Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Puroresu (Japanese Wrestling) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Potentially getting only my second ever iPPV if I can get my brother to come in for half of the Tokyo Dome show. I haven't looked forward to a main event more in a long, long while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

What time does it start here and if its 34.99 in dollars is that only 27 euro.

BohsJohnny wrote: »
    What time does it start here and if its 34.99 in dollars is that only 27 euro.

8am and more or less.

img-card-1.jpg
    img-card-2.jpg
    img-card-3.jpg
    img-card-4.jpg
    img-card-5.jpg
    img-card-6.jpg
    img-card-7.jpg
    img-card-8.jpg
    img-card-9.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Quality card top to bottom

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

That will be the least 'worked' Bob Sapp match to take place in Japan for some time*

*i'm assuming he's not a NJPW regular with that joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I don't think either of the special tags will be up to much. All the important matches should deliver though and that's what matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Will there be free streams?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

So so sad that I can't watch this due to work.

Devitt's match is heading to the ring now.

Wrestle Kingdom is giving Wrestlemania a run for WWE's money with the elaborate entrances. Low Ki dressed as Agent 47, Prince Devitt doing Rey's entrance, Lance Archer coming to the ring on a motorbike etc.

• Advertisement

A_x52ulCAAAfXnD.jpg

tumblr_mg3i4hwAFp1roi15ao4_250.gif

Mazing

Followed the results of this show via Twitter every fan I know whose opinion I value said this was better than the first New Japan's first iPPV (2012's Show of the Year in a lot of polls.) Definitely buying this show when I get home now. January's household budget be damned!

rovert wrote: »
    Followed the results of this show via Twitter every fan I know whose opinion I value said this was better than the first New Japan's first iPPV (2012's Show of the Year in a lot of polls.) Definitely buying this show when I get home now. January's household budget be damned!
    Any immediate reaction to the main event?

Five legitimate ****+ matches from Wrestle Kingdom apparently
    Any immediate reaction to the main event?

The result or the match rating? It is the weakest of their three matches so far but still ****+ . The result
    not much outrage as the show/match was so good.

rovert wrote: »
    Five legitimate ****+ matches from Wrestle Kingdom apparently

The result or the match rating? It is the weakest of their three matches so far but still ****+ . The result
    not much outrage as the show/match was so good.
    Cheers was more interested in the match quality.

Hope Fergal had a good outing too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Cheers was more interested in the match quality.

from what he said above I dont think he's actually seen it yet, might see if I can find this to watch when i get the chance, dont really give the Japanese wrestling as much of a chance as I know I should

The three way was met to be particularly outstanding actually.

Hyperbole is super over utilised by Wrestling fans (myself included) but this show seems to be the real deal.
    from what he said above I dont think he's actually seen it yet, might see if I can find this to watch when i get the chance, dont really give the Japanese wrestling as much of a chance as I know I should

Would be shocked if it didn't appear in the usual places by tomorrow morning for download. The shows find there way to Youtube shortly after and rarely get taken down.

I make the effort to pay for New Japan as it is the best promotion in the world employing my favourites proper money and the stream quality is really excellent.

Do make the effort to watch however you want to do it, BH.

Yeah Id happily support New Japan by buying their shows.

The three way was always gonna be top class given those involved. dying to see it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

That is a quality looking card. I would imagine Benjamin Vs Tanaka was a bump fest. Ki V Devitt V Ibushi looks like it would have been class as well. Must try find a copy of this.

Main event is up:

• Advertisement

will the whole thing get put up on youtube do you reckon?

GRMA wrote: »

It will. The good thing is they usually stay up too. The bastard is avoiding results until you see it. Got the main event spoiled on me but I dont know anything else yet.

GRMA wrote: »

It is up on download and torrent sites now. I would expect it to be uploaded to Youtube by tonight most likely.

Meltzer called the Tokyo Dome show better than the best Wrestlemanias and up there with All Japan Women Tokyo Dome shows. Those All Japan Women shows from 90s are his personal absolute gold standard.

Personally settling down finally watch it finally. Way to tired last night to watch all 4 1/2 hours

*BOOM*

This version has the pre-PPV dark matches I would advise non-hardcores to skip them and go to the 30 minute mark for the show open.

Well thats any study plans I had out the window

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Archer looks huge, himself and Jr must be eating lots of Sushi.

Is Tanahashi like a Japanese Cena (except mobile and no question about wrestling ability)? Would Okada be like a CM Punk? Just trying to get some background as I haven't a clue what the Japanese lads are saying :pac:

Watching the pre-show now and being able to leave someone as popular as Liger on it shows just how stacked New Japan is these days. He is still super popular even though he's a shadow of himself in the ring. Not even going to mention the other match, they were that bad. Lucky to even be on the pre-show!
    DM-ICE wrote: »
    Archer looks huge, himself and Jr must be eating lots of Sushi.

Is Tanahashi like a Japanese Cena (except mobile and no question about wrestling ability)? Would Okada be like a CM Punk? Just trying to get some background as I haven't a clue what the Japanese lads are saying :pac:

Tanahashi would be Cena alright. He's the ace.

Not sure who to compare Okada to. He's not the top guy but he will be. He's like the next Cena, which WWE dont have so no-one to compare him to. Ziggler wouldnt be a bad comparison, but Okada is higher and better than him.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Watching the pre-show now and being able to leave someone as popular as Liger on it shows just how stacked New Japan is these days. He is still super popular even though he's a shadow of himself in the ring.

I think Liger is still the booker of the Junior Heavyweights so he shows humility in booking himself low on cards. Jado & Gedo the main bookers do the same too wrestling wise.

DM-ICE wrote: »

Essentially yes. Tanahashi is fair less divisive than Cena as he is the dude that helped New Japan move away from a REALLY ****ty era ten years ago. Where as Cena is sometimes directly and indirectly on screen acknowledged as WWE's post peak era guy that doesn't really compare to Rock, Austin etc.

In 2011 you could hear a smattering of booing from some crowds as they were kind of getting bored of Tanahashi's long title run as great as it was. Dropping the title last year to Okada stopped the potential backlash. Okada has a manager that does most of the talking and he isn't all that charismatic but he has made strides. He is as cocky as CM Punk yes. But that is where the comparison ends. His nickname is The Rainmaker as he is all about the money and does the rapper thing of making it rain.

A_wyzLtCIAEKxVZ.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Speaking of that shi*ty era when Lesnar was champ did he refuse to drop the belt to anyone or was he just not arsed?

• Advertisement

Okada has the best dropkick I have ever seen, DM-ICE keep an eye open for that.
    GTR63 wrote: »
    Speaking of that shi*ty era when Lesnar was champ did he refuse to drop the belt to anyone or was he just not arsed?

He for sure refused to drop the title to Tanahashi but I vaguely remember that New Japan wanted to pay him less as Lesnar wasn't drawing/New Japan couldn't pay the original agreed fee per match.

Advertisement