Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2020 Bride/Groom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Getting married next May and so far have booked
    Church
    Hotel
    Band
    Hair
    Make
    Cake
    Appointment made to register just before christmas
    Know where we are getting the invites done

Going to start with the dress shopping the week after next. Similar to other posters here. Have had go bite my tongue with a few people strongly imposing their ideas. Also have 1 in particular who trying to change my mind over the fact I don't want a hen party.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Getting married next May and so far have booked
    Church
    Hotel
    Band
    Hair
    Make
    Cake
    Appointment made to register just before christmas
    Know where we are getting the invites done

Going to start with the dress shopping the week after next. Similar to other posters here. Have had go bite my tongue with a few people strongly imposing their ideas. Also have 1 in particular who trying to change my mind over the fact I don't want a hen party.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

One of my bridesmaids is visiting me in Canada at the moment so we went wedding dress shopping together. At one shop the girl helping us tried to do this big dramatic reveal - once I had the dress on she got us both to close our eyes, put a veil on me and got me to stand on a podium with a bouquet, turned down the lights, put a spotlight on me and cranked up My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion. It didn't help that the veil was this huge yoke with a train that also covered my face and made me think of Miss Havisham... I think it was supposed to make me emotional but was actually just really funny, I couldn't laugh because it would have been rude but I was dying on the inside :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Generally for photographer anything upwards of €1,500 would be considered to provide good quality and experience.

€5,000 is expensive for a wedding photographer but then again some of those that are in vogue at present can probably command those fees.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

5,000 for a photographer, seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

nthclare wrote: »
    5,000 for a photographer, seriously.

Yes seriously, No need for the attitude. I work hard I can spend my money as I see fit.

I can see now why people don’t share their costs with others, seems to draw out the worst in people. Wedding planning is hard enough without that thrown in also.

Teach30 wrote: »
    Yes seriously, No need for the attitude. I work hard I can spend my money as I see fit.

I can see now why people don’t share their costs with others, seems to draw out the worst in people. Wedding planning is hard enough without that thrown in also.

If it is the photographer you want and you have the money then it is nobody's business how much you're spending really. The photographs are the things that will last the longest from your wedding, it's one place I wouldn't budge in our wedding budget.

One of the things I've learned from wedding planning is there will always be someone judging your budget - some people seem to think that spending anything in excess of the €200 or whatever it costs to get a registry office wedding is too much.

As for your question about colours, I suppose it depends how much you want everything to match or if it is more of a loose colour theme? I suppose the main things you'd want to go together are the bridesmaids' dresses and the flowers, and possibly the groom's side if they're having accessories like ties that fit the colour scheme. If you want to match the invitations in you'd need to think about when you're planning to send those out and organise accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Hi Teach,

in my opinion 5k is at the very very upper end in terms of photography. A lot of people feel that once the word wedding is mentioned, suppliers add 20-30% to their fees/costs.

I'm familiar with some of the best photographers in the country and none of them are charging close to 5k. Obviously if it's what you want and you are happy to pay, then go for it. It's no-ones business what you or anoyone else pays for any supplier, all that matter is that you're happy with it.

blacklilly wrote: »
    Hi Teach,

in my opinion 5k is at the very very upper end in terms of photography. A lot of people feel that once the word wedding is mentioned, suppliers add 20-30% to their fees/costs.

I'm familiar with some of the best photographers in the country and none of them are charging close to 5k. Obviously if it's what you want and you are happy to pay, then go for it. It's no-ones business what you or anoyone else pays for any supplier, all that matter is that you're happy with it.

Exactly it’s all personal preference. I hadn’t a clue whether the photographer has an amazing name or not, we heard about them through friends, liked the style, asked were they available and booked them. Didn’t even look elsewhere tbh which suited us as we’re not fussed about spending ages choosing things.

At the end of the day I can justify the money on certain things, I won’t be spending on silly favours and ridiculous photo booths or even a wedding car but that’s our choice. Who really even notices half that stuff at weddings, I certainly don’t!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭love_love

Exactly it’s all personal preference. I hadn’t a clue whether the photographer has an amazing name or not, we heard about them through friends, liked the style, asked were they available and booked them. Didn’t even look elsewhere tbh which suited us as we’re not fussed about spending ages choosing things.

At the end of the day I can justify the money on certain things, I won’t be spending on silly favours and ridiculous photo booths or even a wedding car but that’s our choice. Who really even notices half that stuff at weddings, I certainly don’t!

You don't want anyone to judge your decisions but you're openly disparaging "silly" things that other people enjoy. I have no particular horse in the race, just make sure you're not doing the very that you are upset with others doing to you.

• Advertisement

love_love wrote: »
    You don't want anyone to judge your decisions but you're openly disparaging "silly" things that other people enjoy. I have no particular horse in the race, just make sure you're not doing the very that you are upset with others doing to you.

Everyone is entitled to spend their money as they wish, perhaps “silly” would be better replaced with frivolous. Also it’s an anonymous forum, it’s one thing to declare views on here but I’m hardly likely to tell the girl sitting beside me at work that her alibaba/wish tat wasn’t to my taste.

As for your question about colours, I suppose it depends how much you want everything to match or if it is more of a loose colour theme? I suppose the main things you'd want to go together are the bridesmaids' dresses and the flowers, and possibly the groom's side if they're having accessories like ties that fit the colour scheme. If you want to match the invitations in you'd need to think about when you're planning to send those out and organise accordingly.[/quote]

Thanks yes might not pick bridesmaid dresses until next year so I’m going to keep the invites a mix of colours that may suit. We can pick ties nearer the time also when we are buying the suits next year so I’m not going to panic about colours until early next year.

I’m so busy at work at the minute I’m just hoping to wing it and it’ll all work out!
    I keep having to remind myself when people ask me about these things that the less fuss the better, really annoys me when people can’t understand why your not into the planning and spending hours researching like they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Everyone is entitled to spend their money as they wish, perhaps “silly” would be better replaced with frivolous. Also it’s an anonymous forum, it’s one thing to declare views on here but I’m hardly likely to tell the girl sitting beside me at work that her alibaba/wish tat wasn’t to my taste.

I get what you're saying, however I just think its best to keep my opinions to myself when I see stuff that I think is junk/waste of money. There is literally no accounting for taste. To be honest, so much stuff is not to my taste that its just easier to nod and smile, otherwise I'd probably be causing offence left and right.

On the photographer, we're spending about €1800 to get what we want - a photographer with a natural/documentary style. I went on to OneFabDay, clicked on a few of real weddings that I liked the style of (non soppy/posed) and then looked at their websites to help make my decision.

I agree that photography is important - it should be our best opportunity to get lovely photos of us and our loved ones looking well :)

Who knows what that €5k includes so although I'll agree it sounds very expensive, perhaps it includes a videographer and a drone, or a lot of prints/albums after.

We didnt want any of that, so we just really want our day documented in print. I'm happy to spend on photography and think what we've gone for is fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

I saw some pics from a wedding at our chosen venue, and they had a flower arch. I didn't think I wanted one until I saw it in the pics, it really made the room into a ceremony space....rather than just a table at the top of a room.

So now I've decided I want one. Ha!
    The rental prices are way out of budget, so I'm going to make one.......as if I didn't have enough to do. LOL.

Anyone else DIYing some or all or their decor?

Our venue doesn't need much at all in fairness. I'm just adding a few personal touches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Where's the attitude you're alluding to ?

I never got married I don't know anything about weddings but I do hang out with a photographer and he's told me how easy it is nowadays with modern technology to take good photos.

625 euro an hour is good money....

All you need is a qualified photographer, good slr camera, creative eye and a laptop or Apple Mac which will run a program which is full of filters....

5,000 seems excessively expensive for maybe 60 clicks at most, 8 hour's doodling and choosing pictures and a watermark until he's paid up.....

All credit too you if you want to be able to say that you spent 5,000 Euros on the photographer...

Hope they turn out well and it's money well spent.

Enjoy your big day

nthclare wrote: »
    Where's the attitude you're alluding to ?

I never got married I don't know anything about weddings but I do hang out with a photographer and he's told me how easy it is nowadays with modern technology to take good photos.

625 euro an hour is good money....

All you need is a qualified photographer, good slr camera, creative eye and a laptop or Apple Mac which will run a program which is full of filters....

5,000 seems excessively expensive for maybe 60 clicks at most, 8 hour's doodling and choosing pictures and a watermark until he's paid up.....

All credit too you if you want to be able to say that you spent 5,000 Euros on the photographer...

Hope they turn out well and it's money well spent.

Enjoy your big day

Your tone imo wasn’t nice, I only posted to show others that there’s a variety of options available. I wouldn’t tell the ground we are paying that much tbh. This is an anonymous forum I wouldn’t have considered it to be so excessive had I not seen other comments here.

At the end of the day we are paying for name and style. I’ve since looked at other photographers and I personally dislike overly posed pictures. I’m also not comfortable in front of a camera lens and I know my family won’t be happy either with having to pose and look all loved up. That’s just not us, so in reality your paying for a lot more than a good quality camera and decent filter programme, I’m paying for a photographer that will make us feel comfortable on the day and will have the cop on to stay in the background.

Anyways I’m not paying, just booking so I’m not going to over think it.

Far more important to focus on the actually marriage ceremony and that part I’m looking forward to planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

How are the 2020 brides & grooms doing! After literally doing nothing for months and putting my head in the sand I ramped up the pace this week.
    Finally got my hairdresser locked in. Really like her, my top two choices were obviously booked so she is my third choice. Happy enough with that.
    Most importantly I bought my dress yesterday🎉. So happy it’s done and I have it home with me now.
    Next is to nail down the guest list, organise invitations, find a florist, buy the wedding rings, get the lads suited, get outfits for my kids.....and the list goes on!
    When are you all sending out your invitations? I am waiting until the first week in January. I am not fully sure though. My mom thinks I should get them out before Christmas.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I'm officially a 2020 bride \o/ A little late to the party compared to most people here :P We got engaged just over a month ago, but don't want a long engagement, so we've booked a venue for September 2020. The only other thing we have booked so far is a humanist. We did send out some Save the Dates this week though (electronically).

I've started looking into photographers, but it's all a bit overwhelming! I think we want more natural style photos (bar the mandatory group shots), but there are so many photographers that it's hard to know where to start. I'm sure a lot of the better ones could be booked up too :/

Aiming to get both a photographer and DJ pinned down before Christmas though... hopefully :P Then keeping my fingers cross that there might be some good deals on dresses in January!

woodchuck wrote: »
    I've started looking into photographers, but it's all a bit overwhelming! I think we want more natural style photos (bar the mandatory group shots), but there are so many photographers that it's hard to know where to start. I'm sure a lot of the better ones could be booked up too :/
    If you contact a photographer that you like and they're already booked for that date, you could always ask them if they have any recommendations for someone with a similar style. People who work in the wedding industry all know each other!

Thanks for the tip Scarinae :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭PinkLady2016

always good to meet the photographer beforehand. So that they get to know both of you and you get to know them. Its important to get to know what they are like. Also some charge a lot of money for just a USB stick. Where others have a package that includes a photo album as well as a USB. See what is best for you. I do think the photos of a wedding are important .

Still trudging through photographers...

Wondering if people have any more advice for the best approach to take when researching/picking one? So far I've:
    - Looked up photos we like of real weddings at our venue on onefabday to see who the photographers are
    - Gotten a couple of personal recommendations
    - Gotten recommendations from the venue
    - Done more widespread searches of photographers (google, boards, HIGM page on facebook, weddingsonline.ie)

There are just so many though and I'm finding it extremely time consuming to even come up with a short list. By the time you look through a few of their albums online, check a few places for reviews etc, a whole evening seems to have evaporated! And then of course you might decide you don't like their style or if you do, find out they're not available etc.

There's one lovely lady we were in touch with and has some fantastic photos of our venue, but there was also one very poor album there with a lot of harsh flash photography. She said that it was a very dark rainy day... but surely a professional should be able to cope with all conditions?? :/ I'd just be concerned in case we have similar weather.

There's another guy who we were in touch with who seems to be very highly rated online and takes great photos. However despite being able to confirm that he has shot at our venue many times, he has NO photos of our venue online and refuses to provide any. I've asked multiple times, explaining our reasons for wanting to see them and getting completely stonewalled. I don't think this is an unreasonable request? He hasn't given any satisfactory reason not to provide them (if he has a contract with the couples not to share I'd understand, but he didn't mention that). So that has totally turned me off him, despite the countless amazing reviews and photos from other venues.

We've another promising lead, which was a personal recommendation, just waiting for her to come back to us with photos from our venue (she's asking permission from the couples first). She's a bit experimental though, including intentionally cutting off the couples heads at times! But overall her photos seem quite nice (only about 1 in 100 are bizarre and don't work) and I like her style, so fingers crossed. She's meant to be a lovely person too, which is obviously important as we'll be spending a lot of time together on the day!

I'm wondering if anyone has advice for casting a wider net and the most efficient way to do this??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Our photographer hadn't shot at our venue before and it wasn't something we had even thought about TBH. Our photograher was delighted with the oppertunity to shoot a different venue and he did his research before had. On the day he had great suggestions for places to take photos. The biggest problem we had was picking 350 photos from the 700 he shot becuase they were all so good.

Yeah and I think for most large hotel or country house venues it's not an issue. They're generally very spacious and well lit. So if a photographer is good at taking shots at one country house or castle, there's no reason he won't be good at taking them at another.

But our venue is quite small (Anglers Rest), so we can see how it would be a challenging space to work in. Particularly for the drinks reception around the bar area. We want someone who can take candid shots, without being intrusive. That's much easier to achieve at a large venue, so the albums available online at castles etc are of limited usefulness to us.

As I said, there's one photographer who I really like (so good at capturing raw emotions!). But she seems to struggle with indoor shots at our venue on dull/rainy days. So I'd like to see examples of other photographers work in our venue to see if they've had the same issues or manage the conditions more successfully. I know they could just send us shots from a sunny day initially, but we'd plan to chat to them about it too and hopefully they could send us examples from a dull/rainy day for comparison if available. Or at least reassure us about their approach and whether or not they depend on the flash there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

jellybear wrote: »

Thanks a million. That was my starting off point :) That's how I found the photographer that I thought I really liked, but the issues with the flash only became evident when we requested to see the full albums instead of just the highlights. This is why I'm so keen to see the full albums going forward! I don't want to book based on the highlights alone, as obviously they're only going to display the best photos publically.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,895 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Were getting married in July. Fair play to my fiance she has organised a lot so far. But still plenty more to do which we'll get to. Venue, photographer, band all sorted . The big things. We've the intention to marry appointment next week.

Slowly get there but it'll be upon us now in no time. :)

120 days to go!! Eep!

Starting to get very real now. I'm extremely anxious and finding it hard to get excited. My Dad is in hospital, everything is so uncertain. I feel selfish even thinking about the wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Just posted the invitations today. Less than 60 days to go..eek so much to do!

• Advertisement

Invitations going out this week. ��

Debenhams suit rental, where we picked the grooms and groomsmens Highland wear won't take an order due to Brexit ��
    Back to the drawing board there.

Advertisement