Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options for enforcing no parking on a private road

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Cyrus wrote: »
    Maybe it is Dublin or specific to some of the cc’s not sure.

You need planning for gates and it’s unlikely to be granted but we may try again.

And yes clamping is an option.

Clamping is crass and also likely to be ineffective and do you really want Karen doing your head in over how you scratched the wheel of her Kia?

Worse yet is if a visitor was to be clamped, crazy embarrassing. Gates are the answer the question is who do we have to pay to get gates .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Perhaps it's a Dublin thing

OMCs for estates are not a uniquely Dublin thing.

Marcusm wrote: »
    It’s entirely relevant. When people see your fellow members acting in this manner with impunity conjoined with relative inaction for other matter such as on pavement parking, double yellow parking etc, they feel that they can do the same thing themselves.

There is a thing in the Irish psyche that we like to push the limits, thumb our nose at authority (maybe an anti-British thing). The effect of this is that we can rarely have nice things and not have them besmirched.

Gardai should be like Caesar’s wife, ie above reproach, as opposed to poster children for rule breakers.

Wasn’t if Bill Brattton who called it the broken windows theory - little infringements whic are allowed to be unpunished result in a greater impact of lawlessness on people generally.

How the **** is my occupation or what Gardai do relevant to this thread about trespassing in a private estate? Come off it.

I got a speeding ticket before as well. Think to confuse us with the pope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Vestiapx wrote: »
    I'd have serious issues with the dog dirt but is that not something you could use to your advantage ? Get some of the dirt analysed and there will likely be something in it that will be a danger to the local kids or dogs and use this as leverage . Next as a group of high net worth individuals you should employ someone to lobby on your behalf in order to get automatic gates approved. Nothing is set in stone and any spend will more than be made up for in the resulting gain in house prices.

High net worth individuals don’t tend to live in estates like these. The council in questions’ policy regarding gated communities isn’t going to change any time soon either.

That said, there’s no excuse for anyone not picking up after their dog, regardless of the location.

What's the difference, I'm from the country so I genuinely have no idea what a private road or a public road looks like. I have no experience of what I assume is suburban living.

It's very simple, who maintains it. If a public authority doesn't, it ain't public.

• Advertisement

Perhaps it's a Dublin thing as I know of plenty of completed developments yet none with management companies.

If that's the case I fail to see why OP can't just do as previously mentioned and put in gates or clamping and forget about the council taking charge as it obviously wont happen.

Who cleans the road and repairs it?

I full to see the confusion here. The council don't clean or repair the roads inside the estate because they aren't public. Yup can't just build a road and then wipe your hands, voila a new public road for the council to take care of

spyderski wrote: »
    High net worth individuals don’t tend to live in estates like these. The council in questions’ policy regarding gated communities isn’t going to change any time soon either.

That said, there’s no excuse for anyone not picking up after their dog, regardless of the location.

High net worth is 1 million dollars in assets. Previous poster said that the house was 900k and there are many gates in South co dublin

High net worth is 1 million dollars in assets. Previous poster said that the house was 900k and there are many gates in South co dublin

Dunno about dollars, and not sure if having a mortgage reduces this somewhat? €900k doesn’t make you rich around these parts anyhow.

Lots of gated communities around here. None built since the council adopted its current policy about 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

High net worth individuals don’t tend to live in estates like these.

No they would have their own house on their own plot like you and have access to senior counsels to antagonise their neighbours:D

You should also tell Lochlann Quinn about this, he will probably be surprised ;)

Dunno about dollars, and not sure if having a mortgage reduces this somewhat? €900k doesn’t make you rich around these parts anyhow.

Lots of gated communities around here. None built since the council adopted its current policy about 10 years ago.

Ok; thank you; bye bye.

• Advertisement

No they would have their own house on their own plot like you and have access to senior counsels to antagonise their neighbours:D

You should also tell Lochlann Quinn about this, he will probably be surprised ;)

Is that the problem? Are you also worried about sustaining damage to your multi million euro Ferrari collection? Now it all makes sense. Riff raff out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Perhaps it's a Dublin thing as I know of plenty of completed developments yet none with management companies.

If that's the case I fail to see why OP can't just do as previously mentioned and put in gates or clamping and forget about the council taking charge as it obviously wont happen.

Not a Dublin thing, these privately owned developments are all over Ireland. It’s not a necessity to have a managed development but a lot were conditions of planning so the council didn’t have to take care of them when completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Is that the problem? Are you also worried about sustaining damage to your multi million euro Ferrari collection? Now it all makes sense. Riff raff out.

According to you we are the riff raff , are we not ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Who cleans the road and repairs it?

I full to see the confusion here. The council don't clean or repair the roads inside the estate because they aren't public. Yup can't just build a road and then wipe your hands, voila a new public road for the council to take care of

It happens all the time. My estate was finished in 1996. No gates. Council to this day still haven’t taken it in charge.

Developer is well gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,983 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

99nsr125 wrote: »
    If someone has a problem with a dad or mom picking up a 6 or 8 year old, they have a problem with everyone. Lest we forget we were all 6 or 8 year olds picked up by our dad or mom. So the op doesn't want any not from our area people having the audacity to stray in off the street

Speak for yourself. Some of us walked or cycled or took the bus, and weren't picked up by dad or mom.

Gumbo wrote: »
    It happens all the time. My estate was finished in 1996. No gates. Council to this day still haven’t taken it in charge.

Developer is well gone.

Correct and its on you as the owners, to maintain. Thats exactly what I said.

It’s not limited to the school we have had issues with people parking as long as I have been here , mostly visiting people in houses down the road and then also using our estate as a place to walk their dogs as the view is nice and it’s a place for them to defecate freely it would seem.

Jeez, that's awful, people defecating freely around your estate. You should definitely do something about that.
    Clamping is crass and also likely to be ineffective and do you really want Karen doing your head in over how you scratched the wheel of her Kia?

Worse yet is if a visitor was to be clamped, crazy embarrassing. Gates are the answer the question is who do we have to pay to get gates .

Karen will do the clampers heads in, and they'll be well used to it. Karen won't whinge her way out of this one.

The only embarrassment arising from a visitor being clamped is the embarrassment of the visitor for parking illegally. No-one else has anything to be embarrassed about.

What's the difference, I'm from the country so I genuinely have no idea what a private road or a public road looks like. I have no experience of what I assume is suburban living.
    Then don't park on roads. This is your problem to solve. Your ignorance isn't someone else's problem to solve. Get your own act together and don't park on streets until you know what the story is.
    High net worth individuals don’t tend to live in estates like these.
    Actually, quite a few do live in managed estates, like the K Club, Mount Juliet, and what was the fancy one in Malahide for the northsiders (yer man from Anglo Irish and some of the Boyzone or Westlife lads).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

AndrewJRenko, fair warning. Next trolling post wins you a thread ban at minimum.

Do not reply to this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Speak for yourself. Some of us walked or cycled or took the bus, and weren't picked up by dad or mom.

I do and I have done all of those things when older not as a 6 year old, young children need to be accompanied and you're not going to walk or cycle in the hammering rain.

I do and I have done all of those things when older not as a 6 year old, young children need to be accompanied and you're not going to walk or cycle in the hammering rain.

I can assure you I did walk by the age of 6 and no, lifts were not provided just because it was raining. It's Ireland ffs, that's every second day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

This thread reminds me of an apartment block i rented in years ago.
    There was loads of parking in the place. So much so that there werent even any designated parking spaces. No need.
    There was a creche around the corner on a main road and some of the parents you to park in there when bringing their kids to and from creche. No problem at all. So much space to park.
    So this one resident banded a few others together and got 2 space marked out for each apartment. So people used to park in the no marked out space. Still loads of room.
    Next thing there was a clamping company brought in. And there is the woman every day sitting at her window checking and calling the clamper when a car would park there.
    It got so bad that visitors to people living there were getting clamped.
    Had she nothing else to do but spend her days working on a cause for no other reason than she didnt want people parking in HER apartment block car park.
    People need to lighten up.

Problems with gates are a much more immediate, pressing issue, and indeed a possible safety and security issue. If you don't have a sinking fund, people can still get in and out.

We've an automated gate where I live. It stops working occasionally, it's 50/50 if it's open or closed when it gives trouble. There's a way to open it when it won't open using a mechanical key in a locked box. The insurance company did indeed request modifications to the gate in the last few years to ensure it's safe (sensors in case there's someone in it's path etc etc) ............. Overall, it's brilliant, works well and doesn't cost much when the cost is spread out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

JimmyVik wrote: »
    This thread reminds me of an apartment block i rented in years ago.
    There was loads of parking in the place. So much so that there werent even any designated parking spaces. No need.
    There was a creche around the corner on a main road and some of the parents you to park in there when bringing their kids to and from creche. No problem at all. So much space to park.
    So this one resident banded a few others together and got 2 space marked out for each apartment. So people used to park in the no marked out space. Still loads of room.
    Next thing there was a clamping company brought in. And there is the woman every day sitting at her window checking and calling the clamper when a car would park there.
    It got so bad that visitors to people living there were getting clamped.
    Had she nothing else to do but spend her days working on a cause for no other reason than she didnt want people parking in HER apartment block car park.
    People need to lighten up.
    you think that's bad? Near where I live there is an apartment block with the car park on the ground underneath (the block is effectively on stilts). One of the residents got out of his car one day and was approaching the lift shaft. Out from behind a pillar steps a woman who demands to know who years and wary is going. He explains that he is a resident of 10 years standing and continues. 30 seconds later before he gets to the lift shaft another woman appears and a similar conversation ensues.
    These women were standing behind pillars in the car park trying to catch trespassers, not even sitting in their apartments.

Lots of people walk or cycle in the rain, though I would disagree with the other poster about how often this happens.

https://irishcycle.com/myths/myths-weather/

I'd agree about accompanying a six year old, but there are lots of children of an age not necessarily requiring adult accompanying being chauffeured short distances to school, just because.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I walked to school in the rain, snow, hail and wind. I also walk to work in the rain as well, I wear a raincoat! Irish people are so reliant on their cars, no wonder obesity is at such a high level.

I can assure you I did walk by the age of 6 and no, lifts were not provided just because it was raining. It's Ireland ffs, that's every second day!

I never said you didn't.

I said young children need to be accompanied and not drowned on the way there or home because that's a fantastic way to get sick.

If you think it's alright to send a small child off to school in the rain on her own maybe you should talk to some other parents because it's not.

Lux23 wrote: »
    I walked to school in the rain, snow, hail and wind. I also walk to work in the rain as well, I wear a raincoat! Irish people are so reliant on their cars, no wonder obesity is at such a high level.

As an adult you can make a choice for yourself but as a parent your default choice will always be the option that keeps your children warm, dry and safe. Your choice will not be cold or wet or unguided for children. The latter choice may even be ascribed as neglect.

There are lots of warm and dry places to exercise, obseity is a function of available lifestyle and inequality, simply more income allows better choices and better lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭coolbeans

As an adult you can make a choice for yourself but as a parent your default choice will always be the option that keeps your children warm, dry and safe. Your choice will not be cold or wet or unguided for children. The latter choice may even be ascribed as neglect.

There are lots of warm and dry places to exercise, obseity is a function of available lifestyle and inequality, simply more income allows better choices and better lifestyle.

Such dramatics over a bit of rain. Just clad the kids in a rain gear and wellies and walk with them to school. They're not made of sugar you know. This notion that their walking in rain is somehow neglectful and unsafe is just ridiculous. Poor Oisín and Fionn can take a bit of splashing in the 'hammering' rain if parents dress them properly. No need to be clogging up the whole place and trespassing with SUVs just to keep them 'warm, dry and safe'. Such hand wringing nonsense.

I never said you didn't.

I said young children need to be accompanied and not drowned on the way there or home because that's a fantastic way to get sick.

It's actually a fantastic way to stay healthy, and to set down habits of a lifetime that don't encourage obesity and don't poison your neighbours and classmates with toxic emissions.

I recall some research showing how children perform better academically in school when they use active modes of travel.

• Advertisement

coolbeans wrote: »
    Such dramatics over a bit of rain. Just clad the kids in a rain gear and wellies and walk with them to school. They're not made of sugar you know. This notion that their walking in rain is somehow neglectful and unsafe is just ridiculous. Poor Oisín and Fionn can take a bit of splashing in the 'hammering' rain if parents dress them properly. No need to be clogging up the whole place and trespassing with SUVs just to keep them 'warm, dry and safe'. Such hand wringing nonsense.

It's not dramatic, it's the truth, not everyone lives five minutes from their school. A classmate of mine who was almost exactly the same distance from school as me developed pneumonia after getting wet on the way there.

My primary school for an adult was a half an hour walk away and three quarters of an hour for my cousin and an adult walks circa 50% faster than a child. Also to set aside as a parent working or not 2 or 3 hours from your day to walk your children to school is completely unfeasible. They need to get to and from there in a timely and safe manner.

Advertisement