Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irritating words or phrases

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

gender fluid

safe space

generally any bull**** feminist American liberal terminology

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Spag bol

• Registered Users Posts: 30,149 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Corrie.
    Sambo.
    Chrimbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Piers Morgan

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Decimate

Used to mean one in ten, ie a Roman punishment by killing one in ten of a Roman legion.

The clue is in the name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

gender fluid

Sounds a bit disgusting.
    What about the old standby, "At the end of the day"?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Epic is a word that has been ruined by the internet, in the last 10 years every mildly impressive thing has been described as epic, the word has lost all meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭lc180

Innovation, Automation and don't get me started on Synergy!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Double down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Isn't it well for ye
    Says you
    Touch wood

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

When politicians say "let me be clear" and predictably begin to waffle

When football pundits say "your Gerrards, your Lampards, your Keanes"

When someone says an opinion is "problematic"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Stanford wrote: »
    Going forward

That's one of those ridiculous phrases that's been partly redeemed in my eyes by satire. "Thank you kindly for becoming an Oliver Callan sketch of yourself. Moving along..."

nuac wrote: »
    Decimate

Used to mean one in ten, ie a Roman punishment by killing one in ten of a Roman legion.

The clue is in the name

So, metaphors in general, then? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

When someone posts on social media and says "sure what else would ya be doing?"

And chillaxing!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,222 ✭✭✭✭endacl

'Litchrally'

Fuck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

The use of "reach out" to mean make contact with someone, usually said by businesses on social media.

When politicians say "let me be clear" and predictably begin to waffle
    Or on occasion, to indeed be clear, but on a wildly different point than the one they were actually asked about. (Then again, most of the dictionary can serve that purpose...)
    When someone says an opinion is "problematic"
    Are you one of those arch-linguistic-conservatives that yearns for the days it could only mean "uncertain"?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I correspond with a colleague in another office by email on a regular basis. He absolutely positively has to use the word ‘heretoforewith’ in every single email he sends regardless of how short or long the email is and will refer back to previous emails in order to be able to use it even when the previous email is embodied in the ones he’s sending.

I correspond with a colleague by email in another office on a regular basis. He absolutely positively has to use the word ‘heretoforewith’ in every single email he sends.

I'm using my Scrabble challenge on that "word"!

Is this a joke that's outstayed its welcome? Or is he serious?

And a more pressing question is, is be on boards, and going to splutter into his coffee when he sees this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Don't mind when it's written but it use to annoy me when a fella I use to work with would always say "thanking you." Just say thanks!

• Advertisement

Problematic, basically and cis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

From the get go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

I’ll get my coat.
    Whatiffery.
    Whataboutery.

It's a no brainer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

alaimacerc wrote: »
    I'm using my Scrabble challenge on that "word"!

Is this a joke that's outstayed its welcome? Or is he serious?

And a more pressing question is, is be on boards, and going to splutter into his coffee when he sees this?

No it’s not a joke, the person doesn’t do jokes. I wouldn’t think he’s on boards but if he is then ‘hey Andrew!!’

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Sac O Spuds

Now don't get me wrong.

Jesus I hate that phrase. A very opinionated woman I know uses it when she disagrees with me on some issue and next thing I know she's off on a tirade. Invisible earmuff time.

I’ll get my coat.
    Whatiffery.
    Whataboutery.

Don't think I've ever heard "whatiffery"! But as I use the other two incessantly, I suppose I'd better adopt it ASAP...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Or on occasion, to indeed be clear, but on a wildly different point than the one they were actually asked about. (Then again, most of the dictionary can serve that purpose...)

Are you one of those arch-linguistic-conservatives that yearns for the days it could only mean "uncertain"?

Absolutely

When presented with a meal, being told to "enjoy".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭CFlat

Would you ever fuc k off with your 'strawman argument'.

Advertisement