Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Labour Defence Manifesto

• 28-01-2020 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Defence, Page 21, interesting to say the very least, nobody else has mentioned anything like this..

https://www.labour.ie/download/pdf//labour_manifesto_web.pdf

Labour will develop a strategy to expand the Naval Service so that it can fully patrol all our waters, for the regulation of fishing, to protect marine reserves, to improve our sub-surface detection/search capacity and to defeat drug smuggling operations

Labour will evaluate the role of the Air Corps in protecting Irish airspace in light of Brexit by commissioning a feasibility study, with recommendations on Air Intercept/Defence Capability and a review of the agreement currently in place with the RAF. This study will include an estimate of the likely cost of such capabilities.

Labour will establish a dedicated Cybersecurity Unit within the Defence Forces that will develop technological capabilities for Cyber Defence of all operational systems and defence capabilities of the support systems (manpower, logistics) and create the necessary conditions to attract and retain people with exceptional ICT Skills.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Townton

The agreement with the RAF works quite well I think. unless they actually manage to bridge that gap by attaining a realistic and workable intercept capability then I think the RAF agreement should be kept in place. First class protection for next to nothing in cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Better to have our own force in place.
    Imo. Should not be depending on former colonial power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Why? Iceland gets on just fine with NATO air policing, the same goes for Estonia, now that I think of it, has an RAF Typhoon even entered Irish airspace on a training flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭sparky42

Psychlops wrote: »
    Why? Iceland gets on just fine with NATO air policing, the same goes for Estonia, now that I think of it, has an RAF Typhoon even entered Irish airspace on a training flight?

The difference of course is those nations are actually NATO members, the Command and Control for such air policing is far more extensive than the "agreement" we have, also those nations actually have said NATO units in their nations not "on call".

Psychlops wrote: »
    Defence, Page 21, interesting to say the very least, nobody else has mentioned anything like this..

https://www.labour.ie/download/pdf//labour_manifesto_web.pdf

Labour will develop a strategy to expand the Naval Service so that it can fully patrol all our waters, for the regulation of fishing, to protect marine reserves, to improve our sub-surface detection/search capacity and to defeat drug smuggling operations

Labour will evaluate the role of the Air Corps in protecting Irish airspace in light of Brexit by commissioning a feasibility study, with recommendations on Air Intercept/Defence Capability and a review of the agreement currently in place with the RAF. This study will include an estimate of the likely cost of such capabilities.

Labour will establish a dedicated Cybersecurity Unit within the Defence Forces that will develop technological capabilities for Cyber Defence of all operational systems and defence capabilities of the support systems (manpower, logistics) and create the necessary conditions to attract and retain people with exceptional ICT Skills.

It's interesting apart from the fact that it will never see any action, even if Labour get enough seats to be in a coalition, this wouldn't be accepted by the other parties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

sparky42 wrote: »
    It's interesting apart from the fact that it will never see any action, even if Labour get enough seats to be in a coalition, this wouldn't be accepted by the other parties.

Well, the feasibility studies and reviews will get the thumbs up, all that takes is a few suits and beancounters with no expertise in the area.

ectoraige wrote: »
    Well, the feasibility studies and reviews will get the thumbs up, all that takes is a few suits and beancounters with no expertise in the area.
    Wouldn't hold my breath even on that, this is defence and who knows what shape the next government will be, the DOD would most likely just give a one line "Nope" reply and leave it at that.

This isn't the United States.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Townton wrote: »
    The agreement with the RAF works quite well I think. unless they actually manage to bridge that gap by attaining a realistic and workable intercept capability then I think the RAF agreement should be kept in place. First class protection for next to nothing in cost.

Protection from who?

The British are our only enemy.

Protection from who?

The British are our only enemy.

That's nice, so what's your solution with dealing with a million Unionists if there's ever unification if that's your view?

• Advertisement

This isn't the United States.

And? So? What's the point you are trying to make?

That's nice, so what's your solution with dealing with a million Unionists if there's ever unification if that's your view?

Drones.

Drones.
    Idiot.

Idiot.

Sparky if we give all unionists drones they will have an enjoyable hobby that will leave no time for twrroriam!

I see the Mexican government is flogging off the presidential plane for $130m. Looks like a handy piece of kit for a replacement for the government jet and capable of carrying 80 troops to overseas postings as well. Looks like a good deal to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I see the Mexican government is flogging off the presidential plane for $130m. Looks like a handy piece of kit for a replacement for the government jet and capable of carrying 80 troops to overseas postings as well. Looks like a good deal to me!

You think every bit of a fire sale is a good deal. I hope you're not a stockbroker.

The Mexican govt are trying to flog what is a pretty tidy Dreamliner to the US or Canada in exchange for medical supplies. If that's what they are reduced to, I can't see anyone having faith in the maintenance record of that plane.

There is definitely an argument for a single multi-purpose modular passenger jet that can be configured for VIP transport, troop transport, citizen airlift, medevac, or freight like the RNZAF 757s, but it should be procured locally in Europe, maybe even dry leased.

Glad you agree that tha multi function configuration of this plane makes for a very versatile workhorse. I'm sure it must be in pretty good nick seeing that it was used by "el presidente".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Glad you agree that tha multi function configuration of this plane makes for a very versatile workhorse. I'm sure it must be in pretty good nick seeing that it was used by "el presidente".

Exactly what he didn't say.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/giea/governmentincomeandexpenditurejuly2019/
    Irelands 2018 revenue was €82,000,000,000

https://www.defensenews.com/global/mideast-africa/2018/03/30/boeing-and-kuwait-cement-super-hornet-deal/
    Kuwait are buying 22 F-18's. The cost of the contract is $1.2bn, or about €1.09bn

You'd need to train the engineers.
    You'd need to train the pilots.
    You'd need to pay for the above to happen.
    You'd then need to pay the above so they don't leave to goto the UK.

Currently, people are leaving Irish navy and Irish military to work in Tescos, as it pays better. So how about we improve what we have before spending money on stuff we don't need?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Lord Fairlord

the_syco wrote: »
    https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/giea/governmentincomeandexpenditurejuly2019/
    Irelands 2018 revenue was €82,000,000,000

https://www.defensenews.com/global/mideast-africa/2018/03/30/boeing-and-kuwait-cement-super-hornet-deal/
    Kuwait are buying 22 F-18's. The cost of the contract is $1.2bn, or about €1.09bn

You'd need to train the engineers.
    You'd need to train the pilots.
    You'd need to pay for the above to happen.
    You'd then need to pay the above so they don't leave to goto the UK.

Currently, people are leaving Irish navy and Irish military to work in Tescos, as it pays better. So how about we improve what we have before spending money on stuff we don't need?

I think that being able to deal with, for example, a hijacked airliner, is a capability that we ought have as a sovereign state. I do agree that pay should be better; the two aren't mutually exclusive.

• Advertisement

Hear hear lord f

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I think that being able to deal with, for example, a hijacked airliner, is a capability that we ought have as a sovereign state. I do agree that pay should be better; the two aren't mutually exclusive.
    We don't have the money to pay the existing soldiers, so you want to buy aircraft?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Let's backtrack a bit here, before talking about purchases. Is there anything in the manifesto which addresses how the goals are to be achieved and how that will be funded?

Let's backtrack a bit here, before talking about purchases. Is there anything in the manifesto which addresses how the goals are to be achieved and how that will be funded?

Nope. But honestly that's pretty much the same for all the Manifesto's across the board. Plenty of "wishful thinking" in the costings/fundings.

Its a question of increasing the budget allocating to the DF to a more realistic level. Around 2% GDP would probably hit the right spot and pay decent wages and enable develop a credible Air Corps and complete the naval fleet renewal with 2 smaller inshore patrol vessels and a new flagship.

Its a question of increasing the budget allocating to the DF to a more realistic level. Around 2% GDP would probably hit the right spot and pay decent wages and enable develop a credible Air Corps and complete the naval fleet renewal with 2 smaller inshore patrol vessels and a new flagship.

The DF couldn't spend 2% currently, that would be beyond a reasonable increase.

Might be able to nobble some funds from the EU post brexit. I'd like to see one of the P60's out on the Persian Gulf supporting the French / Dutch / German deployment meself.

Might be able to nobble some funds from the EU post brexit. I'd like to see one of the P60's out on the Persian Gulf supporting the French / Dutch / German deployment meself.

Ah, no, just no.

Didn't realize u were minister if defence. Can't see why DF could not countenance keeping trade routes of strategic interest to the nation open and would also be very good training for increased responsibilities post brexit closer to home. Would not break the bank either. Quite a lot of Irelands Oil passes through these waters by the way. No need to be eternally patronizing every time I post something which is beyond your rather provincial ambitions.

• Advertisement

Didn't realize u were minister if defence. Can't see why DF could not countenance keeping trade routes of strategic interest to the nation open and would also be very good training for increased responsibilities post brexit closer to home. Would not break the bank either. Quite a lot of Irelands Oil passes through these waters by the way. No need to be eternally patronizing every time I post something which is beyond your rather provincial ambitions.

They are OPV's (and cheap for OPVs), NOT FRIGATES or even CORVETTES. They lack sonar, air search radar, any sam defence, can't Replenish underway to name just some issues and none of that can be cheaply or easily rectified. Sending them into something like the Gulf is a pointless waste of resources and would require protection from other nations without bringing anything of value to such operations.

There are plenty of areas where the NS can look for other missions, something like that is not something that should be considered. 90% of what you post doesn't make sense with what we have or likely to have, nor what we'd use the DF for.

Advertisement