Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Transfer or selling a property subject to a judgement mortgage

• 28-02-2020 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi All, I'm hoping someone can help me here. I need to know if it is possible to transfer a property that has a lien on it. I want to transfer or gift the property to a family member but don't want to have to sell the house. Can the lien be transferred with the property?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

From what I can tell, the short answer is yes provided that the recipient agrees to it.

It would be worth consulting a legal professional for specific advice in your case though.

The law changed in 2006 and affected the ability to enforce liens held on certain types of deeds at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Generally not.

Is it a mortgage? If so its a burden not a lien

The bank consent would be required

Almost impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cluelessneeds help

seamus wrote: »
    From what I can tell, the short answer is yes provided that the recipient agrees to it.

It would be worth consulting a legal professional for specific advice in your case though.

The law changed in 2006 and affected the ability to enforce liens held on certain types of deeds at that point.

thank you, that's what I was hoping to hear - it's very difficult to find any information on line about it.

Generally not.

Is it a mortgage? If so its a burden not a lien

The bank consent would be required

Almost impossible

Thanks, no there is no mortage on the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

The other thing is that even if you gift the property to a family member they need to have their own solicitor advising them, particularly if there is a lien on the property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Joey99

Use of the phrase "lien" is a bit non-specific in an Irish context. If you take it that it refers to all types of encumbrances on a property (cautions, inhibitions, rights of way, charges) then the answers are likely to be very different for different types of lien.

Generally speaking almost anything is possible with the consent of both the transferee and the person entitled to the lien but the consent of the person entitled to the lien may not be forthcoming in all circumstances (eg banks, as a previous poster already commented).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,152 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

A lien presumably means a claim of some kind is being made against the owner of the property. Anybody who is given the property as a gift, or who buys it knowing about the lien is stuck with it and may end up having to deal with whatever the claim is themselves.

A lien presumably means a claim of some kind is being made against the owner of the property. Anybody who is given the property as a gift, or who buys it knowing about the lien is stuck with it and may end up having to deal with whatever the claim is themselves.

It's a judgement mortgage on the property

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Title amended for clarity

• Registered Users Posts: 6,152 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

It's a judgement mortgage on the property

You said earlier there is no mortgage on the property. if you transfer the property the judgement mortgage will go with it and the judgement creditor could seek an order for the sale of the property to satisfy the judgement. In the alternative, the judgement creditor could seek to have the transfer set aside as an attempt to defraud a creditor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement