Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

70 previous convictions.

Options
  • 28-02-2020 12:42am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭

This is a general question on how the Irish legal systems keeps records of convictions and who can access it.

So, say 'Paddy Murphy' (fictitious) is convicted of a crime, is there a public record of this?

Are Irish citizens able or legally entitled to view this anywhere?

It is often reported in mainstream media that 'Paddy Murphy' was in court over so-and-so and had '70 previous convictions'. How do the journalists know this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Steve wrote: »
    This is a general question on how the Irish legal systems keeps records of convictions and who can access it.

So, say 'Paddy Murphy' (fictitious) is convicted of a crime, is there a public record of this?

Are Irish citizens able or legally entitled to view this anywhere?

It is often reported in mainstream media that 'Paddy Murphy' was in court over so-and-so and had '70 previous convictions'. How do the journalists know this?

The prosecuting garda is normally asked in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

If he or she is convicted or pleads guilty, the judge will ask for a record of previous convictions before sentencing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Fann Linn wrote: »
    The prosecuting garda is normally asked in court.

Yes, that's what I heard.

Problem with that right there is it seems the garda has access to information that the judge does not??

How does that work?

Surely a sentencing judge should be expected to rely on information directly available to them?

But I digress..

My question remains, if a convicted criminal is convicted, is there a public record of it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

If he or she is convicted or pleads guilty, the judge will ask for a record of previous convictions before sentencing.

Ask who?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Problem with that right there is it seems the garda has access to information that the judge does not??

How does that work?

Surely a sentencing judge should be expected to rely on information directly available to them?

But I digress..

My question remains, if a convicted criminal is convicted, is there a public record of it?

I've seen gardai in the witness box with reems of sheets of convictions for offenders and naming off dates and courts and fines of previous for same. It would be impossible for any judge to have prior knowledge for some of the 'usual suspects'' as their lists of convictions are so long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

How does that work?

Not at all. Other way round, in fact. Just as in trying the offence, in sentencing for an offence the judge only operates off information that has been presented in open court.
    Yes and no.

Yes, in the sense that there is a record of it, maintained by public officials.

No, in the sense that the record is not freely available to the general public.

Advertisement