Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-02-2020, 09:41   #1
mr_fegelien

When will men get liberated from gender roles?

60 years ago, any woman who would have worn trousers would have been laughed at like a man wearing skirts in modern times. Today, women wearing pants elicits no response.

Women also can take up STEM subjects, don't have to get married, can act masculine, are leaders of countries etc...

Yet men are still ridiculed for wearing feminine attire, choosing careers like nursing, etc..

Why is this? When will men "women up" and not be afraid of showing their feminine side?
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
08-02-2020, 09:51   #3
Berties_Horse

My concept of gender is fixed, not fluid. Thanks for asking.
08-02-2020, 10:03   #4
One eyed Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_fegelien View Post
Yet men are still ridiculed for wearing feminine attire, choosing careers like nursing, etc..

Why is this? When will men "women up" and not be afraid of showing their feminine side?

Because men in women’s clothing look ridiculous, and people aren’t afraid to show their disdain for such nonsense. Men are ridiculed for taking low-paying ****e jobs because they’re expected to be capable of more. Men don’t have a “feminine side”, they’re men - masculine. Men are expected to behave like men and not behave like women. Why should men who want to behave like women expect people to accept that sort of behaviour?

I don’t think anyone is “afraid” to show their feminine side or their masculine side. I think they’re fully conscious that there are social standards expected of them and nobody in society can simply be who they want and expect other people should just accept that. Society has no time for selfish individuals.
08-02-2020, 10:04   #5
Leg End Reject

Women campaigned for change and equal rights.

I hope you're going to lead the way for men to have the right to wear skirts without ridicule, Mr_F.

But a quick point, I don't think any normal person mocks male nurses in this day and age.
Advertisement
08-02-2020, 10:08   #6
klaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leg End Reject View Post
Women campaigned for change and equal rights.
Actually, quite a few men were there with them during those campaigns. My father marched with my mother for equal rights throughout the 60s/70s.
08-02-2020, 10:10   #7
whisky_galore

Which pretty frock are you going to wear today, OP?
Thanks from:
08-02-2020, 10:11   #8
ILoveYourVibes

They have always been free to do this. They just don't want to. They look down on feminine men.

The only people keeping men oppressed in a way that has anything to do with gender is MEN.
Thanks from:
08-02-2020, 10:12   #9
Leg End Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaz View Post
Actually, quite a few men were there with them during those campaigns. My father marched with my mother for equal rights throughout the 60s/70s.
I was wasn't suggesting they didn't, nor trying to score points. I'm just not sure feg understands the issues men should be campaigning for, skirts are either a very low, or nonexistent, issue.

Fair play to your father though.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-02-2020, 10:15   #10
ILoveYourVibes

Quote:
Originally Posted by blergh View Post
I'd be more concerned about what happens to fathers in the event of separation.
Do you not think that is a cultural by product of these gender roles?
08-02-2020, 10:15   #11
Season 2

Any time something at work needs carried it's the men called on to help. Even though it's often light stuff. The office is very warm so you end up back at your desk all sweaty. Pisses me off.
(3) thanks from:
08-02-2020, 10:16   #12
ILoveYourVibes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Season 2 View Post
Any time something at work needs carried it's the men called on to help. Even though it's often light stuff. The office is very warm so you end up back at your desk all sweaty. Pisses me off.
You are physically stronger. Be mature.
08-02-2020, 10:18   #13
Season 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveYourVibes View Post
You are physically stronger. Be mature.
Its light stuff easily carried by men or woman. Some of the women could do with the exercise too.

I'm going to be refusing from now on. Bad back will be the excuse.
(3) thanks from:
08-02-2020, 10:21   #14
johnmcdnl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Season 2 View Post
How about next time someone asks you for help carrying something, ask me or some of your other male (or female) colleagues to do it instead if it's that big of an issue for you.
(2) thanks from:
08-02-2020, 10:22   #15
klaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leg End Reject View Post
I was wasn't suggesting they didn't, nor trying to score points. I'm just not sure feg understands the issues men should be campaigning for, skirts are either a very low, or nonexistent, issue.

Fair play to your father though.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to suggest that you were. It's just a fairly common thing to see where males are excluded from any involvement for women's rights. It's something that they needed to do in the face of male resistance.. yadda yadda yadda (irrespective that a lot of the resistance came from other women).

I would agree that men's rights should be more concerned with actual rights. Equality in the workplace/society, the removal of gender quotas, fathers rights, better funding for male related health concerns, educational problems for males in schooling.

TBH, I think campaigning for male rights is pretty useless. Feminism has momentum built in that area, and male rights are generally perceived as being opposed to female rights. You can't have one without taking away from the other, which means there will be serious resistance regardless of how reasonable the argument is.

Instead, males should be pushing for egalitarianism. Equality of opportunity, and a society that stops placing so much emphasis on gender.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion