Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Seven million plus for the women's world Cup.

If they want to go large in the virtue signalling stakes, don't expect the tax payer to front up
    Oh dear. Yes I see what you mean.

Now why they could not cover some key matches etc bring the price down i don't know. Maybe the rights came as a package deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

The constant pushing of the PC Left Liberal agenda is much more obvious at RTE

There should be no pushing of agendas whether it is a wellmeaning but preachy liberal left, some odious so-called 'rightwing' Katie Hopkins agenda or whatever. TV should be factual with its news and entertaining with its other programmes. RTE are all about agendas and controversy and nothing else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Seven million plus for the women's world Cup.

If they want to go large in the virtue signalling stakes, don't expect the tax payer to front up
    WTF, many people were saying the only reason they showed it was because it was dirt cheap rights! 7 MILLION AND NOBODY WATCHES IT :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

WTF, many people were saying the only reason they showed it was because it was dirt cheap rights! 7 MILLION AND NOBODY WATCHES IT :(

With suicidal business decisions like this little wonder RTE is never out of financial trouble. The tv license should be scrapped, it’s really not warranted in this day and age

That was what I heard as well.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

road_high wrote: »
    With suicidal business decisions like this little wonder RTE is never out of financial trouble. The tv license should be scrapped, it’s really not warranted in this day and age
    That was what I heard as well.

They should be forced to justify their decisions. Coming crying for more money from taxpayers when you're pissing 7 milllion down the drain on the Womens World Cup, 5 million on 2fm, and obscene wages for Ray D'Arcy and Finucane.

Theres the 13 million deficit fixed from the above alone! They just want an unlimited cheque book!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,408 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The BBC are showing it. RTE take all of their cues from the beeb.

Talking of virtue signalling,barely a man left on 2FM or the news.

They should be forced to justify their decisions. Coming crying for more money from taxpayers when you're pissing 7 milllion down the drain on the Womens World Cup, 5 million on 2fm, and obscene wages for Ray D'Arcy and Finucane.

Theres the 13 million deficit fixed from the above alone! They just want an unlimited cheque book!
    Also popes visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

7 milllion down the drain on the Womens World Cup,

They are actually talking about the Men's World Cup and a number of other events (referendum, pope, presidential election).

IMO Women's Soccer is a public service and both RTÉ and TG4 were right to show it, it should have been shown in 2015, AFAIK they hold the rights through their deal with the EBU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

Also popes visit.

The Pope's visit was one of those weird examples where the state went into 1950s mode. The government spent an absolute fortune on over scaled facilities and planning based on attendendes in 1979 when Ireland was basically an entirely different country.

RTE were put in the damned if then do or damned if they don't position but they also grossly overestimated the significance and public engagement with the event and wasted a lot of resources.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

kneemos wrote: »

What station and when? Monday and Tuesday this week 4,30 - 10,30 rte 2. I can’t see it advertised on bbc. I watch bbc fairly often and never saw it mentioned bar an odd news clip. As for the other stations, the cricket World Cup is getting more coverage.

joeysoap wrote: »
    What station and when? Monday and Tuesday this week 4,30 - 10,30 rte 2. I can’t see it advertised on bbc. I watch bbc fairly often and never saw it mentioned bar an odd news clip. As for the other stations, the cricket World Cup is getting more coverage.

Maybe it's not on some of the regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

In the irish independent today, seven million plus

Then again even it cost seventy million, no one would dare criticise publically, such is the level of sacredness around an event like this

Elmo wrote: »
    They are actually talking about the Men's World Cup and a number of other events (referendum, pope, presidential election).

IMO Women's Soccer is a public service and both RTÉ and TG4 were right to show it, it should have been shown in 2015, AFAIK they hold the rights through their deal with the EBU.

Where did you get it's the men's world cup and several other events?
    Or are you making crap up?

Do you in fact work for RTE?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Some smart arse always comes out with this crap.

No TV licence=no fine=no jail. I fecking hate this argument.

Dont you dare call Ryan Turbridy a "smart arse"

Where did you get it's the men's world cup and several other events?
    Or are you making crap up?

Do you in fact work for RTE?

It's in the Annual Report from 2018, Dee Forbes statement on the 7.2 million is based around RTÉ coverage of The World Cup 2018, The Pope's Visit, The Referendum and The Presidential Election.

In the 2019 Annual Report RTÉ will happily blame the Women's World Cup even though they were only showing half of it, and also the Local and European Elections. Just as they blamed 1916 celebrations for their losses in their 2016 Annual Report.

Lets hope we don't have a general election before the end of the year because that would cause RTÉ to blame that also.

Trust me if I did, I wouldn't be spending 24million on imported programming, that no one is watching and that everyone can get from other sources.

Sure wrt all these World Cups (men's and women's soccer and rugby coming up), the Olympics and the Eurovision, the entourage sent out there is not needed. It is very clear where all the money goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

RTE is meant to be a public service broadcaster. They need to do more stuff like the show last night exposing the vermin involved in the Greyhound industry and less Fair City, dancing on snow and repeats

BBC have being showing since 2007
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48064212

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_FIFA_Women%27s_World_Cup_broadcasters#United_Kingdom

All games were shown Via Red Button, BBC ONE, TWO and FOUR and on their iPlayer.

Let's say if RTE lowered the salaries of its so-called 'stars' and 100% got rid of drivel they make such as Wingman and Ireland's Fittest Family. No one would miss that drivel and lots of money would be saved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Maybe it's not on some of the regions.

Yes, that explains it. I watch BBC free view as I live in a border area. It’s not on BBC NI.

BBC have being showing since 2007
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48064212

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_FIFA_Women%27s_World_Cup_broadcasters#United_Kingdom

All games were shown Via Red Button, BBC ONE, TWO and FOUR and on their iPlayer.

Maybe the red button but not the other channels on Freeview ( which Saorview picks up and seems to allocate a random channel number to ie UTV = channel 296 on Saorview, 102 not through Saorview (hard drive recorder).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Let's say if RTE lowered the salaries of its so-called 'stars' and 100% got rid of drivel they make such as Wingman and Ireland's Fittest Family. No one would miss that drivel and lots of money would be saved.

That there aren't that many "stars" so the amount saved wouldn't be enough to make a hole in the deficit.

You would also have the problem of who would present the shows. I'd imagine a kind of amateur hour standard of presenting would make RTE even more unappealing.

As for the drivel stuff, that is all over the other networks too. I just ignore it myself no matter where I encounter it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Bbc1, 2 and 4 have been showing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The whole concept of RTE is hopelessly outdated in today's digital age.

I have to pay €160 every year for a service that is a disgrace - in 2018 the only program I watched was the Toy Show, on the RTE player, with the kids and it was a load of ****e.

I'm happy to fund some form of public service broadcasting but this could easily be achieved with one new/current affairs channel and a single radio station. Get rid of 2Fm and TG4 completely. Dump half the 'Stars and let them sell their wares to the private sector and slash the salaries of those who remain - offer them a trip to commercial reality if they kick up.

Maximum of €50 for the new TV license should be plenty to fund a quality news tv and radio station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

RTE should be in front of the PAC for how it burns money.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,520 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

But, one thing for sure, is that while the UK and indeed US channels have the same reality trash, the dramas are higher caliber. Compare:

US: Breaking Bad, The Handmaid's Tale, The Sopranos, Game of Thrones, etc.
    UK: Peaky Blinders, McMafia, etc.
    Ireland: Striking Out, Taken Down, Finding Joy, etc.

Bit nonsensical comparing the likes of HBO with RTE.

Game of Thrones was $15m an episode.

BBC have way higher budgets too, around 5 billion.

RTE needs to be attacked with a chainsaw, but it's silly trying to compare with massive media outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It's in the Annual Report from 2018, Dee Forbes statement on the 7.2 million is based around RTÉ coverage of The World Cup 2018, The Pope's Visit, The Referendum and The Presidential Election.

In the 2019 Annual Report RTÉ will happily blame the Women's World Cup even though they were only showing half of it, and also the Local and European Elections. Just as they blamed 1916 celebrations for their losses in their 2016 Annual Report.

Lets hope we don't have a general election before the end of the year because that would cause RTÉ to blame that also.

Trust me if I did, I wouldn't be spending 24million on imported programming, that no one is watching and that everyone can get from other sources.
    Rte will always blame exceptional events for it's over runs but there is nothing exceptional about them. There are big events every year. World cups are on a regular schedule, 1916 commemoration was being planned for two or three years.

Blaming these events it's just a way of deflecting attention away from the real cost centres. There's a cohort of people employed within RTE on great contracts and they can't get rid of them. Add in the obscene money they pay for "talent" and you can see why they have a deficit.

RTE needs to cut it's cloth to it's measure. Drop the big names. Get it's wages under control. Stop eating money on big productions that add nothing culture wise to the state (e.g.dancing with the Stars).

Rte will always blame exceptional events for it's over runs but there is nothing exceptional about them. There are big events every year. World cups are on a regular schedule, 1916 commemoration was being planned for two or three years.

Blaming these events it's just a way of deflecting attention away from the real cost centres. There's a cohort of people employed within RTE on great contracts and they can't get rid of them. Add in the obscene money they pay for "talent" and you can see why they have a deficit.

RTE needs to cut it's cloth to it's measure. Drop the big names. Get it's wages under control. Stop eating money on big productions that add nothing culture wise to the state (e.g.dancing with the Stars).

Yeah but it worked for them, I don't think one media outlet pointed to the 24m cost for imported programmes.

None of these events are unknown, RTÉ have 4 years to get ready for for WCs and the Olympics etc, 5 years for Local Election and General elections and even if a Presidental election doesn't occur you make sure you get ready for it just in case.

Blaming special events is not the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

RTE is meant to be a public service broadcaster. They need to do more stuff like the show last night exposing the vermin involved in the Greyhound industry and less Fair City, dancing on snow and repeats
    Still feel sick watching the last few minutes of that documentary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Like screening the women's football world cup with Ireland absent yet ignoring last months's world darts final, Republic of Ireland vs Scotland.

Advertisement