Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a D4 in Waterford

• 08-09-2020 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

Was watching MorningAM this AM and Paul Howard was on it. He was giving a synopsis of his new book and said that every city has a D4. Cork has a C4 - Douglas etc.

So whats Waterfords D4(W4)? Ardkeen? Williamstown etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭91wx763

Snorlaxx wrote: »
    Was watching MorningAM this AM and Paul Howard was on it. He was giving a synopsis of his new book and said that every city has a D4. Cork has a C4 - Douglas etc.

Definitely Ballybeg.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,779 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

91wx763 wrote:
    Definitely Ballybeg.

Its just d, the 4 was robbed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Kings Channel, any of the houses near Saint Annes tennis club and Dunmore East tends to have much of the posher element of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Thing about D4 is that it's close to town and an old established area. For that reason I'd always put the area around Newtown/Summerville Avenue/parts of the Passage Road and then up to the tennis club as W4. It's an awful wannabe term but Howard has a point.

I wouldn't put the area around Ardkeen or Williamstown in the same bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭dzilla

WD4

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

91wx763 wrote: »
    Definitely Ballybeg.

All of Waterford is just different shades of Ballybeg in fairness. It's what's makes the Dunmore Rd snobs (not all residents of the area, keep the knickers untwisted) so awkwardly hiliarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

All Waterford is not shades of Ballybeg!

Go from the traffic lights junction at Passage Road to Dunmore Road and then swing round left as far as Newtown School lights. The Dunmore Road on the right side as you go to first Ardkeen roundabout has some nice properties as well. All very settled with high prices and easily the best looking homes in the city. All of which probably cost of fortune to heat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

No place in the City has ever stood out for me. I've never thought - "I'd really like to live in such a place". Lots of rural East Waterford can be ugly too - McMansions and other one-off housing, ugly building materials, tatty disjointed roadscapes.

Saint Andrew's Terrace on Newtown Road is a fine example of it's type. Just a pity that most of the properties are now businesses and flats

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Is ardkeen considered posh in Waterford?? My mother is from Ardkeen and while it is fine it would never would have struck me as posh or anything to write home about it by any stretch. Overall Waterford is a small city and does not feel very wealthy in any parts, I don't think a city necessarily has to have a d4 bit

• Advertisement

Proper Ardkeen is actually mainly commercial with a few fairly average housing estates "round the back" (the Bromleys, Appians, Eskers roads) and blocks of flats. Places like Leoville and Viewmount either side are not in Ardkeen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    No place in the City has ever stood out for me. I've never thought - "I'd really like to live in such a place". Lots of rural East Waterford can be ugly too - McMansions and other one-off housing, ugly building materials, tatty disjointed roadscapes.

There is loads of beautiful properties in the city,you just can't see them from the road they are all walled in,go along Newtown Rd and all those houses on the left overlooking the river ,same down by the castle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

All fur coat and no knickers by alot in the city.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

All Waterford is not shades of Ballybeg!

Ah it is Ted in fairness. Some have a bigger house that is not owned by the council and can put on an accent that sounds almost acceptable, but to outsiders it's still akin to a traveller trying to speak French...

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Is ardkeen considered posh in Waterford?? My mother is from Ardkeen and while it is fine it would never would have struck me as posh or anything to write home about it by any stretch. Overall Waterford is a small city and does not feel very wealthy in any parts, I don't think a city necessarily has to have a d4 bit

No it wouldn't be.

Dum_Dum wrote: »

Would agree that there's a lot of 'niveau riche' development in Waterford, but disagree that there aren't pockets of very desirable period property in places around Newtown in particular.

Unfortunately a lot of Georgian era property was left to rot. Areas around the Mall being a good example.

No offence to anyone who might be living there, but the McMansions in places like Ballinamona are utter tack. That's one area that's aged very poorly, and might reflect the standard of architects in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

any update on liz reddy getting sacked regards brian

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭bullpost

hardybuck wrote: »
    Would agree that there's a lot of 'niveau riche' development in Waterford, but disagree that there aren't pockets of very desirable period property in places around Newtown in particular.

Unfortunately a lot of Georgian era property was left to rot. Areas around the Mall being a good example.

No offence to anyone who might be living there, but the McMansions in places like Ballinamona are utter tack. That's one area that's aged very poorly, and might reflect the standard of architects in the town.

Newtown - Old money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Motivator

Fur coat, no knickers can be applied to the majority of estates on the Dunmore Rd. Before Covid, I used to walk around Ardkeen Stores on a Saturday to give myself a laugh. I’ve witnessed some really high end douchebaggery out there. The kids fresh from Rugby training traipsing after Mum while she picks up a quiche for lunch. Mum, in her active wear and oversized sunglasses, loudly scolding kids for wanting a chicken roll instead of quiche. No says Mum, a light lunch is all we’re having because Dad has a table booked in the Strand this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Rustyman101

ah tis yourself Marian Keyes! nice story......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Motivator wrote: »
    Fur coat, no knickers can be applied to the majority of estates on the Dunmore Rd. Before Covid, I used to walk around Ardkeen Stores on a Saturday to give myself a laugh. I’ve witnessed some really high end douchebaggery out there. The kids fresh from Rugby training traipsing after Mum while she picks up a quiche for lunch. Mum, in her active wear and oversized sunglasses, loudly scolding kids for wanting a chicken roll instead of quiche. No says Mum, a light lunch is all we’re having because Dad has a table booked in the Strand this evening.

That comes across like some a load of small mindedness, jealousy even. You need to open your mind a bit if quiche and rugby are evidence of some sort of negative trait.

Meanwhile, in the zoo like atmosphere of the Lisduggan shopping centre, Ardkeen mum's counterpart, also in her active wear but sans sunglasses, has collected her dole and single parent allowance and has the shopping trolley filled with the weekly shop which consists of frozen pizzas and vodka.

Lisduggan mum loudly scolds her offspring for wanting a chipper for dinner instead of the Chinese that Dad has promised to bring home on his way back from the pub.

Stereotypes are so much fun aren't they?

Max Powers wrote: »
    That comes across like some a load of small mindedness, jealousy even. You need to open your mind a bit if quiche and rugby are evidence of some sort of negative trait.

i must take up rugby so, im kinna fond of quiche

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i must take up rugby so, im kinna fond of quiche

I love a bit of quiche too, sometimes I have some salad with it, is the salad posh, if I had salad dressing on the salad, does that mean I'm kind of posh/stuck up? In fairness. It's not heinz salad dressing, it's a locally made viniagrette....I've just realised, i must be an awful person with that viniagrette but I'm not so much a fan of rugby, can I offset that against the viniagrette.

I love a bit of quiche too, sometimes I have some salad with it, is the salad posh, if I had salad dressing on the salad, does that mean I'm kind of posh/stuck up? In fairness. It's not heinz salad dressing, it's a locally made viniagrette....I've just realised, i must be an awful person with that viniagrette but I'm not so much a fan of rugby, can I offset that against the viniagrette.

i could never mix with you, just too posh, sorry!

If you accompany it with something like quinoa, a quality wine pairing, and find yourself talking about Munster's total over reliance on box kicking.... that's when you know you've turned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Think we found Waterford's Paul Howard here.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Cork has a C4 - Douglas etc.

Actually, Cork has had four postal districts for decades. Cork 4 is the southwest quarter of the city and Cork 2 was the southeast quarter. Douglas Road is C2, but Douglas was in the county - not all of it is posh.

"Back in the day", old money used to be Montenotte, Tivoli, Blackrock Road, Sunday's Well. When I was growing up, it was Blackrock Road and Douglas Road (both D2) and Rochestown (county). More recently it's more likely to be rural areas like Ovens, Crosshaven and Kinsale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Newtown sticks out for me the most because traditionally it's where the wealthy lived and was the most unionist part of the city. Lord Roberts (helped invent concentration camps during the Boer war) was also from the area.

People usually used to vote conservative there back in the day. Also the Quakers lived there and they were very prosperous. Must be still a few still in the area considering there's a primary school, boarding school and Quaker meeting house. Many fine houses going out along the Dunmore road too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Funniest thread on the Waterford forum for years. Thanks.

Advertisement