Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you believe in UFOs & flying saucers ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Crop circles.

10 or 20% man made, but who makes the rest?

You missed a zero after your 10... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Given the huge number of galaxies in the universe, that we know of, and given the huge number of solar systems in them, it's almost inevitable that there are other sentient life forms out there.

But...the distances between stars are so large that only a tiny proportion of those sentient life forms are likely to have the technology necessary to travel the huge distances. And if they did have the technology to travel those distances, they would have to have the ability to manipulate spacetime, so it's unlikely they hit a tree/got struck by lightning/etc and crash-landed in Billy-Bob's field in Buttfuck, Arkansas.

I don't doubt that people have seen things in the sky, but I do doubt that they were extraterrestrial craft.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Once we've mastered warp drive, zero gravity, cryosleep, and found a rich seam of dilithium crystals (in a South African mine), we'll be buzzing round the galaxy with the best of them in about fifty years?

Time travel might be a tough nut to crack :cool:
    .. tongue firmly in cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Hoop66 wrote: »
    Given the huge number of galaxies in the universe, that we know of, and given the huge number of solar systems in them, it's almost inevitable that there are other sentient life forms out there.

But...the distances between stars are so large that only a tiny proportion of those sentient life forms are likely to have the technology necessary to travel the huge distances. And if they did have the technology to travel those distances, they would have to have the ability to manipulate spacetime, so it's unlikely they hit a tree/got struck by lightning/etc and crash-landed in Billy-Bob's field in Buttfuck, Arkansas.

I don't doubt that people have seen things in the sky, but I do doubt that they were extraterrestrial craft.

Fair enough but what on earth are they? Especially after seeing the USN tic tac videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

NIMAN wrote: »
    This kinda sums up my beliefs too, simply by doing the maths involved.

And also, because of the maths involved, we may never get the chance to find out if we are correct or not.
    Yes but why would they bother fly such mind boggingly incredible distances to buzz around our skies ?

If they have that ridiculous technology surely they could hide themselves properly ?

Thats why that UFO annoys me that the F18's spotted in 2004, I don't want to believe it, but I can't see another explanation ...

• Advertisement

saabsaab wrote: »
    Fair enough but what on earth are they? Especially after seeing the USN tic tac videos.

Classified military aircraft/drones probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

saabsaab wrote: »

The truth is we don't know, and can only speculate, but some speculations are more fact based than others.
    They could be any number of visual phenomena or sensor anomalies. For instance FLIR throws up various kinds of thermal anomalies; and previous high-speed UFOs were detected on US military radar after new systems were installed, ie when the system was bedding down and its users were less familiar with it.

They could be released as part of a deception operation regarding experimental aircraft. The US is known to be currently developing experimental aircraft in various new major aerospace programs. Rival powers may develop counters. If sightings of UFOs exhibiting unusual characteristics are released then the rival powers have to sort the credible from the non-credible in deciding which to devote scarce resources to counter.
    Or they could be hyper-advanced aliens capable of interstellar travel who came all the way to earth merely to zoom around within sensor range of USN aircraft and do SFA else of consequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Classified military stuff certainly explains the early 'flying saucer' encounters.

Sam Kean's book Caesar's Last Breath, all about the impact of gases on human history, has a good account of it. Most amusing.
    Were a type of high flying U.S. military balloon for detecting Russian blast test evidence in the ionosphere. When one fell on to some guy's land he brought it to his barn and the local radio got a hold of it. The military completely made a mess of the PR around it and a flying saucer idea developed. The military thought it best to actually nourish this idea to stop any investigation or revelation on what they were actually at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The only counter argument against life on the 6,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (or so) habitable planets out there, is that of 'travel logistics'.

One has to remember humans have only moved injust 100yrs from getting barely airborne for no longer than 3mins in a farmers field, on board a shanty wooden single propeller craft. To re-usable rockets in the last few years.

Likely some combination of nuclear thermal electric (heating liquid hydrogen), 200MW electric-ion {39days travel time} or solar-electric 50kw, strap on (chemical) rockets (or something else) at each stage in sending humans to Mars 2030-ish.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Crop circles.

10 or 20% man made, but who makes the rest?
    Amazing how they stopped happening during the foot and mouth when travel was restricted.

How many have been found during this lockdown ?

It's amazing how people still believe in crop circles even after public demonstrations of how to make them using noting more complicated than string and a bit of wood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

nthclare wrote: »

Supposedly there's a cryptoid doing well in getting noticed around Ballyvaughan/Fanore in the last few years.

Seen by a few people.

Fr. Jack has finally reached the mainland. He's due a good shave at this 'stage'.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SomeGuyCalledMi

The only conspiracy theory I believe is that oil companies are behind climate change denial.

As for the ufo issue I don't think all of the people who see them are lying. I think some people are not good at admitting when they don't know something, especially experts.

The truth is probably that nobody knows what some these things are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

How many have been found during this lockdown ?
    It's amazing how people still believe in crop circles even after public demonstrations of how to make them using noting more complicated than string and a bit of wood.

They appear in Summertime right? When the harvest is at its height I think, so not sure about this year yet. I personally have always pondered as to whether they can all be fake, or just some of the most rudimentary formations.

The intricacy of many of the patterns has to be seen (from the air) to be believed, so how and why anybody could simply trample the crop in such a precise way is beyond me.

Yet who else is creating them other than people?

Logically a trained team of people sets out to create them overnight in the dark (tricky), and yet I wonder if that's possible :cool:

Many examples online if you search Crop Circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The thing is, supposedly they have been out there observing us for at least a century now, you would think they would do one of three things,

(a) decide we were worth taking on as a colony and making a big show

(b) determine that we were some future danger and eliminate us

(c) get bored and go looking for a more interesting planet

and not (d) hang around making more and more ambiguous appearances

but then you never know, aliens may not be very bright, just technological geeks without social skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SomeGuyCalledMi

They could be right in front of us now and we'll never know. No more than an ant knows my foot is an inch above it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

The question we need to be asking is not if they are real but why are they visiting us.

My own view is that we are possibly their experiment/creation and they are observing us.

I can't believe in 2020 that people are still dismissing the topic when there is mountains of solid evidence that we are not alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭kincaid

I believe they exist but never saw one,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

The thing is, supposedly they have been out there observing us for at least a century now, you would think they would do one of three things,

(a) decide we were worth taking on as a colony and making a big show

(b) determine that we were some future danger and eliminate us

(c) get bored and go looking for a more interesting planet

and not (d) hang around making more and more ambiguous appearances

but then you never know, aliens may not be very bright, just technological geeks without social skills.

or maybe they were the ones who put us here and come back every so often just to check up?

i often wonder do some of the tribes in the amazon who see a plane fly over think that they are some sort of alien spacecraft??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

bangkok wrote: »
    or maybe they were the ones who put us here and come back every so often just to check up?

i often wonder do some of the tribes in the amazon who see a plane fly over think that they are some sort of alien spacecraft??

Doubt it,only hardwood prospectors

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

They could be right in front of us now and we'll never know. No more than an ant knows my foot is an inch above it.

Way I look at this is why do we think we're so special as the only "civilised" species on just this one small, insignificant planet in the solar system,
    Genuinely hope there are other species out there, why not, I've buried a lot of family members beleive in the afterlife, and hope that we're not alone

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Logically a trained team of people sets out to create them overnight in the dark (tricky), and yet I wonder if that's possible :cool:
    The simplest explanation that meets all the known observations is that Doug and Dave are artists, with all that entails.

Crop circles were completely debunked when it was explained how they were made. There were no footprints because they walked along tractor tracks.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1991-09-10-mn-2463-story.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Crop circles were completely debunked when it was explained how they were made. There were no footprints because they walked along tractor tracks.
    Perhaps so, assuming this explains 100% of all cases.

Fare more curious/interesting/relevant is the occurance of animal mutilations, (usually cattle). Might be some interest from the flying lads from Zeon, as cows have four stomachs and are able to transform plain grass into a nutritious top up to a cuppatae, or splash on the cornflakes.

Could well just be a bunch of bored lads in a chopper with laser cutters removing organs (usually via the cows rear), slicing off tounges (ideal for dna samples), and not leaving a trace of blood while they're at it.

Best not to googleimagebot it, if just after having a heavy lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

They are not aliens, just top secret Military tech.
    Stealth bomber is 70's tech
    The fastest plane ever built the SR-71 Blackbird is 60's tech
    Do you think tech has not advanced since then?
    Russia showing unreal missile tech on it evening news, so imagine what both USA and Russia have thats top secret?

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

The Space X launch was delayed because its a little humid and some scattered showers
    Here is a Russian launch getting hit by lightning

Here is one in blizzard like conditions

They keep us in the dark and tell us nothing about the latest tech.
    benrich.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

No. I barely believe in humans. And that depends on the day, time and the mood I'm in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

Why not, my nana point-blank refused to believe that man actually landed on the moon
    mine too refused to believe that man went to the moon

What is a tractor path the crop circle hoaxers walked in? If it is the markings of a tractor in the ground wouldn't ther be a mark of their feet on the tractor mark. If not why need to walk in a tractor path since if their feet would not be seen in a tractor path how would they be seen anywhere else?

They walked down the paths the tractor wheels had already made in the wheat to avoid leaving their own tracks toward the circles they were creating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

They walked down the paths the tractor wheels had already made in the wheat to avoid leaving their own tracks toward the circles they were creating.
    Thanks. The investigators never considered that possibility? I am not very well up on the history. I would have thought their feet would make tracks in the wheat over the tractor tracks

da_miser wrote: »
    They are not aliens, just top secret Military tech.
    Stealth bomber is 70's tech
    The fastest plane ever built the SR-71 Blackbird is 60's tech
    Do you think tech has not advanced since then?
    The X-15 was flying in the 1950's and got to Mach 6 on 9th November 1961

The XB-70 Valkyrie was also doing Mach 3 in the mid 1960's as part of a very public program. And it was a large aircraft.

Lots of others here
    http://www.astronautix.com/s/spaceplane.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭saabsaab

ddpjx4g-b47b8e35-3b20-4b5e-974d-b8bd9905cf9d.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvOWI3MThmNGUtZmFhZi00Y2ZhLWFiODQtYzFhN2YwOGIyODRlXC9kZHBqeDRnLWI0N2I4ZTM1LTNiMjAtNGI1ZS05NzRkLWI4YmQ5OTA1Y2Y5ZC5qcGcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.D7xcMXKg7Kmf4iwz0mTqcn3v_xDLq1GAyXAHZQAURLg

Flying wing 1949. odd.

Advertisement