Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyber security certs

• 05-06-2020 7:28am

Hi folks,

Has anyone done either the Isaca CSX (foundation or fundamentals) or Comptia security+ courses? I've been working in cyber security for about 4 years now in sales/AM roles and have a pretty decent understanding of the different technologies and solutions out there as well as a pretty broad understanding of the most common compliance frameworks.

Looking to add a professional cert to the CV and would appreciate feedback from anyone who's had experience of either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Fitzinho

I used comptias cert master q&a Database thing and I thought it was brill. It’s a bit pricey but a deal came up for certmaster access and the exam attempt for 40%ish off I think. Passed successfully anyway. Q&a is my preferred method of study but it may not be for everyone possibly. For example I’m using isc2 official training videos at the moment and hate them, they’ve been such a waste of money, just going to read the official book instead and there is a q and a book with that.
    Hi folks,

Has anyone done either the Isaca CSX (foundation or fundamentals) or Comptia security+ courses? I've been working in cyber security for about 4 years now in sales/AM roles and have a pretty decent understanding of the different technologies and solutions out there as well as a pretty broad understanding of the most common compliance frameworks.

Looking to add a professional cert to the CV and would appreciate feedback from anyone who's had experience of either.

Hi folks,

Do you want to stay in sales or move to a technical role?

While people may have different opinions on both qualifications, if looking to move jobs, I would be looking at what cert appears most in job postings, and from a technical standpoint I would lean towards security+ over csx at least based on the last time I looked at them.

Thanks for the responses and apologies for the slow reply. Looking to stay in sales I'd say. Generally there is no requirement to have done either course I'm just looking for something that reinforces the knowledge I have.

Thanks for the responses and apologies for the slow reply. Looking to stay in sales I'd say. Generally there is no requirement to have done either course I'm just looking for something that reinforces the knowledge I have.

Grand I would still lean towards the security+, but take a look at the costs in relation to training materials and the exam itself and see if doing the csx is more affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Fantomas9mm

Hey folks.

I work in IT (not Cyber Security) but am looking at upskilling !

Security + seems like a good start ????

Does anybody know if I can claim the cost back as a tax expense or should i ask my employer about paying for it ?

Also, just so I am under no illusions , getting this cert alone is unlikely to land me a job in Cyber Security ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Sec plus is a good start, but if you are depending on it to get you a job, you'll just get a gig as a SOC analyst. Even those gigs are looking for stupid certs these days (I saw one recently looking for a CISSP or CISM).

If you have any experience with Python or scripting, be sure to mention it on a CV.
    These days there isn't one "golden cert" that opens doors.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Some of these courses including the exam are currently free on ecollege.ie due to the pandemic

horgan_p wrote: »
    Sec plus is a good start, but if you are depending on it to get you a job, you'll just get a gig as a SOC analyst. Even those gigs are looking for stupid certs these days (I saw one recently looking for a CISSP or CISM).

If you have any experience with Python or scripting, be sure to mention it on a CV.

Thanks for that .

Do you know what ball park salary a entry level SOC analyst is looking at ?

horgan_p wrote: »

Thanks for that .

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Thanks for that .

I know a soc analyst who is getting 35k.
    He logs tickets from seim reports.
    Doesn't really "solve" or close tickets, just sends them to an escalation team.

It's ok for what it is I guess, but it would drive me crazy.

Forgot to mention that I'm in cork so YMMV

• Advertisement
Advertisement