Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

the football (soccer) is pretty much a dead weight so nobody really wants it...

The World Cup is beating GAA in the ratings so far and Ireland in Euro 2016 dominated the TV ratings for 2016:

Elmo wrote: »
    1 The Late Late Toy Show RTÉ One 1571.6 76.18
    2 UEFA EURO 2016 Live - Live Play - 26/06/2016 - France v Rep of Ireland RTÉ2 1262.4 82.46
    3 UEFA EURO 2016 Live - Live Play - Italy v Rep Of Ireland RTÉ2 1231.3 71.88
    4 UEFA EURO 2016 Live - Live Play - Rep Of Ireland v Sweden RTÉ2 1082.8 70.72
    5 The Sunday Game Live (All-Ireland Football Final) RTÉ One 927.8 68.77
    6 UEFA EURO 2016 Live - Live Play - Belgium v Rep Of Ireland RTÉ2 925.1 77.94
    7 The Saturday Game Live (All-Ireland Football Final Replay) RTÉ2 843.5 62.57
    8 The Sunday Game Live (All-Ireland Hurling Final) RTÉ One 785.5 65.44
    9 UEFA EURO 2016 Live - Live Play - 10/07/2016 - Portugal v France (Final) RTÉ2 782.8 45.03
    10 UEFA EURO 2016 Live - Live Play - 06/07/2016 - Portugal v Wales (Semi-Final) RTÉ2 725 47.93
    11 RTÉ News: Nine O'Clock RTÉ One 721.4 45.69
    12 Rebellion RTÉ One 713 42.29
    13 Mrs Brown's Boys: Mammy's Forest RTÉ One 706.6 38.84
    14 Guinness Series Live - Ireland v New Zealand RTÉ2 683 48.38
    15 Mrs Brown's Boys: Chez Mammy RTÉ One 680.3 42.87
    16 Room To Improve RTÉ One 679.1 44.11
    17 The Late Late Show RTÉ One 678.8 47.35
    18 RBS 6 Nations - Live - France v Ireland RTÉ2 672.5 58.92
    19 RBS 6 Nations - Live - England v Ireland RTÉ2 630.8 47.36
    20 Mrs Brown's Boys Live RTÉ One 630.6 45.81

No TV3 channels.

...it won't be too long until RTE loses the GAA, and then the All-Ireland Finals. And they'll have nobody to blame but themselves.

The All-Ireland Finals are protected event and must be broadcast over free-to-air.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

The World Cup is beating GAA in the ratings so far and Ireland in Euro 2016 dominated the TV ratings for 2016:

I meant the Irish games-Martin O'Neill's team, or Roy Keane's side job when he's not mocking the English team.

Those games don't get anywhere near the audience they used to.
    ...it won't be too long until RTE loses the GAA, and then the All-Ireland Finals. And they'll have nobody to blame but themselves.

The All-Ireland Finals are protected event and must be broadcast over free-to-air.

And have met some serious opposition from the likes of Sky and so on. If pressure was mounted, I'd imagine they wouldn't be long being on a pay service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/revenue-could-be-tasked-with-collecting-tv-licence-under-new-outsourcing-plans-37119912.html

Revenue or an outsourced contractor being considered for license fee collection. It's outsourced in the UK and they have non payment at about half the rate we do, roughly 7% vs 14%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/revenue-could-be-tasked-with-collecting-tv-licence-under-new-outsourcing-plans-37119912.html

Revenue or an outsourced contractor being considered for license fee collection. It's outsourced in the UK and they have non payment at about half the rate we do, roughly 7% vs 14%

This is the best bit:

"as well as suggesting the expansion of the terms of the licence to include online streaming services such as Netflix."

Let's charge people for a service we don't provide

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

sexmag wrote: »
    This is the best bit:

"as well as suggesting the expansion of the terms of the licence to include online streaming services such as Netflix."

Probably more they are charging for access to the RTE Player....but they needed to list a streaming platform people actually use to get the point across!

If they do go ahead they may just relabel it the Internet Tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Probably more they are charging for access to the RTE Player....but they needed to list a streaming platform people actually use to get the point across!

If they do go ahead they may just relabel it the Internet Tax.

The technology exists today for RTE to charge for access to streaming media. All they need to do is have their userbase register the devices in each household that want to access streaming media from rte and agree a pricing plan. Through the pricing plans they can deliver add free content or if the users want the cheap rate they can subsidise the service by advertising.

The constant demands for more taxation for public service television is really a smokescreen for a government sponsored enterprise that has lost its way and knows that the content it produces is sub-par while it's overheads (the pensions) are much too high. It the orchestra bothers then that much they can hive it off to the department of Arts, Culture and foreign languages. People will pay for good content delivered to them at a convenient time and the price signals will also indicate what their market wants from them which is alien to a top down organisation like RTE and the vested interests that it supports.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,821 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

CrankyHaus wrote: »

Revenue might like this as they get a list of names & addresses to compare to their records.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,112 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Surprised they don't want to introduce a per MB download charge for each household.

M

sexmag wrote: »
    This is the best bit:

Talk about wanting to shoot themselves in the foot, Netflix could then argue that if the bulk of households spend 25% of their time watching Netflix they are entitled to 25% of the licence fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Discodog wrote: »
    Revenue might like this as they get a list of names & addresses to compare to their records.

Something wrong with that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Surprised they don't want to introduce a per MB download charge for each household.

Careful. They might be reading this. They might actually try this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

How would the tech MNCs we fete feel about an internet tax?

Even if we just call it a broadcast charge it is a tax on the use of their platforms to prop up state owned TV and radio.
    Maybe they won't care as Ireland is a tiny market but I could imagine them being distinctly uncomfortable at the idea. Particularly with the libertarian bent so prevalent in tech. The MNCs may keep schtum to not rock the low tax boat but I could see Ireland at a minimum being viewed disfavourably by the tech industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,242 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

It would basically be an Internet tax and propositions haven't gone down well in the past for other countries
    All the ISP's should object to it, UPC already fought the pirate bay blocking

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It’s Sunday night 8pm-9pm slot!! Prime time slot I’d say.

And what’s on RTÉ1? A repeat of Room to Improve!!

Who’s licence is up this month?? €160 please.

It’s Sunday night 8pm-9pm slot!! Prime time slot I’d say.

And what’s on RTÉ1? A repeat of Room to Improve!!

Who’s licence is up this month?? €160 please.

What a difference a few years makes or not

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-reviews/pat-stacey-rte-is-showing-20-repeats-today-why-are-we-paying-160-a-year-for-this-31428735.html

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/viewers-can-kiss-goodbye-to-new-rte-shows-on-this-summer-of-repeats-3z80cvjn7

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Ladyinthedark

There going to take it from tax I think

kneemos wrote: »
    Summer time,they just don't bother.
    I think the excuse is most people are out and about and not watching telly...?

While it may be Summer still no excuse - what is the money being spent on, it's not like they are producing top quality entertainment the rest of the year where they still repeat loads of shows (some of which never get that many viewers to start with)
    Just makes more for a PPV model

M

Tomorrow night RTE2 are showing a repeat of Scorchio at 9pm, meanwhile at 01:15am is the first showing in Ireland of Hawaii Five-0, the mind boggles.

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    Summer time,they just don't bother.
    I think the excuse is most people are out and about and not watching telly...?

This excuse would fly this summer, because the weather has been exceptional--but what about the other summer 'washouts' where programming was a f***ing disaster and people were stuck in cos of rain?

There's no 'Miriam' chatshow-thank God-but there's nothing in its stead. Tv3 is all repeats (the damn television awards were repeated one night, who the hell wants that?) and nothing much else.

We keep hearing all the ways RTE will 'make money'-but they're not spending it on their programming. I know someone who interred at RTE, and the set is all mouse traps, and leaking roofs. That's embarrassing for a national broadcaster.

Now Dee Forbes is talking about bringing in the revenue to collect the tv license? Fer gawds sake.

Tomorrow night RTE2 are showing a repeat of Scorchio at 9pm, meanwhile at 01:15am is the first showing in Ireland of Hawaii Five-0, the mind boggles.

Yeah, RTE spend a lot on tv shows that don't catch on over here. H-FO is one of em, Mad Men was another.

Scorchio? I had to think for a minute what that was, and then remembered... did anyone actually watch that?
    I know my brother did when was working night shifts, but that was generally the few people I know who did.

I tried watching one episode, and found a total mess on display.

RTE love to pump out crap tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Yeah, RTE spend a lot on tv shows that don't catch on over here. H-FO is one of em, Mad Men was another.

Scorchio? I had to think for a minute what that was, and then remembered... did anyone actually watch that?
    I know my brother did when was working night shifts, but that was generally the few people I know who did.

Cough Alison spittle

M

Yes watched them, they were pretty poor, basically Naked Camera on Costa Del Sol talking to Irish tourists.

Yes watched them, they were pretty poor, basically Naked Camera on Costa Del Sol talking to Irish tourists.

Naked Camera had some funny moments-I didn't even smirk at Scorchio. I think it was because the actors had no comic timing at all.
    Cough Alison spittle

She's living proof it's not what you know, it's who you know. James Kavanagh is another one-no talent whatsoever, but promoted himself via social media, and with Al Porter's 'proclivities', was able to find a slot to get himself noticed.
    Now he's got himself a job on tv3.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,644 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

There going to take it from tax I think

Its a dangerous move by RTE as they will then be fully accountable to any number of dail committees regards spending.

Also makes it far easier to gut RTE in an effort to win votes as it then can really become an election issue, which we all are hopeful actually happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

So, it turns out it cost RTE €300,000 to take part in the Eurovision this year.

That's 1,875 licence fees.

Well worth it.

Chewbacca wrote: »

Well worth it.

Well, tbf, that was a discount-it cost more to send Nicky Byrne for his one appearance at the semi-finals

Ireland performed twice, as in two nights, so the cost there was about €150 000 for two nights.

Nicky Byrne cost almost €340 000 for his flatlined failure, and that was a solo appearance. And please God, we never hear that f**king Nicky song again.

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/figures-reveal-that-rte-spent-a-staggering-amount-on-nicky-byrnes-failed-eurovision-bid-35529057.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Chewbacca wrote: »

Well worth it.

Ireland's better off staying at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Don't say if they make a net loss or profit out of the Eurovision,they certainly get some or all of the three hundred thousand back.

Don't see why it falls to RTE to pay for it anyway.

Advertisement