Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youtube.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I don't think it needs sound the death knell for good work though. Simply offer it online on various platforms. Either way nowadays, people can record and watch programs at a more convenient time, so what's the difference ?

Other than people "accidentally" watching something before or after the one TV program they were interested in.
    The accidental dimension can still happen if you're on the platform and you glimpse something else that looks interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

The best thing to come out of RTE was reeling in the years, the rest is garbage.

and Nationwide :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

kneemos wrote: »
    Sad day for journalism in fairness. RTE have done some fantastic stuff in recent years.
    Not in terms of return for investment. €160 per year per household. Scale it back and have a public broadcasting service for €20.

9or10 wrote: »
    and Nationwide :D

The local, small scale programs are the ones I'd miss the most. They're the ones hard to come by if you watch online. The Irish TV had some local programs like that by counties too didn't it ?
    Ear to the Ground has that quality too.

I guess it's up to RTE & co to have the wherewithal to provide more local scale or local interest stuff, instead of paying empty money for empty programs that can be watched elsewhere anyway.

What can I not watch on RTE, that I get from people's crappy phone videos on Facebook ? Give me bits of that in locally targetted programs then.

Like, kids matches, some gig in a pub, the local charity/talent show, the local tractor run, the summer festival ... something about a crime at small scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Not in terms of return for investment. €160 per year per household. Scale it back and have a public broadcasting service for €20.

The only ones with the money left to do any sort of investigative journalism.The output is crap but they do have their moments in that regard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

The only ones with the money left to do any sort of investigative journalism.The output is crap but they do have their moments in that regard.

I accept that point given the impact of the investigative programme they ran during the week. I didn't see it but am aware that it forced the government's hand to speed up opening of health services. Is a good platform for such issues. But those are what it should be focused on. The purchase of programmes originating outside of the state seems pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭satguy

If you have good internet speed, and maybe a Netflix sub, then the big TV in the corner is only for news and the odd match..

I use a 40 inch 1080p TV as my PC Monitor, and have the best of both worlds, and the wife can watch all the soaps as long as she stays downstairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

I like hard work, gives me a sense of meaning and achievement. Meanwhile, YouTube won't be there in a few decades to support this lot.

And your dignity is intact with the day job too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

After having to listen to my two kids on (the kid version of) of YT, I can safely say that if I ever meet Dan TDM, I will rip his larynx out with my bare f&cking hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Pewdiepie popped up in my recommended list recently so I had a look after years of defiantly avoided all that shíte.
    Now that he's set for life he seems to have toned down the nonsense and is making the odd existential video about the tropes of youtubers and how having to conform to that started to get to him in the end.

Saw another interesting vid explaining how these people cleverly manipulate young viewers into sub'ing and staying with them through the use of fast cut editing, shifting perspective, loud obnoxious speaking volume interspersed with quiet moments. It's essentially the same as a baby's mobile, never let them get bored for a moment, keep the attention on you with as much flashing lights and noises as possible. The Jackseptic eye guy must need to pop a box a parcetamol and go lie down in a dark room after listening to himself all day, then having to edit it!

Weird phenomenon but it is what is it. Personally, can't stand the FIFA idiots bragging about their lambo's etc. Don't begrudge them at all, they were smart enough to see the opening and took it. But when you see young lads that self absorbed, living like monte carlo playboys off the back of recording themselves opening packs on Fifa, then think about all the people in society who do important work for very little pay, it's just deeply sickening imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

If its so easy and these lads are getting money from nothing, why dont you try OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Doesn't seem very profitable,as a hobby fair enough,but as an income?? How many videos even get 10,000 views.

You'd be surprised how many people make money off it. Forget about the heavyweights like pewdiepie and others. But a lot of people actually make a living from there. It's not easy but YouTube is such a large beast of a website with so many genres of videos.

But a lot of people make the mistake of looking at the cpm ($1.50 per 1000 views) and think a channel does not make money while it actually does.

Most people make money from having a library of videos. Say 100 videos you created over 3 years. Not to mention patreon these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

silverharp wrote: »
    Ive noticed that with my son he doesnt watch TV , I need to have a movie night just to watch the odd movie. TV stations are fcked in the future unless there will be lots of money in chairlift adverts. Frankly Im looking forward to when they pull the plug on outfits like RTE and the Irish Times.

What?!?! :confused:

Wanting RTE out is weird enough but the Irish Times? It's the only newspaper of quality in the country. We need quality reporting now more than ever with the rise of the far right and fake news.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Prefer the crazy Russian hacker / Tarus Kul as he has two channels, the greedy git

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭satguy

There are 4 ways to earn money from a video you post to Youtube.

1. The vid has a pre roll ad, visitors watch the ad and you earn about $1.50 per 1000 views (Tech stuff slightly more)

2. Your vid is an old vid maybe posted last year, but it is ranked highly by YT and turns up high on page search results. (if you have 200 old vids they can still earn alot, if YT see them as having value.)

3. You are also signed up as an affiliate to somewhere like Amazon, so you post some affiliate links in the comments under your vid. ( Amazon pay very well, you start off at 3% and if you reach your target are moved to 7%)

4. Someone asks you to do a review of one of their products. ( Mostly only Big Youtubers)

Some of the big Tech youtubers can earn more from affiliate links than what YT might pay them for ads..

Most youtubers have a website also that feeds visitors to view their vids, its a good way to send more eyeballs to your channel.

My son ownes http://www.teknoshark.com/

Teens these days know all the tricks..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

They do make money no doubt about that but it must get tiring making those videos. Having to act excited about everything you're unboxing or playing at all times practically too. I like jacksepticeye though. He seems natural on YouTube. They have to upgrade cameras and microphones every once and a while also. A lot have multiple screens too for their videos depending on what they're doing.

KKkitty wrote: »
    They do make money no doubt about that but it must get tiring making those videos. Having to act excited about everything you're unboxing or playing at all times practically too. I like jacksepticeye though. He seems natural on YouTube. They have to upgrade cameras and microphones every once and a while also. A lot have multiple screens too for their videos depending on what they're doing.

Yeah it's a real job I'd say.
    Planning, preparation, scripting to an extent, acting/performing, then editing and publishing.

These guys who make money treat it as a proper job, and along with a bit of talent, manage to make a career out of it. Good for them. They created a job, and it's successful because there's a demand for the performances. I don't see how they can be begrudged.

They're just like the boy/girlbands of yesteryear.

I'm in my 40s, but I love Rhett and Link and the Good Mythical Morning shows :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Yeah it's a real job I'd say.
    Planning, preparation, scripting to an extent, acting/performing, then editing and publishing.

These guys who make money treat it as a proper job, and along with a bit of talent, manage to make a career out of it. Good for them. They created a job, and it's successful because there's a demand for the performances. I don't see how they can be begrudged.

They're just like the boy/girlbands of yesteryear.

I'm in my 40s, but I love Rhett and Link and the Good Mythical Morning shows :D

A fellow Irish Mythical Beast!! I love it :) Their shows are quite good. They're not afraid to try stuff out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Agricola wrote: »
    Weird phenomenon but it is what is it. Personally, can't stand the FIFA idiots bragging about their lambo's etc. Don't begrudge them at all, they were smart enough to see the opening and took it. But when you see young lads that self absorbed, living like monte carlo playboys off the back of recording themselves opening packs on Fifa, then think about all the people in society who do important work for very little pay, it's just deeply sickening imo.

Luck of the dice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,565 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Prank vids use to be cool on youtube, but now the people who use to make good vids have so much money coming in that they make crap vids, it doesn't matter as everyone clicks on the crap vid to see how good it is, so they still get the views due to their reputation.
    I think we all know someone we could use to set up a successful channel with.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,565 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

This guy makes money from his grandpa .

There's one guy who made prank videos (and quite successfully) who came out in a video saying all prank videos are fixed/fake.

.... Like we wouldn't have known that if he didn't :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Pewdiepie popped up in my recommended list recently so I had a look after years of defiantly avoided all that shíte.
    Now that he's set for life he seems to have toned down the nonsense and is making the odd existential video about the tropes of youtubers and how having to conform to that started to get to him in the end.

Toned down the nonsense?

In the past few days/weeks he's had videos with captions about giving girls AIDS, "Why I don't play videogames anymore", "I will delete my channel when I reach 50mill", "Pewdiepie is a racist?", Pewdiepie is anti-Semitic? (by paying people to hold up such a banner).... then he goes and explains how it's actually not offensive at all and he's actually quite a cool and funny guy. And it's not overly sensitive people getting upset, it's just that he's doing all these things for attention. Putting guns in his videos. If anything he's been getting worse, with the most clickbait of all lately.
    Saw another interesting vid explaining how these people cleverly manipulate young viewers into sub'ing and staying with them through the use of fast cut editing, shifting perspective, loud obnoxious speaking volume interspersed with quiet moments. It's essentially the same as a baby's mobile, never let them get bored for a moment, keep the attention on you with as much flashing lights and noises as possible.

Are you talking about the one on forced positivity? I agree that was good, it's not like he's real himself. What people don't understand is that when you get that big on youtube and it becomes that much of a job, it's gets to be all formula for views. There's no humanity behind what he does, it's all robot-like analysis and calculation, all to get views.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

silverharp wrote: »
    Ive noticed that with my son he doesnt watch TV , I need to have a movie night just to watch the odd movie. TV stations are fcked in the future unless there will be lots of money in chairlift adverts. Frankly Im looking forward to when they pull the plug on outfits like RTE and the Irish Times.

Television channels produce good, quality tv along with bad stuff. Some American, some Irish. They don't produce nearly all garbage. I don't know what you could be thinking of to say that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

I know several people now who are making their living from You Tube. I think it is a fantastic thing. People making money from sharing their hobbies and interests. One of the most positive developments in the Internet economy ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

KKkitty wrote: »
    A fellow Irish Mythical Beast!! I love it :) Their shows are quite good. They're not afraid to try stuff out.
    I introduced my mother to GMM and she loves it, even bought her one of their mugs for Christmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    I know several people now who are making their living from You Tube. I think it is a fantastic thing. People making money from sharing their hobbies and interests. One of the most positive developments in the Internet economy ever.

I guess I never really thought about it but it is excellent for artists (of all descriptions). It can be hard to make a living from your work.

I used to watch videos about vaping to learn how to make coils and such. There's a lot of great instructional vidoes for all types of things, which is brilliant too.

When people do it well, it's a good thing.

Just been looking at http://www.socialblade.com there and quite a number of small channels I watch are making a decent buck. Good on them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Luck of the dice

See what you did there. :P

Advertisement