Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

city square

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭Deiseen

iseegirls wrote: »
    Any news regarding any shops that will go in there?

Will this be just one big unit that will use that new space, or a few smaller units.

Was in Bookstation over the weekend, busy enough. Card selection was good with a selection of low prive and high price cards and some decent offers on books. However, very small magazine offering, so The Book Centre will still dominate that area.
    Do people.... still.... read..... magazines?????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Deiseen wrote: »

Of course they do. People of all ages read magazines about films, travel, even tractors. I know its a slowly dying trade but I don't know what would make you ask that question, as if "people" includes everyone under 19 with an Instagram and Snapchat account.

Of course they do. People of all ages read magazines about films, travel, even tractors. I know its a slowly dying trade but I don't know what would make you ask that question, as if "people" includes everyone under 19 with an Instagram and Snapchat account.

I'm in my early 30s and haven't read a magazine in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Then you are probably male - in excess of 90% of magazine purchase is by females and magazine readership has actually grown slightly in recent years (similarly physical book sales have grown)

Thats you. One person. And its a bit premature to suggest that "people" these days don't read magazines.

• Advertisement

Thats you. One person. And its a bit premature to suggest that "people" these days don't read magazines.

Ok let me rephrase.

I'm in my early thirties and so are are most of my friends. But, I also have older/younger friends and I haven't seen a single one of them read or buy a magazine in about 10 years. As was said above, over 90% of magazine purchases are women. Not one single person I know reads magazines. Not a single one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Only look at the pictures ?! :D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Not one single person I know reads magazines. Not a single one.

Not even a magazine when travelling, on holidays etc, Christmas RTE Guide?
    I love Four Four Two during the summer holidays. Albeit I wouldn't buy it any other time as it's expensive, but it's a nice read when on the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

greenspurs wrote: »

LOL :D

greenspurs wrote: »

Haven't read a single word since I could reach the top shelf!

• Advertisement

Ok let me rephrase.

Ok....and? Taking you and all the people you know, plus their families, that's still only a tiny fraction of a percentage of the overall population, many of which still read a wide variety of different magazines all over the country, from travel to cars to computer games. They may be fading away but taking the standpoint of "I don't read them therefore nobody does" is downright ignorant.

Ok let me rephrase.

Ok....and? Taking you and all the people you know, plus their families, that's still only a tiny fraction of a percentage of the overall population, many of which still read a wide variety of different magazines all over the country, from travel to cars to computer games. They may be fading away but taking the standpoint of "I don't read them therefore nobody does" is downright ignorant.

Jaysis! I've touched a nerve, do you make your own magazines or something? Do a quick search and you will see magazine falls have plummeted. Hardly ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Magazine sales eh? People on the internet will argue over any point.

longshanks wrote: »
    Magazine sales eh? People on the internet will argue over any point.

I'd have to argue with you there on your comment about people on the internet....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I'd have to argue with you there on your comment about people on the internet....

Wanna fight? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Any word yet on which restaurants are going to be occupying the food court. Its due to be open in a month or so so surely they know who is going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Any word yet on which restaurants are going to be occupying the food court. Its due to be open in a month or so so surely they know who is going in.

No couple months ago a Dublin restaurant called chopped said setting up didn't say where...possibly there.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Max Powers wrote: »
    No couple months ago a Dublin restaurant called chopped said setting up didn't say where...possibly there.

Chopped is great, a good addition to the city

• Registered Users Posts: 37,759 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

looking forward too the foodcourt opening

this time last week found it difficult too find somewhere decent too eat at 4pm, most places in the john street area were closed at that time

Id love nandos or KFC and a fancy burger place too go into the food court

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

PTH2009 wrote: »
    looking forward too the foodcourt opening

this time last week found it difficult too find somewhere decent too eat at 4pm, most places in the john street area were closed at that time

Id love nandos or KFC and a fancy burger place too go into the food court

I feel a nando's would do pretty well as would KFC. KFC in Ardkeen is in a horrible location, too far out from the town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

I don't feel this would be the best place for Nando's or KFC as it closes too early. For this foodcourt to really work City Square will have to open until around 10 pm. Places like Nandos, TJI Fridays etc tend to be social places where people go to in the night time. If they get a Nandos or a similar resturant and open late it would be a great for Waterford. Giving people an alternative to pubs and clubs especially giving the fact that the cinema is close by.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fargojones123

I would love to see KFC or even a Hilbilly's with seating in the Foodcourt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,209 ✭✭✭goochy

haven't been to chopped but one near my job in cork , 6 euro for a sandwich and 7.50 for a bowl of rabbit food ? surely Waterford people wont be fooled by it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

The salads because they are chopped up small are actually quite dense and filling, there is a lot in the bowl and you get a decent bit of protein (e.g. a chicken breast) in them and the dressing's are good.

Certainly filling at the same price as a McDonalds or Supremac but a much healthier options that you dont feel ****e after eating. Glad to see it in Waterford to be honest.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Hasn't Chopped already opened in Waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,209 ✭✭✭goochy

so youre saying if I paid 7.50 for a bowl of salad I would like it and think its good value ? that's without even a drink ? subway seems much better option.

could people not buy a bit of salad and that very cheaply ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

wdQRin7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

goochy wrote: »
    so youre saying if I paid 7.50 for a bowl of salad I would like it and think its good value ? that's without even a drink ? subway seems much better option.

If you haven't eaten there or even seen the menu they have then why are you commenting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    I don't feel this would be the best place for Nando's or KFC as it closes too early. For this foodcourt to really work City Square will have to open until around 10 pm. Places like Nandos, TJI Fridays etc tend to be social places where people go to in the night time. If they get a Nandos or a similar resturant and open late it would be a great for Waterford. Giving people an alternative to pubs and clubs especially giving the fact that the cinema is close by.

I'm not sure what the layout is going to be but surely there is scope for City Square to stay open later in the evenings, even after the shops in the centre itself have closed? The food court is going to be upstairs so surely once the shops downstairs are closed and locked up, there shouldn't be any issue with keeping the centre open until 9pm or so every night.
    It would be a great thing to see in the city but they'd have to make sure they advertise it properly or people wouldn't know.
    haven't been to chopped but one near my job in cork , 6 euro for a sandwich and 7.50 for a bowl of rabbit food ? surely Waterford people wont be fooled by it ?

The food from Chopped is delicious. You're probably not a salad eater if you refer to it as "rabbit food" but the salads in Chopped are more than a bit of lettuce.

Obviously it's chearp to buy your own salad to make at home but the same can be said for almost all food.

I'm looking forward to there being healthier options in town.
    Sully wrote: »

Where?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Sully wrote: »

I have seen signs outside some Centra shops advertising "Chopped Salads" :D
    Sort of jumping on the bandwagon.

Advertisement