Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dodgy labelling?

• 17-12-2019 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭

Would one be correct to think that this labelling is misleading? states on the front “Pure Beef Dripping” , while on the back ingredients are Beef oil and vegetable oil , secondly no % so could be anything from 99:1 down to 60:40 for all I know. Feel free to add any other examples that get your goat.

5011031083028_3.JPG

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=256152669

Ingredients

Animal Oil (Beef), Vegetable Oil (Rapeseed Oil)

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I don't know whether this complies, but nutritional info based upon cooked weight or portions rather than giving per 100g before cooking (at least as well as per portion) for food that requires cooking.

imo it's trying to hide the real nutritional information while technically complying with requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

Should report it to the ASA.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

anacc wrote: »
    Should report it to the ASA.

I did send a query to their website, they havnt responded yet. Im not going to get to upset about a product I didn't buy in the end yeah but I might do that.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

silverharp wrote: »
    Would one be correct to think that this labelling is misleading? states on the front “Pure Beef Dripping” , while on the back ingredients are Beef oil and vegetable oil , secondly no % so could be anything from 99:1 down to 60:40 for all I know. Feel free to add any other examples that get your goat.

Not sure but they probably get around that by saying there is pure beef dripping but that there is another ingredient along with the pure beef dripping in the product Frytex Original, i.e. they could contend that they're not saying Frytex Original is pure beef dripping but that it contains pure beef dripping.

Which may be true but it may also be considered a little misleading.

Not sure but they probably get around that by saying there is pure beef dripping but that there is another ingredient along with the pure beef dripping in the product Frytex Original, i.e. they could contend that they're not saying Frytex Original is pure beef dripping but that it contains pure beef dripping.

Which may be true but it may also be considered a little misleading.

Im sure, I'd also guess the "original" product did not include seed oils. Anyway Ill drop into M&S over the weekend see if they have a real pure beef dripping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

https://www.naturevalley.ie/what-we-make/crunchy-oats-dark-chocolate/

100% Wholegrain Oats!

And by 100% we mean 55%.
    Wholegrain rolled oats (55%), sugar, sunflower oil, dark chocolate pieces (8%)(cocoa mass, sugar, emulsifier: soy lecithin; natural vanilla flavouring), fat reduced cocoa, honey, salt, molasses, emulsifier: sunflower lecithin; raising agent: sodium bicarbonate; natural flavouring. For allergens, see ingredients in bold. May contain peanut and tree nuts ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Carnmore

5011031083028_3.JPG

Did you get a reply from the manufacturer regarding this OP?

I bought a packet the other day and noticed the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Patsy167

I fell for this one last week

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/272061551

INGREDIENTS: Maltodextrin, Sweetener (2%) (Steviol Glycosides).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I don't know whether this complies, but nutritional info based upon cooked weight or portions rather than giving per 100g before cooking (at least as well as per portion) for food that requires cooking.

imo it's trying to hide the real nutritional information while technically complying with requirements.

Yep. Pasta brands are particularly bad for this. Quite a few of them don't specify if the values are for cooked or dry.

Another one is brands that will list the calories on the packaging, and then in teeny writing beside they note that's actually only for a 100g serving.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Cill94 wrote: »
    Yep. Pasta brands are particularly bad for this. Quite a few of them don't specify if the values are for cooked or dry.

Another one is brands that will list the calories on the packaging, and then in teeny writing beside they note that's actually only for a 100g serving.
    Yes. So if you want to portion, you have to bin or suck up extra?

There's a lot of abdication of personal responsibility around weight imo, but those that regulate what is appropriate labelling hardly help matters!

• Advertisement

Patsy167 wrote: »
    I fell for this one last week

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/272061551

INGREDIENTS: Maltodextrin, Sweetener (2%) (Steviol Glycosides).

that is blatant, Tesco get slaughtered in the comments, I never noticed a comments section on Tesco.ie or is it just the UK site that allows comments?

someone pointed this out on Twitter, has a point

https://twitter.com/scary_biscuits/status/1314135225732157441

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Glaistyn

Said I'd clarify what the quantities are, since I was searching like mad online for it and kept finding this thread.

I called the manufacturer. It's 94% Animal Oil, 6% Rapeseed, quantities vary +/- 1% per batch.

What I forgot to ask was if that percentage is w/w, w/v, v/v or what! Since the product is sold in grams I'll assume w/w.

As an FYI if anyone's looking to use this for soapmaking or similar like myself, the density of beef tallow (0.87g/cm^3) vs rapeseed oil (0.91g/cm^3) is close enough that it shouldnt matter for small batches if there's any weight/volume confusion regarding the percentages.

Advertisement