Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Small sober hen party in Dublin

• 31-01-2020 3:36pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for inspiration about a low key hen party in Dublin if anyone has ideas! It would be a pretty small group, about 8-12 people. I definitely want to keep it in Dublin to keep the expense and hassle down for everyone (we live there). And definitely just a one day thing! It would be nice to do something in the afternoon and evening though. 100euro max per person (but the cheaper the better!).

I'm thinking dinner and karaoke for the evening. I don't drink and hate clubbing, so karaoke is a good late evening activity for me! I'd also like to do something mid-late afternoon too though... any thoughts? I like the idea of afternoon tea, but I think afternoon tea AND dinner would probably be too much food for everyone!

Any thoughts, for the afternoon in particular? I'm not into paint-balling, dance classes, Mr&Mrs games or any of the other typical hen activities :/ I just want a fun chilled out day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭eusap

the afternoon tea bus and cocktails in the virgin mary pub (alcohol free)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

But if we want to do dinner in the evening, isn't that too much food doing afternoon tea as well? I don't want to be killing loads of time in between the two just so people can work up their appetite again :/ I don't mind hanging out in a bar for a couple of hours, but I don't think anyone would be hungry for dinner a couple of hours after afternoon tea!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

What about an escape room? There are quite a few around Dublin these days. Or GoQuest, in Sandyford or Finglas, is good fun, and you can make it as active as you like.
    There is a silent disco walking tour through Dublin which is a bit different: https://silentadventures.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 31,826 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

eusap wrote: »
    the afternoon tea bus and cocktails in the virgin mary pub (alcohol free)
    Might be a bit of a squeeze in Virgin Mary it's pretty small.

Ukiyo rent out karaoke rooms in basement I have only been once but it is good fun, they will also take drinks orders etc.

Thanks a mill guys!

Yeah the escape rooms could be an option alright. I've done them before, but it's been a while!

The silent disco thing sounds interesting, but wouldn't want to depend on the weather :/ And I reckon some people would just be too self conscious to enjoy themselves unfortunately.

Yeah Ukiyo is my usual go to place for karaoke! There's a new place on Dawson street too (Maneki), so might look into that as it's somewhere different.

I see that the wax museum does a murder mystery thing in the evenings... sounds interesting, but earliest time is 6pm, so still leave the afternoon open (and don't want too many activities!). I suppose meeting for drinks for a couple of hours is always an option in the afternoon. But you know yourself, if there's no set activity, people will just arrive in dribs and drabs at random times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Why not just do the dinner and evening thing then? I’ve been at quite a few hens in Dublin that were just that (including my own) and I think you’re more likely to get everyone going to everything. If you have a few activities, people might come for one and not stay on, or not come to the early thing and meet you later. Just since there’s nothing specific you want to do in the afternoon, why add the stress?

It would just be nice to make a day of it, that's all. Given that other people have full blow weekends away, I don't think it's too much to ask :P Otherwise it just feels like any other random meet up. We often do dinner and have done karaoke before too. I don't want to make a huge deal of it, but still want it to be memorable.

I'll obviously try to keep the cost down as much as possible, it would just be nice to meet up earlier in the day instead of just an evening thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

That’s totally fair enough: I wouldn’t say it’s excessive at all, especially by other people’s standards, but not the end of the world if you don’t have something particular that’s all.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

What about a boat trip from Dun Laoighaire/Sir John Rogerson's Quay/Howth, and then take the Dart back into town?Something different that people may not normally do, and it has some lovely views. Or do the Viking Splash Tour!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Spa day and dinner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MiliMe

Could juat go to hairdressers n get a bit spoiled. Some places do cocktails / mocktails with a wash and blowdry. Then go into dinner ect...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I believe the Bord Gáis Theatre does some kind of upgraded package for their shows. Not sure of the details, but might be worth a look.

Obviously this means sitting watching a show for a couple of hours but you could head for something to eat afterwards if you went to an afternoon performance.

Might not suit at all, as a hen party activity but just thought I would throw it into the mix. :)

Thanks a million for all the suggestions :)

Something like a spa day would be along the right lines alright, but it's just too expensive. I was at a hen recently where we all got our nails done, which would be much more affordable, but I don't want it to seem like I'm just copying her... she did karaoke too :P I wouldn't really be into hair dressing tbh, especially if it turns out to be a windy/rainy day it's a bit of a waste!

A show is a good idea. Bord gais is expensive, but I know there are plenty of more affordable theatres. The date is just a bit far out to know what will be on and plan ahead though and I wouldn't just want to see a random show just for the sake of it either.
    Or do the Viking Splash Tour!

Would totally be on for this, except I've already done it.... twice :pac:

If there are any more suggestions, keep them coming :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

I’m not full of suggestions - but I think you might be limiting suggestions from others, your thread title reads like the hen outing has to be entirely alcohol free. Is that what you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Go Quest is fun. Then luas into town for food

qwerty13 wrote: »
    I’m not full of suggestions - but I think you might be limiting suggestions from others, your thread title reads like the hen outing has to be entirely alcohol free. Is that what you mean?

Sorry, I don't mean that it has to be totally alcohol free. I probably won't drink (or won't drink much) myself, but have no problem if others do. I just don't want it to be a piss up basically!

And I'm sorry if it seems like I'm limiting suggestions from others. Some of it is purely down to location (want to keep to the city centre for the convenience of everyone attending) or cost.

I think the escape rooms is the front runner atm!

I also like the idea of doing something crafty or a cooking class or something like that. I looked into doing baking classes at the cake cafe, but it's just too expensive unfortunately. Does anyone know of any classes (any sort of craft or baking) that are held in Dublin City Centre for a cheap enough price?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Maybe something in Cook's Academy on South William Street? I know they do lessons but I don't know much more about them.

Acapulco on Lord Edward St used to do lessons too, I did them once through a Meet Up group, you learn how to make tacos and guacamole etc. from scratch.

Pinocchio in Temple Bar also do some cooking lessons: http://www.flavourofitaly.net/12-cookery-courses

Edit: just realised you were asking for baking not cooking but they might have something you'd be interested in.

Great, thanks miamee, I'll definitely look into those :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭buffin

What about hiring a private cinema room and putting on a fun wedding film. There's a hotel I rented one from before, I can't think of the name of it but it's beside Saba restaurant not far from Grafton street. You book by the hour and it's not crazy expensive. You could use it for party games etc too.

Editing to say sorry just saw you’re not into games and that but it’s still a nice space to get to hang out in. When I did it they pretty much left the room to us and we put on a dvd. You could easily put on a load of old photos of your friends on there too for before/after!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

That would be Brooks Hotel buffin, they have a private cinema room. There is also a pricate cinema at Denzille Lane just up from the Alexander Hotel that you can hire out, no idea of the cost though. A friend rented it out one year for his girlfriend's birthday for a showing of one of her favourite films with a load of friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Some ideas although I don't know about cost.

Millinery or jewelry making class.

or

Wildcard option, Jumpzone for trampolining - quite inexpensive and they've 3 locations. Its great fun!

https://jumpzone.ie/sandyford/partiesevents/teen-adult-parties/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Also, flower arranging is surprisingly enjoyable.
    https://shop.thegarden.ie/products/easter-wreath-making-workshop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Perhaps paintclub might be an option?
    Www.paintclub.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

woodchuck wrote: »
    Sorry, I don't mean that it has to be totally alcohol free. I probably won't drink (or won't drink much) myself, but have no problem if others do. I just don't want it to be a piss up basically!

And I'm sorry if it seems like I'm limiting suggestions from others. Some of it is purely down to location (want to keep to the city centre for the convenience of everyone attending) or cost.

I think the escape rooms is the front runner atm!

I also like the idea of doing something crafty or a cooking class or something like that. I looked into doing baking classes at the cake cafe, but it's just too expensive unfortunately. Does anyone know of any classes (any sort of craft or baking) that are held in Dublin City Centre for a cheap enough price?

Ah ok. I thought it read like you don’t drink, and no one else is welcome to drink either on the hen. Maybe consider amending your thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Just remembered a day time treasure hunt during a hen weekend once. Was great fun and a great way to get taking with participants I didn’t know before.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭twignme

A real wildcard ....... how about a climbing wall? There are some really good places in Dublin that cater to everyone of every level of fitness and ability with great instructors. And a great way to build up an appetite for the evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

When Poppy met Daisy run Hen sewing parties, where you make hats, garters and that sort of thing. They are based in Dublin.

http://www.whenpoppymetdaisy.com/sewing-and-fashion-parties.html

Thanks again for all the suggestions guys :) A lot of food for thought there. I'll start doing a little more research into prices etc and discuss with my bridesmaid!

Advertisement