Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Hector : Wind Warning :Weds 13 PM to Thurs 14th AM

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Not really, the marine forecasts are valid for sea conditions and focused on Marine traffic. By all means if you for some reason think they're valid to you use them, but don't spread misinformation.

I dont see how its spreading misinformation.

Maritime conditions can impact people on the land, not just people on boats/ships.

An example of how sea conditions can impact land- (Not a apocalyptic prediction of damage today)

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/07/27/13/2AE029E700000578-0-image-a-30_1438000776749.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: Back on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

prinzeugen wrote: »
    I dont see how its spreading misinformation.

Maritime conditions can impact people on the land, not just people on boats/ships.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/07/27/13/2AE029E700000578-0-image-a-30_1438000776749.jpg

We're talking about landbased impacts, if there was such a risk of coastal flooding it would be highlighted in the forecast, not in the marine warning. Such a photo from the daily mail is entirely OTT, this isn't apocalyptic.

It simply hypes up the forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Wind blowing at an average of 11kts with gusts of 19kts, while quite insignificant it seems rather windy compared with the benign weather we've received over the last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Malayalam wrote: »
    Oh, Shyte! :( Shyte, shyte, shyte. My poor lovely tall sunflowers that I have grown from seed. :( And everything else!!!....SHYTE!!!!!!!! :mad:

But at least it's not too hot
    In summer
    Hate that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Malayalam

km79 wrote: »
    But at least it's not too hot
    In summer
    Hate that

No. I adore hot summer weather. I'm weird like that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Not really, the marine forecasts are valid for sea conditions and focused on Marine traffic. By all means if you for some reason think they're valid to you use them, but don't spread misinformation.

I have friends living on Inishboffin and they tell me that when Marine warnings are issued in the Sea Areas forecast they find that the wind is way stronger on the Islands than the Mainland as they are further out at sea so it definitely affects them more than the mainland forecast. So I agree with Grace on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Marine forecasts are valid for "coastal waters". This would include offshore islands. Grace is on an offshore island so it's unfair to have a go at her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

pauldry wrote: »
    Raining again in Sligo after over 3 weeks mainly dry

Could be 30mm from this

Raining in Nth Sligo since about 7am.
    Can't believe I'm glad see it! Plants in desperate need of rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

453278.JPG

Updated Wind Warnings from Met Eireann

Status Orange - Wind warning for Donegal, Galway, Mayo and Sligo

On Wednesday evening and night and for a time on Thursday morning, south to southwest winds veering westerly, associated with Storm Hector, will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80 km/hr with gusts of 110 to 125 km/hr. Winds will be strongest in coastal areas.
    Issued: Wednesday 13 June 2018 08:00
    Valid from Wednesday 13 June 2018 21:00 to Thursday 14 June 2018 10:00
    Status Yellow - Wind warning for Cavan, Monaghan, Leitrim, Roscommon, Clare and Kerry

On Wednesday evening and night and for a time on Thursday morning, south to southwest winds veering westerly, associated with Storm Hector, will reach mean speeds of 55 to 65 km/hr with gusts of 90 to 110 km/hr.
    Issued: Wednesday 13 June 2018 08:17

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

Unless you live on a boat then the Marine forecast is not for you!

Focus on the civilian forecast.

Graces7 lives on an island offshore Mayo. I think civilians live there. And let's not forget the Aran Islands.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Looking at the latest runs , Looks possible that more counties will have warnings ( Northern half of the country )and possibly an orange upgrade also for Kerry and especially Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

They are redefining and refining the forecast wondrously.so much skill

Wild already out here on the island. Love it! Rain beating on the windows.. After last winter ( I came here early September but had no ESB until January and no internet until I think March) I learned what the storms out here are like. Tidal waters on all sides and the ocean a field away from this dwelling.

Learned that the dwelling will take all gales. Made friends with the ocean weather.

Wind so strong that you cannot walk .. just marching on the spot !

Stay safe this day ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Now named Storm Hector by Met Eireann.

Link from the Met Office Twitter account though:

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1006852422638153734

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Blustery and wet in Castlebar, going to be an interesting night.

Xenji wrote: »
    Blustery and wet in Castlebar, going to be an interesting night.

Indeed yes! Rubs hands together!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Has gotten fairly breezy now here, havent really been following this apart from i knew we might get some rain, none today so far thankfully, but are we due to get some of the high winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A bit of a breeze here in Wexford,17c atm with a few spots of rain on the wind.
    With the storm being named Hector will the wind make sounds that appear to be Irish and Spanish and annoy a lot of people? :)

Getting very wild and loud and wet here.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭mobil 222

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'm in north Donegal and getting just a little bit excited about the next two days! :D

I t better be gone before my annual pilgrimage to Donegal for the rally.

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Wind whipping up a bit now (sadly I don't have any means to measure it), from the south/east and weirdly warm and damp. Freaky! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Wind whipping up a bit now (sadly I don't have any means to measure it), from the south/east and weirdly warm and damp. Freaky! :eek:

I have a solution but it involves a high vantage point and a full bladder :D

Probably not an option

ICON was slow to pick up on this, now showing very strong winds and further South than the other models on the latest 12z and looking very strong in the North later.

Just see that Met Eireann have included more counties in the Yellow warning.

tempresult_vbq1.gif

Hirlam showing the strongest winds further up the country in the W, NW and N

tempresult_djc8.gif

Met Eireann

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Dublin, Kildare, Longford, Louth, Offaly, Westmeath, Meath, Cavan, Monaghan, Leitrim, Roscommon, Clare and Kerry
    Southwest to west winds, later veering westerly, associated with Storm Hector, will reach mean speeds of 55 to 65 km/hr with gusts of 90 to 110 km/hr. Over Leinster winds will be strongest between 0200 and 0900.

Issued: Wednesday 13 June 2018 16:00

OGp3DXK.png

The latest runs out. APERGE just coming out but would suggest Clare should go under an Orange warning ( very close to it either way).

GFS 12Z

tempresult_crx5.gif

tempresult_ris6.gif

Nasty ..

"High spring tides are likely to coincide with the strongest winds leading to a risk of coastal flooding and wave overtopping." for Donegal, Mayo, Galway, Sligo.

Safe here thankfully afaik. Must ask if there has ever been flooding but none in last winter..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Drizzle with attitude here giving rates between 1.5 & 3.5mm/h all afternoon. Thirsty plants and trees and soil will greatly appreciate it though. 14.0c / 96rh. Gentle breeze.

New Moon

ECM 0Z 850 hPa Wind speeds.

Wonder if we could hit by a sting jet somewhere in the W. NW or N in the early hours ?

ECU4-24_yys8.GIF

lcHMEt5.png

HThDLrN.png

exfsNas.png

ARPEGE 12Z taking a route more WSW to ENE with the strongest winds .

tempresult_xfh0.gif

arpegeuk-52-22-0_gyw4.png

• Advertisement

Advertisement