Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Death was right....

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Deciding to believe a pre-set mentlaity in the face of scientific eveidence - ah, creationaism!
    It's nonscience! It's a causal relationship. Cats interact with humans as they know that's how to get food. And of course the more food they receive the more interaction there will be. Common sense. A cat's primary preference is and always will be food. They only needed to use milk and ham instead of chicken and tuna to realise that!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I like cats. They're impressive. Pound for pound one of the best predators on the planet.
    Not so much in reality. They're pretty good, but unlike dogs and humans they won't go for prey bigger than they are. Show a hungry terrier an elephant and he'll look at you and think; "There's some eatin on that bugger, so I'm game if you are monkey boy", whereas a cat will think; "ehh... are you insane monkey boy". I'm not sure who is working the superior angle there. :D

As for affection? I've known cats who were extremely affectionate and extremely protective towards the humans in their lives. Like "you wanna piss them off, you have to go through me *hiss, spit, bite*. And I've known dogs who were "meh, if you feed me we're good". Depends entirely on the cat or dog IMH. Further, IMHO it's more down to the human projection about the dog/cat that is telling.

They have retractable claws!
    Cheetahs don't oddly enough.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

It's nonscience! It's a causal relationship. Cats interact with humans as they know that's how to get food. And of course the more food they receive the more interaction there will be. Common sense. A cat's primary preference is and always will be food. They only needed to use milk and ham instead of chicken and tuna to realise that!

My cat won't take food off me...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,980 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The same could be said of men interacting with women for sex, but sometimes men still love the women...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Wibbs wrote: »
    Not so much in reality. They're pretty good, but unlike dogs and humans they won't go for prey bigger than they are. Show a hungry terrier an elephant and he'll look at you and think; "There's some eatin on that bugger, so I'm game if you are monkey boy", whereas a cat will think; "ehh... are you insane monkey boy". I'm not sure who is working the superior angle there.

Thats not really making a claim for the dog here. From a cats point of view that's just stupid. Courageous and spirited but stupid all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Cats take no sh!t, even if it will cost them their life some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

What you get from cats depends on what you give them.. I am with mine 24/7 from their kittenhood and they are devoted and giving. No aloofness etc. No manipulation as they do not need to be like that.

They are as affectionate as dogs and a lot calmer and more soothing to be with. ]

How you treat them will create how they treat you..

osarusan wrote: »
    Cats take no sh!t, even if it will cost them their life some day.

There is also a video somewhere of a cat defending its young master against a dog..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Load of bollox tbh. I've had cats all my life and they love attention without food and playing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Your Face wrote: »
    Yeah but Donald Trump.

I'm so, so lucky in relation to other people with that Trump thing. Because I'm pretty sure I'll never actually meet him.

Which is fantastic. Really, really great.

Anyway - back to cats. They are supuuurrrrb.

The older they get the clingier they become. They fixate completely on their owners. It is true they are backstards but if you can see the funny side of it, then you truly are a cat person.

I have a dog too though. Never see it as either/or.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,980 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

topper75 wrote: »
    I'm so, so lucky in relation to other people with that Trump thing. Because I'm pretty sure I'll never actually meet him.

Which is fantastic. Really, really great.

Anyway - back to cats. They are supuuurrrrb.

The older they get the clingier they become. They fixate completely on their owners. It is true they are backstards but if you can see the funny side of it, then you truly are a cat person.

I have a dog too though. Never see it as either/or.
    Don't get me wrong - I like dogs - ut dogs are like yor friend's kid who's got Downe's Syndrome. Lovely, sweet, little kid but would you give him the keys to drive home...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I'm more of a dog person but recently I was seduced by a cat who'd lost his owner. He lavished love and attention on me until I made him permanent, now he doesn't just ignore me, he actively despises me and doesn't even try to hide it.

All he cares about is food and sleep and his cold, black, spite. Everything he does is motivated by some kind of inner malicious spirit, and I'm pretty sure he isn't even going to wait until I die to start eating me. His name is Marvin, but he's only been called by his nickname (Assh*le) since the honeymoon is over. Other than the satanic possession issue, he's pretty cool.

Candie wrote: »
    I'm more of a dog person but recently I was seduced by a cat who'd lost his owner. He lavished love and attention on me until I made him permanent, now he doesn't just ignore me, he actively despises me and doesn't even try to hide it.

All he cares about is food and sleep and his cold, black, spite. Everything he does is motivated by some kind of inner malicious spirit, and I'm pretty sure he isn't even going to wait until I die to start eating me. His name is Marvin, but he's only been called by his nickname (Assh*le) since the honeymoon is over. Other than the satanic possession issue, he's pretty cool.

Old lady who died and was not found for days. and by then the cats had eaten her feet.... as the social worker said, she would not have minded...

But my cats love me totally. No spite; I am one of them. totally and fully

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Although there was clear individual variability in cat preference, social interaction with humans was the most-preferred stimulus category for the majority of cats, followed by food
    So you're saying that humans are good for cats, not that cats are good for humans.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Thats not really making a claim for the dog here. From a cats point of view that's just stupid. Courageous and spirited but stupid all the same.
    Maybe, but that's why every single civilisation worthy of the name had dogs and humans have had dogs around for tens of thousands of years. We quite literally wouldn't be human without them. Cats are much more of an afterthought in the the story. They did find favour in keeping rodents away from grain in farming civilisations, though even there dogs make better ratters. Though because of that "afterthought" in the modern western world cats fit in far better around many people's hectic schedules.
    Candie wrote: »
    Had similar last year. Cat showed up all whiny and plaintive. Gave it a bit of food and seemed to be fine and friendly, then after a while went a bit odd and twitchy. Hissed at me one day and then thought it would have a bit of a strop claws out time. In my gaff? Eh no. Shown the door and told to go away and to its credit it did.
    Don't get me wrong - I like dogs - ut dogs are like yor friend's kid who's got Downe's Syndrome. Lovely, sweet, little kid but would you give him the keys to drive home...?
    Yeah.

:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement