Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin 1Gb now available.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

La Haine wrote: »
    Had an engineer out yesterday to investigate why my WiFi kept cutting out incrementally every say.

He mentioned some yoke that was coming out of the wall couldn’t handle the increased bandwidth and something about less channels that caused the router to keep dropping and searching for new channels. The original thing was fine for up to 500Mb but not the 1000Mb apparently.

Also, you have to swap out to the new splitter, which I had done anyway.

He also manually changed channels in settings.

I know I explained all this badly, but have a look at the attached pics to see what I’m talking about.

I haven’t noticed the WiFi drop since; now that I think of it.

I asked him about using a better modem and he said yeah, that’s what he does at home too. He mentioned getting Tech to switch me to IPV4 instead of IPV6.

Why would I need to do that can someone explain? What’s the difference in them?

And lastly, for the sake of so implicitly, what router in the €100/150 region would someone recommend?

I read up on the Deco M5 mesh and I would probably have got that only you can’t seem to be able to split the signals and I really need to be able to do that, as my MacBook, upstairs, won’t connect to the 5ghz otherwise.

Thanks all

Hi,

What did you change your splitter to?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

scamalert wrote: »
    if you get 500 on ethernet directly connected then it seems like its capped at that speed. i was with VM before on 500m, and it wasnt hard to get full 500 on ethernet cable, switched to VF last week and yes getting above 900+ when wired seems to fluctuate between choosing different servers as low as 800s but overall about 60mb short of gig.

Would you say its worth switching from VM to VF. Is a it more stable connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

beauf wrote: »
    Would you say its worth switching from VM to VF. Is a it more stable connection.
    never seen many complaining about siro connection, they deliver 1gb almost straight if wired and has lower latency.

i switched purely of cost, as had every deal under the sun from vm in the years 3mo half price, few 6mo half prices and upgrades from 250,360,500mb on top up to single 9mo half price, but once you get that they never give it again so best they could offer was 6mo half price.

where vodafone worked out almost 200euro cheaper just to switch, plus can move to likes of digiweb,sky etc if i want to after a year so its a good future proofing option.

theres few other things one needs to consider as VF install AP wherever its closest, so if house isnt wired with ethernet you could end up having AP downstairs, signal is still better then VM hub, but smth to keep in mind, if your wifi mostly user, or dont want to roll few cables trough the ceiling etc to wire up yourself.

As nothing against VM their uptime is 99.9% over the years i had em, but constant price hikes, specially if one doesnt get deals by calling em each year to negotiate, they will be losing quite few customers by charging extra, as they have still stronghold on those that can only get coax connection and VM exploits that, but once siro is in the area they cant compete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Sounds worth the roll of the dice anyway. I've always thought my VM wasn't quite as good as it should be.

TV product with VF, passable or avoid?

Sounds worth the roll of the dice anyway. I've always thought my VM wasn't quite as good as it should be.

TV product with VF, passable or avoid?
    im only BB user, netflix etc for rest, not even sure they offer any tbf, think sky would be on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭La Haine

iba wrote: »
    Hi,

What did you change your splitter to?

Thanks

One he brought with him. I uploaded a pic of it a few posts back. It nestles into the wall now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I switched to VF Gigabit recently. I ca occasionally get 1GBs but most of the time it is < 200Mbs and I've even had it as low a 50-60in the evenings. I also have had to buy a VPN to get IPTv working as VF seem to block or cause beffering. VM has always been stable.

I switched to VF Gigabit recently. I ca occasionally get 1GBs but most of the time it is < 200Mbs and I've even had it as low a 50-60in the evenings. I also have had to buy a VPN to get IPTv working as VF seem to block or cause beffering. VM has always been stable.
    speed is relative term for 1gb, since if you have non congested line to some server max download speed would be actually 125mb/s , as you have to divide speed by 8 bits to get actual transfer rate.

as if u use vpn most likely its capped, no one will let you use their max bandwidth, as simple example provider could have 100Gb line, but they have 10000 users so to avoid any bottleneck issues you simply cap people at 100 mb. which is enough for streaming gaming etc.

point in all of this is for max speed to be utilized other end has to have clear line that allows same speeds, which often isnt anywhere close to what you have at home. Since as networking goes its far complex then to say i have 1gb line at home and i expect to get 1gb out of it all the time.

good example is to open command promt and type in tracert www.xxx.com website or whatever and see the list of routers it has to traverse to get to destination server, theres app that also do visual how ping hops between continents before hitting actual server, now multiply that by millions users using same sites add in congestion delay, and its not as simple a to b as most imagine internet is setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Arkiema

No WIFI 6 enabled devices as yet but will be keeping an eye on the new iphone prices and release date.

I have rejigged my set up somewhat and wireless speeds have improved, ipad / iphone now consistently 500mbps+ after placing Orbi into AP mode and disabling WIFI on the Virgin Media Hub. Probably the best I could hope for really and maybe with more powerful devices these would increase further. The variations in speed test depending on what server I connect too are interesting, some appear to generate significantly faster speeds irrespective of server location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭alec76

Arkiema wrote: »
    No WIFI 6 enabled devices as yet but will be keeping an eye on the new iphone prices and release date.

I have rejigged my set up somewhat and wireless speeds have improved, ipad / iphone now consistently 500mbps+ a.
    You are grand now, for the wi fi 5 devices it is as best you could get really,
    Apple devices not the fastest compare to some Android top of the range phone.
    Forget about top of the range , Google Pixel 3a ( €129) beats my iPad Pro 11" in wireless speeds.,( Both WiFi 5)
    ps.
    And YEs , most of the speed test servers not capable to supply 1 Gbit speeds every given minute. You have to keep this in mind too

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

I’ve an unusual issue with the TV box - I’m getting blurry images/flickering images on certain channels. It’s unusual, it only seems to happen on certain channels such as RTÉ one and Sky Sports Golf HD.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭degsie

Shane732 wrote: »
    I’ve an unusual issue with the TV box - I’m getting blurry images/flickering images on certain channels. It’s unusual, it only seems to happen on certain channels such as RTÉ one and Sky Sports Golf HD.

Any ideas?

I think this thread is about broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

scamalert wrote: »
    speed is relative term for 1gb, since if you have non congested line to some server max download speed would be actually 125mb/s , as you have to divide speed by 8 bits to get actual transfer rate.

as if u use vpn most likely its capped, no one will let you use their max bandwidth, as simple example provider could have 100Gb line, but they have 10000 users so to avoid any bottleneck issues you simply cap people at 100 mb. which is enough for streaming gaming etc.

point in all of this is for max speed to be utilized other end has to have clear line that allows same speeds, which often isnt anywhere close to what you have at home. Since as networking goes its far complex then to say i have 1gb line at home and i expect to get 1gb out of it all the time.

good example is to open command promt and type in tracert www.xxx.com website or whatever and see the list of routers it has to traverse to get to destination server, theres app that also do visual how ping hops between continents before hitting actual server, now multiply that by millions users using same sites add in congestion delay, and its not as simple a to b as most imagine internet is setup.

I understand all that as I work in SW dev. But my point is that the VF network isn't as consistent as VM is. Like I said - I can see speed test results close or near 1GB at quiet times but here on a Satuday night - even VF to VF is only 8mb. It's a pretty vast difference.

k8Sbn0J

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭alec76

Vodafone is quite congested network , not sure for the SIRO part ,but definitely on OpenEir FTTH. Interconnect mostly the cause of it ( links between OpenEir exchanges and Vodafone’s servers ) as they using third party suppliers to do this .
    It is not bad every place , but some parts of the country struggling, especially COVID-19 times . I wouldn’t go with Vodafone, regardless how cheap are they.
    Plenty other choices really. Eir NETWORK is top of the art , I am currently with them , apart from the dreadful customer support they one of the best .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Quick query. I been told the the VM fibre cable can be used for fibre to the home with openeir. I'm assuming that this is wrong.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

irishgeo wrote: »
    Quick query. I been told the the VM fibre cable can be used for fibre to the home with openeir. I'm assuming that this is wrong.

Yes, that's incorrect. Virgin Media's fibre network is private and managed by them and at the moment they do not have any offering that uses Open Eir Fibre. Open Eir are effectively wholesalers and other providers like Eir, Vodafone, Digiweb etc can offer you service over Open Eir's Fibre network.

You think a company selling openeir would know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,564 ✭✭✭CoBo55

They do. It's all about committing the customer to a contract, sliding them past the 14 day cooling off period and that's it, hooked for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Most retail BB salespeople have zero idea about the product they're selling.

my fritzbox modem arrived for my changeover to openeir reseller on Thursday, kn are calling.

I connected it to the vm box as a test. I tested the wifi and the fritzbox was 100mb faster on my mobile wifi using speedtest?.

moving to openeir for 500mb for 20 euro cheaper a month than VM.

if all goes well with kn on Thursday. I was advised not to cancel just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

if all goes well with kn on Thursday. I was advised not to cancel just yet.

With non OE to OE or vice versa leaving an overlap is always good. For one months tariff its worth it to cover yourself in case of a failed install.

ED E wrote: »
    With non OE to OE or vice versa leaving an overlap is always good. For one months tariff its worth it to cover yourself in case of a failed install.

yeah anything could be wrong, duct issues anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭deravarra

Are all the teething problems that people have been experiencing sorted now?

deravarra wrote: »
    Are all the teething problems that people have been experiencing sorted now?

Well, I don’t know if anybody else experienced this, but I found that the 5ghz channel kept intermittently dropping. It was driving me mad. Engineer came out and tweaked some of the settings, like manually selecting each bands channel, but the issue persisted.

I bought a TP-Link Archer AX20 and turned Virgins box onto Modem Mode last week. So far I’ve had no 5ghz drops that I’ve noticed.

Well, I don’t know if anybody else experienced this, but I found that the 5ghz channel kept intermittently dropping. It was driving me mad. Engineer came out and tweaked some of the settings, like manually selecting each bands channel, but the issue persisted.

I bought a TP-Link Archer AX20 and turned Virgins box onto Modem Mode last week. So far I’ve had no 5ghz drops that I’ve noticed.

So, would you think it fair to say that the service is ok and stable if you are using a third party wireless solution?

So, would you think it fair to say that the service is ok and stable if you are using a third party wireless solution?

Seems to be; so far at least.

Seems to be; so far at least.

On my hub 3 I had 2 dropouts today. A royal pain when WFH and through a VPN. Once logged back in, everything needs to be set up again.

Have you seen any dropouts from the hub when connected to a 3rs party router?

On my hub 3 I had 2 dropouts today. A royal pain when WFH and through a VPN. Once logged back in, everything needs to be set up again.

Not that I noticed yet. Set it up on Friday and so far so good. You’d want Virgin to switch you to ipv4 and then switch your box to Modem mode.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I've had no issues and a stable connection. I've been using the VM in modem mode from the start.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The key to happiness with VM's internet service is too use your own good quality gear IME.

I'm not on 1gig, just 250mb/s, but I've been WFH for years, dialled into VPN and with ssh for 14 hours a day and using my own router it is rock solid. Though if you can, I find using ethernet too, rather then wifi helps a lot.

Advertisement