Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

new laptop issues

• 28-06-2020 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me - am I being fobbed off?

I have a relatively new laptop (Oct 2019) HP Pavilion AMD Ryzen 5.

It was a display model I bought as it was the last one and I was happy to get a discount.

The first issue I had was initially a simple one to solve - the retailers login details were still on the laptop meaning all the folders had the retailers path name and not mine.

That was fixed by doing a factory reset.

Next issue I noticed which is ongoing is the Radeon software updates will not install saying "windows cannot find Bin64/InstallManagerAPP.exe". All very strange.

The bigger main issue is that the laptop powers off itself and I get an error code (blue screen) STOP CODE; KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE.

Does anyone know if this will be solved by taking it back to the retailers who are offering to completely replace the OS installation on the laptop?

Or do I need to get anything else checked?

Thanks for reading this far!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

mumof2 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me - am I being fobbed off?

I have a relatively new laptop (Oct 2019) HP Pavilion AMD Ryzen 5.

It was a display model I bought as it was the last one and I was happy to get a discount.

The first issue I had was initially a simple one to solve - the retailers login details were still on the laptop meaning all the folders had the retailers path name and not mine.

That was fixed by doing a factory reset.

Next issue I noticed which is ongoing is the Radeon software updates will not install saying "windows cannot find Bin64/InstallManagerAPP.exe". All very strange.

The bigger main issue is that the laptop powers off itself and I get an error code (blue screen) STOP CODE; KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE.

Does anyone know if this will be solved by taking it back to the retailers who are offering to completely replace the OS installation on the laptop?

Or do I need to get anything else checked?

Thanks for reading this far!
    STOP CODE; KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE might be indicating driver issue and once you mention "Radeon software updates will not install " seams related.
    in start menu search "RUN" and type in, hit Enter after:
    perfmon /rel
    this command will/should show you all/latest crashes and tech detail about cause

Get Windows all up to date, try uninstall/re-install Radeon.

Clean install would ensure you are on latest Win10 version and most likely resolve corrupt driver issues. With "display unit" i would do it from day one anyway.

notes:
    1. backup your data before clean install
    2. you will loose installed applications - re-install/re-activate will be needed
    3. only install from legit sources - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

STOP CODE; KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE might be indicating driver issue and once you mention "Radeon software updates will not install " seams related.
    in start menu search "RUN" and type in, hit Enter after:
    perfmon /rel
    this command will/should show you all/latest crashes and tech detail about cause

Get Windows all up to date, try uninstall/re-install Radeon.

Clean install would ensure you are on latest Win10 version and most likely resolve corrupt driver issues. With "display unit" i would do it from day one anyway.

notes:
    1. backup your data before clean install
    2. you will loose installed applications - re-install/re-activate will be needed
    3. only install from legit sources - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Thank you for the reply. Drivers were indeed mentioned by the guy in the shop. I've everything backed up as a norm.
    I don't have much installed as it's new yet, I purchased Microsoft office but it can be reinstalled once I sign in presumably - I'll figure that out later.
    Fingers crossed now!
    Cheers!ðŸ™

Advertisement