Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-03-2020, 13:42   #61
Rew

Ischgl and st Anton valleys just went full quarantine. No one coming home for 2 weeks.
Advertisement
13-03-2020, 13:46   #62
AdpRo

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightybonkers View Post
I'm trying to change my ryanair flights online. Won't let me go past the selection of new flights. I have already checked in.
My flights are to Munich, which they have no service to after 31 March 2020.. .
Did you phone them?
No I changed the flights from Munich to Salzburg, done it on-line.
Thanks from:
13-03-2020, 14:03   #63
Rew

Andorra is now closed for skiing
Thanks from:
14-03-2020, 19:16   #64
Rew

Looks like France is closing finally

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51892477
16-03-2020, 01:57   #65

Quote:
Airbnb should be able to refund some or all of your costs for accommodation...or maybe allow you to rebook for next season. It's worth a try.

We were due to travel to Mayrhofen tomorrow till Monday night but our accommodation has told us we can't come and will refund us fully.
Hoping that our insurance will cover is for flights and transfers.

But if not, it's only money and that can cannot buy health.
Stay safe and healthy and we look forward to next season.
Just got back in from Mayrhofen, stayed at Austria Apartments. Checkef with host re cancellation picy in light of corona. Told us no problem with corons and no cancellation refund. Arrived thursfay to find out resort closing sunday. Due to fly home monday evening. No apology from hotel. Paid 700 to aer lingus for flight home tonight to find germany closing borders. Aer lingus wouldnt respond re chamges. Just glad to be home...
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
16-03-2020, 07:38   #66
raymo19

I tried to cancel holiday early last week. Hotel having none of it as no Corona in Gastein. Anyway decided not to go on Thursday. Info then coming from posters on this thread (Many Thanks AGAIN) on Friday was indicating the all areas in Austria would soon close which they did. The hotel in Bad Gastein contacted us late on Friday telling us not to travel and that they will refund in full (Fair Play). We then rebooked the Ryan Air flights for same time next season. Didn't accept the original rebooking fee of 150 euro for three of us and when we later decided to accept it only to find it was 250. So I suppose we did well in the end considering I thought all was lost last Thursday. Hard lines Donal hope u get something back.
16-03-2020, 20:27   #67
slightybonkers

Raymo - I still haven't any joy with Ryanair or my insurance.... I'm going to try again later this week when things start to reduce in their call centre. Fingers crossed.

Donalmoore - glad you are home. We were lucky that on Thurs night I saw the update on Tyrols website and our accommodation also emailed me. I was all set for travel on Friday morning.

Even though I'm out some €€ I'm glad I wasn't over there as I would have been worried for health and also getting from Mayrhofen to Dublin via Germany.

Always next season.
(2) thanks from:
17-03-2020, 06:29   #68
a148pro

Quote:

Always next season.
Now isn't really the time to be having this debate but I think there's a legitimate question about the future of skiing over next couple of years. If this becomes a seasonal virus then a winter sport involving large numbers of people travelling to and from one area may not be viable or desireable. A lot depends on the life span of the virus, how it reacts in summer and whether immunity develops / is vaccinated.

I think skiing got a reasonable amount of bad press, albeit buried amongst a tsunami of bad news items. And a lot of people had bad experiences in terms of getting stuck in places. How many skiers had their holiday plans wrecked or interrupted in the last few weeks, had anxieties around it. How many know others who had these experiences and would think twice about booking in the future. What will the travel insurance environment look like in the coming years.

Also how many people actually contracted it in Ski resorts? A lot of fake or presumptive news going around at the moment, is their any reliable report of the Ischgl story and others? I heard figures like over a hundred cases being associated with a given Ski resort but I'd like to see reliable confirmation of that?

I love the mountains, I'm never leaving them but I wonder will a touring trip be more likely over the next few years
(2) thanks from:
18-03-2020, 08:32   #69
raymo19

Hi All,
Have a read of article "Alpine breeding Grounds" in Der Spiegel. Seems like "the greed" got to the Austrian Authorities in the Tyrol. I did come across a article last week while I was trying to work out would I travel or not to Gastein valley Austria. The article detailed that Icelandic authorities were saying that nearly 50 percent of cases identified in Iceland were coming directly from Austria and the balance came from Italy. V small percentage was local transmission. This brought some clarity to me. The authorities in Tyrol have alot to answer for.
Raymo.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-03-2020, 09:09   #70
Billy Mays

Ischgl seems to be getting the blame

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=152247
Thanks from:
18-03-2020, 19:21   #71
slightybonkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo19 View Post
The authorities in Tyrol have alot to answer for.
Raymo.

I just read the article. As per above, this may have alot of people re-thinking their ski trips in the future and a lot of changes to the apres scene.

https://www.spiegel.de/international...2-7fea35436479
19-03-2020, 09:21   #72
Billy Mays

https://www.politico.eu/article/the-...the-continent/
Thanks from:
19-03-2020, 15:30   #73
skallywag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mays View Post
I would say that this article is bang on the money.

The valley where Ischgl is located, Paznauntal, has long been famous in Austria for being a law unto themselves and spectacular greed. Sure, all resorts will be guilty of this to some degree, but Ischgl always gets a special mention. The yearly price increases on ski passes, food, etc. is extortionate and miles ahead of the curve re inflation, etc.

Again though, it has become an overall trend though across Austria. Unless you all go very regularly and all have season passes (I did this once, but I found it just limited me too much so did not do it again) then I cannot see how most families can afford a day out with the kids etc. E.g. Two adults, two kids, with lunch, you are looking at 250-300 EUR min.
20-03-2020, 00:03   #74
a148pro

yeah I remember being on a Ski lift at least 10 years ago in Anton and an austrian guy telling me that skiing had become too expensive for most Austrians

Combined with the age demographic going up and up, because only they can afford it, bit of a mini crisis for skiing. Need to make it cheaper and younger again.

Let's all focus on reducing the carnage here first though
20-03-2020, 13:30   #75
skallywag

Quote:
Originally Posted by a148pro View Post
Let's all focus on reducing the carnage here first though
Very true.

You can still go out for a walk or a cycle at the moment in Austria which is great. You would normally see the same old faces if you cycle or run regularly on forest paths etc. but the last days they have been getting really busy with newcomers, which I fully understand.

The downside though is that I a am afraid it could keep getting busier, leading to such activity being banned for everyone, which would be a real shame.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion