Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Have your children had COVID?

Options
  • 19-10-2020 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭

I'm interested to know what the experience is like of families where the children have had COVID. What kind of symptoms did they have?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Hi Fits,

This reads a bit like surveying people here. Typical symptoms have been widely reported in the news. What are you looking for, that wouldn't be covered in the Coronavirus forum?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭salamiii

they get few symptoms and get less sick

the whole family gets it unless they isolate

and some family members may die

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭SweetSand

I would be genuinely interested in this thread as well, we all know symptoms but cases are so different. For me it would be especially interesting to know if someone got it from their kids rather than kids got it from parents and how severe kids symptoms were. My 39 y.o. friend got it in June (not in Ireland), she ended up in hospital for 10 days, double sided pneumonia, treated with strong antibiotics, allowed to sleep on belly only and etc, she had classical symptoms: cough, temperature, loss of taste, smell and appetite, diarrhoea for 3 weeks :( Her husband tested positive as well but only very minor symptoms like fatigue. Their 2 boys, 5 and 7 y.o. tested positive with absolutely no symptoms. She was sending me videos of them running around the house like lunatics, so they didn’t even have cold like symptoms. I do wonder is this common? I have 7 and 9 y.o. girls going to school so worry all the time :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

salamiii wrote: »
    they get few symptoms and get less sick

the whole family gets it unless they isolate

and some family members may die

Helpfull posts only please.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭fits

Hi Fits,

This reads a bit like surveying people here. Typical symptoms have been widely reported in the news. What are you looking for, that wouldn't be covered in the Coronavirus forum?

I guess I want to know how families have coped. eg we are a family of four, and if all of us became very sick Im not sure what we would do. Also wondering if any children with very mild cold symptoms have tested positive. Current advice is to restrict movements and observe for 48 hours with cold symptoms (i.e runny nose with no temperature or cough)

ITs so hard to know what to expect with this virus!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I only know indirectly of one child tbh, temperature, cough...for a few days...that was it.Age 7.
    The other few I know of, there were little or no symptoms or they only lasted a day or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

It is a funny one to try and manage.. We were away and all kinda felt run down and the two kids have tummy bugs, but no temp. But to play safe we just stayed in for I suppose the 14 days did not interact with people just kept to us. Herself then ran a high temp during the first lock down and same thing her belly was a little off, and so was she. Took her to the doc and he said she was grand it was probably teething. But again to be sure we kept to ourselfs for the few days until she was feeling better.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MiliMe

I know this is an old post. But. My daughter, who's almost 2, got it. Had bad cough, runny nose and was not eating as well as usual. Spiked a fever so doc sent her for a test. She tested positive and was a bit miserable with symptoms above for maybe 5 days.
    The rest of our family nor any of her class in creche tested positive...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

thats well good to know in a way. Glad she got over it ok and ye are all good.

It is a strange one, we are due to travel soon and were thinking well if one of us (parents) got tested to see if we had it without many symptoms, then we would know if either or us have it. But then really from this we would both need to get tested or all of us. A bit annoying as we rang the docs but they wont test unless we have a list of things...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Right now I think describing symptoms is pointless. We know the symptoms are broad and varied in type and severity. I would be interested to see future research that could identify symptoms and correlate them to blood type, gender, age, overall health etc. Will it become clear why some people have such severe symptoms etc.

Glad those whose kids have have it were relatively unscathed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement