Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! My landlord fooled me!

• 16-10-2020 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi, this is my first thread and I'm not Irish, so I will start apologizing for my English.

I have been renting an apartment for 1 year. It was the apartment 4, but it was in the first floor. Below me there was a store. On my right, another apartment. And in the second floor two apartments more.

Now I'm in another apartment, with another landlord, and I'm discovering that the procedure is being quite different.
    There are a lot of things that make me suspect that my old landlord is doing something illegal:
    - I never received the letter from RTB saying that I'm registered as a tenant. In my new apartment I received it the first week.
    - I searched in rtb. ie and that apartment is not registered.
    - I found in pleanala. ie a document who grants to my landlord permission to develop "2 no. apartments, in a three-storey building together with communal garden and associated works." The document says that in the building there are 2 apartments of 3 bedrooms, but in fact in the building there are 4 apartments, and mine had only one bedroom.
    - I discovered that one wall on the apartment was different to the rest of the walls, and the front door of the apartment looked like an inner door with an extra lock.
    - Our landlord told us the apartment's eircode, but that eircode was the same that the shop below us. When we arrived to Ireland we didn't know that each home has their own eircode, so we thought that the eircode was the same for all the apartments in the building. But then we discovered that the other apartment in our floor had a different eircode.

I think that my landlord had 2 apartments, and he raised a wall to obtain more money renting 4 apartments.

The thing is that he was nice with us all the time, but at the end of the tenancy we had some problems to get back part of the deposit. I don't care about the money, but if he is doing something illegal I would like to report it. Basically because he thought that as I'm young and new in the country I'm stupid (we are two and he made us pay each month 160€ fixed for electricity and gas, and now in my new apartment we are paying 60-70€), and now with the deposit he is trying to trick me again and I'm sick of it. I told him that I was going to talk with RTB for a mediation but he is very insistent that I shouldn't do it and that we can work it out between us. He's telling me that I'm causing him a lot of problems and that with the coronavirus he just wants to take care of his family.

I'm gonna talk with RTB anyway, probably I'm gonna ask for an adjudication but I would like to ask here if someone with more experience could recommend me the best approach to do this, and I would like to know if I could have any problem with the revenue or something if I have been living for a year in an apartment that is not registered and that technically doesn't exists.

I'm so sorry for the long and bad redacted text. Thank you so much for your help.

Comments

Seems pretty straight forward, he either pays up for you to shut up or it's the rtb who will decide.

A foolish man if he's messing people about without being legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭mikemac2

cokito1 wrote: »
    Basically because he thought that as I'm young and new in the country I'm stupid (we are two and he made us pay each month 160€ fixed for electricity and gas, and now in my new apartment we are paying 60-70€),

You were cheated

Better English than many here by the way, even me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

You have nothing to worry about from revenue or anything like that, lodge your claim with the RTB and follow their process. It's not your responsibility to ensure the place is registered or that the landlord pays tax (assuming he is based in Ireland).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

hi OP

Text him and say this

'If you do not want me to talk to RTB, I suggest you pay back my deposit straight away. Thanks.'

won't be waiting too long then!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cokito1

Seems pretty straight forward, he either pays up for you to shut up or it's the rtb who will decide.

A foolish man if he's messing people about without being legit.

Well, we're talking about about 500 euros that luckily I don't need, so I don't really care about the money, I'm more interested in closing the scam and getting revenge because he treated me like a fool. So I'm going to talk directly to the RTB, but I just want to make sure this won't have any legal implications for me.

• Advertisement

mikemac2 wrote: »
    You were cheated

Better English than many here by the way, even me :pac:

I know... At least my new landlord is amazing, this is her house and she rents it only because she has had to move to another county.

Smee_Again wrote: »
    You have nothing to worry about from revenue or anything like that, lodge your claim with the RTB and follow their process. It's not your responsibility to ensure the place is registered or that the landlord pays tax (assuming he is based in Ireland).

Thanks for that, then I'm gonna do what you are suggesting. Yes, he is living in Ireland, he has his own company here, or that's what google says :_)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

Talk to the rtb about the deposit.

On the other stuff, the rtb is the most badly organised authority I've ever come across. Letters aren't always sent out and the online register is a disaster, totally inaccurate so I don't think you have a case on either of those.

Planning sites vary hugely from local authority to local authority. There can also be multiple applications and decisions for each property. If you have a concern about that development then you can report it to the planning enforcement department of the local council.

The Eircode thing is a non issue really.

Bills, sounds like you were ripped off but I'm not sure you can do anything about it retrospectively.

hi OP

Text him and say this

'If you do not want me to talk to RTB, I suggest you pay back my deposit straight away. Thanks.'

won't be waiting too long then!

I could... But maybe that could be used against me in a trial... I'm a bit paranoid haha but I prefer to do everything as legal as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Well, we're talking about about 500 euros that luckily I don't need, so I don't really care about the money, I'm more interested in closing the scam and getting revenge because he treated me like a fool. So I'm going to talk directly to the RTB, but I just want to make sure this won't have any legal implications for me.

Say your building is in contravention to the planning permission granted and he is illegally operating as a landlord, and it will only take a few phone calls to have the planning dept, RTB & revenue on his back. Tell him that you had been duped into having paid inflated utility bills, and having your deposit unfairly taken, and you need to be compensated financially, ask him what it is worth to him?

Get a financial settlement from him and then report him

• Advertisement

Caranica wrote: »
    Talk to the rtb about the deposit.

On the other stuff, the rtb is the most badly organised authority I've ever come across. Letters aren't always sent out and the online register is a disaster, totally inaccurate so I don't think you have a case on either of those.

Planning sites vary hugely from local authority to local authority. There can also be multiple applications and decisions for each property. If you have a concern about that development then you can report it to the planning enforcement department of the local council.

The Eircode thing is a non issue really.

Bills, sounds like you were ripped off but I'm not sure you can do anything about it retrospectively.

I understand everything you're saying. Do you think that I could have problems if finally everything was done legally? What I wouldn't want to do is get into a big mess with lawyers and trials for this. He has more experience and money than I do, I wouldn't want to end up having to pay for something. If possible I would just like to report him to the RTB and let them take care of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭SwordofLight

Please do something about this. These types have been leeching money from people for 100s of years. He has no integrity and is taking advantage of you. If you are not going to report him, I will gladly do it for you. I'm sure there are lots of fellow Irishmen and Irishwomen who will fight to improve our country and punish those who are destroying it greedily.

You can look at the website of the local governmental authority for the area and they will guide you on the complaints procedure.

Help us clean up the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I understand everything you're saying. Do you think that I could have problems if finally everything was done legally? What I wouldn't want to do is get into a big mess with lawyers and trials for this. He has more experience and money than I do, I wouldn't want to end up having to pay for something. If possible I would just like to report him to the RTB and let them take care of it.

Typically the PTRB will not deaL with you if you l have not been registered with them .
    <SNIP>

Tell him you want your full deposit back or you will go to the PTRB but are you due your full deposit back? Check before you rush into trouble.

Regarding bills a fixed amount can work in either way and every other apartment and house has a different payment plan or service provider or energy use - spending higher on one does not mean you were necessarily cheated - maybe it is poorly insulated/has too many vents/ windows left open/ single glazing windows or high wLl to glass ratio in a north facing room.. the options are lengthy. Maybe it was metered on a different tarrif and so calculated differently, different heat system etc etc etc

<MORE SNIP>

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Typically the PTRB will not deaL with you if you l have not been registered with them

That is just not correct.

They will deal with tenants. There is no requirement for tenants to register anything.
    I could... But maybe that could be used against me in a trial... I'm a bit paranoid haha but I prefer to do everything as legal as possible.

You're not blackmailing him, you're asking for the return of your deposit.

There is nothing inappropriate about telling him if the deposit is not returned, you will be lodging a case with the RTB.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭salamiii

i can understand your english

Please do something about this. These types have been leeching money from people for 100s of years. He has no integrity and is taking advantage of you. If you are not going to report him, I will gladly do it for you. I'm sure there are lots of fellow Irishmen and Irishwomen who will fight to improve our country and punish those who are destroying it greedily.

You can look at the website of the local governmental authority for the area and they will guide you on the complaints procedure.

Help us clean up the country.

Will do. He wrote us again telling us that if we talk with RTB he is gonna ask for 550€ because he is having potentially losses because of our fault. We stopped answering him. We are going to fill the form today, I will update the thread as soon as RTB call me. Thanks for your support!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Well done, and thank you! Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Thanks for that, then I'm gonna do what you are suggesting. Yes, he is living in Ireland, he has his own company here, or that's what google says :_)

Is it a removal company?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Will do. He wrote us again telling us that if we talk with RTB he is gonna ask for 550€ because he is having potentially losses because of our fault. We stopped answering him. We are going to fill the form today, I will update the thread as soon as RTB call me. Thanks for your support!!

Good luck Cokito1, I'm sorry to hear you'd a bad experience with your first landlord here.

I've rented from about 8 different landlords and they've always been professional but I think there are people who pray on foreigners because they know they are not confident in speaking English.

You're English is very good and you need to be more confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

<SNIP>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

In your submission to the RTB make sure you mention how much you were paying for bills for that time. Request copies of the bills from him and ask for every cent back that you have overpaid on these.

For some reason that would annoy me more than the deposit. Is it fraud?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

There could actually be fire regulations being contravened here also. Particularly if he's using internal doors as front doors.

You could also report him to your local fire chief and request an inspection of the premises. They have the power to shut it down as a residence (costing him rent) in as little as two weeks, he'll then have to spend a lot of money getting it up to code and jump through hoops before being allowed to rent it again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭poker--addict

demand your money back, then report him.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭JustAThought

The OP has concerns about splaying his illegal activities and how revealing ‘this’ might impact on him. If someone who was not due a full deposit pulled a stunt like blackmail on me I woiod make aure all the relevant authorities were informed for all and every illegal activity disclosed. Immigration, Gaurds, Social Welfare, Revenue ; whomever.

PTRB will only deal with disputes with PTRB registered leases and regustered Ll/ tenants - it seems he wasn’t one. OP should remember that he and his life/ career/dependents/reputation will be on display and inspected publically as part of this. All of the vigalante anti landlord warriors have omitted considering this or factoring the full legal consequences in for him/her.

With regard the deposit if he has a valid complaint take it to the landlord again - there may be things both or neither have considered as damage/ bills due/ notice due etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Who said they were not due the deposit back? who said he was trying to get more than he is enitled to?

It is not blackmail to ask for your deposit back, or the part you are entitled to.

There are other authorities you can report this matter with, not the PTRB. Probably the local council, H&S.

😎

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

PTRB will only deal with disputes with PTRB registered leases and regustered Ll/ tenants

JustAThought, for the second time I'm going to point out you are wrong.

Tenants do not have to register or be registered.

529634.jpg

Source: RTB

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.
    Confucius

In your submission to the RTB make sure you mention how much you were paying for bills for that time. Request copies of the bills from him and ask for every cent back that you have overpaid on these.

For some reason that would annoy me more than the deposit. Is it fraud?

Is charging flat rate for gas and electricity fraud ?

• Advertisement

I'd go as far as saying demand your money back they report him in a year's time so he doesn't know it was you. I'm currently waiting till 2121 to report a woman to revenue for blatant tax evasion because she fired me in 2018. There is no way she will think it was me and I just don't want anyone to know it was me. I literally looked up the confidential contact for revenue when it happened
    And then decided I'd wait two years first. Then Covid happened and her business will be suffering and knowing how she operates she will be even more non tax compliant these days so i will leave it till the new year .

Advertisement