Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Rail jobs

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Got the email about the new "trial test" and just did it. It's no joke. It's not hard , am fairly sure had no wrong answers but nearly 80 of the same kind of questions. After a while you're like "Ah Jesus another one". In case any of ye are tempted. lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Got the email about the new "trial test" and just did it. It's no joke. It's not hard , am fairly sure had no wrong answers but nearly 80 of the same kind of questions. After a while you're like "Ah Jesus another one". In case any of ye are tempted. lol

I have been asked to do the trial tests now twice. Never done them although I may if asked again as I an intrigued as to what is in them.

Having been through the recruitment process once already, there are no "wrong answers" in some on the tests. All the options are right (if multiple choice) but you need to pick the right one.

From what you described, it sounds like a test I did in my late teens many years ago.

Asked the same set of questions in 100 different ways to see if you answer the same way everytime . There was a few questions that needed lateral thinking.

Was it something similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The one myself and Justaburner did was checking tickets.

There were several different criteria that had to be met.

And you had to say how many errors there were.

There were 70 to check. You started to go a bit googly at them after a while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

prinzeugen wrote: »
    I have been asked to do the trial tests now twice. Never done them although I may if asked again as I an intrigued as to what is in them.

Having been through the recruitment process once already, there are no "wrong answers" in some on the tests. All the options are right (if multiple choice) but you need to pick the right one.

From what you described, it sounds like a test I did in my late teens many years ago.

Asked the same set of questions in 100 different ways to see if you answer the same way everytime . There was a few questions that needed lateral thinking.

Was it something similar?

A series of temperature gauges relating to engine/control panel components and a selection criteria that went 1) Zone (1,2 or 3 colour coded) 2) Temperature. Select the order to check the components based on this. More attention to detail and attention span than anything.

A series of temperature gauges relating to engine/control panel components and a selection criteria that went 1) Zone (1,2 or 3 colour coded) 2) Temperature. Select the order to check the components based on this. More attention to detail and attention span than anything.

I will not give away stiff.. Looks similar to a test....

• Advertisement

Seems similar in construction as ours.

Just a case of being alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

Just did the ticket checking trial tests. Tight for time on 2 outta the 4 test. I found the Verification ones a a lot easier (having done the bigger one beforehand!) and better for time.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Quadrivium

Maybe these "trial tests" are just another way to determine if the person requested to take them is the type of person they're looking for. I know it says it won't have any impact on the recruitment process but maybe they want to see if you're the type of person who will do it to help out rather than out of an obligation.

I got the requests but haven't done them, yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

Quadrivium wrote: »
    Maybe these "trial tests" are just another way to determine if the person requested to take them is the type of person they're looking for. I know it says it won't have any impact on the recruitment process but maybe they want to see if you're the type of person who will do it to help out rather than out of an obligation.

I got the requests but haven't done them, yet.

I know someone that done the tests, I doubt this due to the fact that the information they are suggesting is then misleading.
    No information will be passed to Irish rail.
    It does not impact the current test status.

There is no reading between the lines opc will be open to potential legal action if they use it against other candidates that chose not to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Beebop20

Anyone hear back yet after the 3 online tests??
    Got the email about trial tests but haven't got results from actual tests yet, did them on 22nd Sept

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭DarkJ

Beebop20 wrote: »
    Got the email about trial tests but haven't got results from actual tests yet, did them on 22nd Sept

If it's any help, I remember last time around it took approx. 8 weeks to hear back from them. There wasn't any result as such, just to say I'd made it through to the next stage.

Thanks for the info 👍 might have a few more weeks to wait so...

Beebop20 wrote: »

It was 10 months for me last time. Don't go handing your notice in yet!

Haha I won't... 10 months is a long time to wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Justaburner

DarkJ wrote: »
    If it's any help, I remember last time around it took approx. 8 weeks to hear back from them. There wasn't any result as such, just to say I'd made it through to the next stage.

Yeah nothing back yet here either.

That said, people had until the 26/9 to finish the tests, we're not even 4 weeks past deadline yet.

Its the hope that kills you!! :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Vinnyda

I completed the application for the driver job 4 weeks ago and I haven't heard anything back from them yet, no confirmation email to say that they'll be in touch etc.... just hoping that that I haven't misspelled my email address on the application, anyone else in the same boat???

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Justaburner

Yeah they dont send a confirmation email. Just let you know if youve been succesful.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Vinnyda

Yeah they dont send a confirmation email. Just let you know if youve been succesful.

Thanks for the reply Justaburner, hopefully I will hear something soon, I think I must have applied right near the end of the application window and they are working through the people who applied at the start

Waiting is a killer! Dying to know either way... with the way jobs are atm it would be great to get through to the next round of tests,

It said in the email to complete the test ASAP as they might go on a first come first served basis, thatsxwhy I did it on the 22nd... hopefully its not dragged out too long ��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭TheShepard

GavRedKing wrote: »
    New training course starting in Feb/Mar but he was told if he says no now, they couldn't guarantee they'll be doing regional appointments in the short term.

He was more than happy to take it though.

I'll try get him to come on here and talk about it but it seems like pretty much everything else is covered here.

I throw an eye over the forum too. I just passed out as a driver so any questions belt away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

TheShepard wrote: »
    I throw an eye over the forum too. I just passed out as a driver so any questions belt away.

Congrads.

Congratulations

I was wondering what the timeline for everything you went through was if you wouldn't mind sharing.

Be nice to have an idea what the next year may have in store if I'm lucky.

Congratulations

I was wondering what the timeline for everything you went through was if you wouldn't mind sharing.

Be nice to have an idea what the next year may have in store if I'm lucky.

Started in November. Finished class and tests end of march. Then there was a hold up because of the virus and we got driving in June. Then it depends on driving hours and darkness hours. (All depots are different in regards hours done this can be due to mentor availability or rostering.) All in I'd say 9 - 12months till you are on your own.

Hope that helps

Started in November. Finished class and tests end of march. Then there was a hold up because of the virus and we got driving in June. Then it depends on driving hours and darkness hours. (All depots are different in regards hours done this can be due to mentor availability or rostering.) All in I'd say 9 - 12months till you are on your own.

Hope that helps

Yeah, just an idea. So about 4 months from starting training to end of training. That sounds intensive! So all in all a year in your case because of Covid, so likely 9 months under normal circumstances?

Congratulations again you must be delighted!

Yeah, just an idea. So about 4 months from starting training to end of training. That sounds intensive! So all in all a year in your case because of vivid so likely 9 months under normal circumstances?

Congratulations again you must be delighted!

5 months classwork and sims. But most the learning is really being out driving. Yep, nearly on the year bang on for me.

Ya I'm delighted to say the least!

5 months classwork and sims. But most the learning is really being out driving. Yep, nearly on the year bang on for me.

Ya I'm delighted to say the least!

Where ya based?

Any idea what your first drive will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Congrats.

Did ya get setup in a hotel in Dublin for training or are ya alright based in Dublin?

Sounds like the learning and sims is pretty intense.

I'm on the roster now and driving already.

I'm Galway. Was in mallow for training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 bellatrix1

What's the salary while training

Advertisement