Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Noise Blocking Solutions?

• 24-06-2020 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Street noise, not sleeping and it's driving me mad.

I've tried:
    - heavy dark curtains
    - wax ear plugs (keep falling out)

Can anyone recommend good ear plugs or a sleep mask?

I've also never tried white noise, is there a type that works best for you?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Have a look on ebay and amazon for ear plugs. There are some on a band that should help them stay in. Else ask at any pharmacy?

Is there nowhere else you can sleep? ie another room even if it is not a bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

NB I am now using wax ear plugs and they never fall out. Warm and mould them in your fingers first and then they will fit perfectly and block noise. I just slept through the storm .

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

You will eventually get used to the noise and you will eventually sleep normally too.

Try not to become too concerned about it. Your brain will process the noise and you will not hear it at all.

Don't concern yourself about not sleeping. Your body will will balance itself out in the end as regards sleep.

You will always get as much sleep as you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭con747

After nearly a year I would hope you got some sleep OP.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Una1981 wrote: »
    Street noise, not sleeping and it's driving me mad.

I've tried:
    - heavy dark curtains
    - wax ear plugs (keep falling out)

Can anyone recommend good ear plugs or a sleep mask?

I've also never tried white noise, is there a type that works best for you?

Thanks

Perhaps your own TV noise would work better. Putting favorite per-recorded show on with sleep timer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 metfan110

hi i have just read your thread and am experiencing simliar problem with my neighbour banging doors late at night
    i had been experiencing noise from other neighbours i use white noise now its great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

markmoto wrote: »
    Perhaps your own TV noise would work better. Putting favorite per-recorded show on with sleep timer.

Yes, familiar music on a continuous loop works well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dorisroe

Best will be sleep in any other room, I see it makes you stressed. I do yoga which makes me more focused. You can try.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭creeper1

Is there any particular type of white noise that works? E.g. fan noise Vs rain dropping noise?

Doesn't it take a while to get used to?

I've an ahole neighbour talking early on his phone. It's not always loud but because the place is so quiet at that time it's as noticeable as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Bought one of these babies for... a newborn baby haha, it was on in our room when she was with us, and I genuinely miss it since she's moved into her own room. Blackout blinds and white noise machine is the way to go. It probably took some getting used to initially, but even now if I get to sleep in a few hours on the weekend I go to the spare room and put on the white noise machine to drown out the other noises in the house. Really helps.

Dohm Classic White Noise Machine. It's just a whirr/drone really, maybe static-ish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement