Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Senator Lynn Ruane Wants to Ban Comments on Articles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

yoppy wrote: »
    You're just rehashing your version of what people say about YouTube commenters, you haven't a clue.

Isn't there a monster truck fight video you should be off commenting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

RobertKK wrote: »
    Una Mullally yesterday wrote an article that the Irish Times should have censorship of opinions that she didn't share.

Not quiet. She argued that the paper shouldn't give a platform for Neo-Nazi's to disseminate their views, after the paper had given Neo-Nazi's a platform to disseminate their views.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Lol. Why? Head of an SU running for Seanad doesn't scream either to me. Well, self-interested cop on aside.

She's a fellow outsider looking in, that ended up in Trinners as a mature student. She's not an indoctrinated, sheltered little Louise o Neil princess. She actually struggled, learned from her mistakes, turned her life around and made something of herself. She should be able to see the dysfunction that is there among the higher classes in this country, as many people who end up in D4 from somewhere else actually do.

Unfortunately, if it is self interest, she's picked the side that are now on the decline.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 250 ✭✭Clarebelly

Because people who comment on Youtube are dicks?

Yes......... all of them.

Meanwhile......
    Clarebelly wrote: »
    I can't count the amount of times I have gone searching for an answer to a technical query online only to find the real answer in the comments of an article or video pertaining to the subject.

listermint wrote: »
    So an echo chamber for trinity, great

The universtity (NUI and TCD) senators include Lynne Ruane, Michael McDowell, Ronan Mullen and David Norris.

Hardly an idelogical echo chamber :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭midnight city

Not quiet. She argued that the paper shouldn't give a platform for Neo-Nazi's to disseminate their views, after the paper had given Neo-Nazi's a platform to disseminate their views.

Did the article really do that? I think the likes of Una Mullally constantly berating men and particularly white men is worse than that alt right article. The only difference is Una gets to write her rubbish daily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Meanwhile......
    I can't count the amount of times I have gone searching for an answer to a technical query online only to find the real answer in the comments of an article pertaining to the subject.

It's not the same thing though is it. I too often find useful information from comments on technical articles and videos, but they're a world apart from comments on current affairs stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Wibbs wrote: »
    Stop the presses! Ex student union Right On type wants echo chamber! In other news; water is wet.

Gas how they're the exact opposite of right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭yoppy

Isn't there a monster truck fight video you should be off commenting on?

You think the way you do because someone wants you to think that way, you're on about incitement....Go and listen to a few Putin interviews, You probably won't as the mear mention of his name probably has a skewered opinion formed already and that's because the controlled media you consume has you that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

She argued that people who read the Irish Times need to be protected from themselves as if the same paper could not put across an argument to counteract the same said article.
    So there needed to be censorship.

We are in a world where people who want to read Neo-Nazi stuff can easily on the internet.
    Trying to hide it is just silly, and publishing and counteracting it with a well thought out argument is a more intelligent approach.
    Una just made out people who read the Irish Times are so stupid, and maybe she has a case, that the paper needs censorship because they are so gullible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

The article was a glossary of alt-right slang and not an extraordinarily accurate one at that, the snowflake definition in particular was at odds with how I've seen it used. I'm not sure what the fuss was about. The backlash against the article seems a tad hysterical.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's not the same thing though is it. I too often find useful information from comments on technical articles and videos, but they're a world apart from comments on current affairs stories.

So you never saw the likes of a link to an interesting associated video or article posted by a commentor on a current affairs story?

So should Una Mullaly's opinion piece itself have been censored them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

41 people click like on a tweet and you get that from it?

Sure. They believe that a politician should be able to ban Free speech on the Internet. That the proposed legislation is in any way valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Did the article really do that? I think the likes of Una Mullally constantly berating men and particularly white men is worse than that alt right article. The only difference is Una gets to write her rubbish daily.

Una is projecting, which makes this especially fùcking funny out. She's the racist/sexist/homophobic. As I predicted when Trump won: the left are losing so expect them to double down: using institutions/censorship (fake news) and mass groups of people to bully people/get what they want. That's exactly what Una is doing here. This is going to be a pretty fun year it must be said. :P

I'm not alt-right (especially since that gobshìte/useful idiot Richard Spenser got his name plastered everywhere) but that article was a good sum up of the whole thing beyond just white supremicist nazi evil tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

All of her pieces should be censored.

She's a fellow outsider looking in, that ended up in Trinners as a mature student. She's not an indoctrinated, sheltered little Louise o Neil princess. She actually struggled, learned from her mistakes, turned her life around and made something of herself. She should be able to see the dysfunction that is there among the higher classes in this country, as many people who end up in D4 from somewhere else actually do.

Unfortunately, if it is self interest, she's picked the side that are now on the decline.
    Aye, didn't take her long to see the handy path. My favorite thing she did was the privilege walk in Front Square.

yoppy wrote: »
    You think the way you do because someone wants you to think that way, you're on about incitement....Go and listen to a few Putin interviews, You probably won't as the mear mention of his name probably has a skewered opinion formed already and that's because the controlled media you consume has you that way.

I'm trying to overcome it but I can't do it, man. :(

Sure. They believe that a politician should be able to ban Free speech on the Internet. That the proposed legislation is in any way valid.

So you think that because 41 people clicked their mouse on a heart on the internet, Ireland is a conformist country?

The water-charge protests, Apollo House, the thousands that walked down O'Connell street in protest of student fees, all those mean nothing next to 41 internet folk clicking like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

It tells me that there's an awful lot of eejits out there. Lets take the typical Journal.ie article as an example, none of what you said applies. In fact most of the comments are way off topic and are usually to do with the government or banks for some mad reason. It's then becomes a pissing contest with all sorts of moronic up and down voting.

We should ban that add if it upsets you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

No but the ironic thing about Una's article and the twitter reaction is that I never would have bothered reading the original article at all until they started calling for its removal.

I read it and somehow I managed not to become a fascist, racist homophobe but I guess I'm one of the lucky ones…

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

For poor journalism - yes.
    A more intelligent journalist would have counteracted the said article she opposed, rather than trying to shut down debate.

Too many want to shut down debate, rather than debate.
    There is plenty of stuff we all don't like, but that is life and debating it is better than deleting/hiding it - an attitude that can lead to negative consequences.

So you never saw the likes of a link to an interesting associated video or article posted by a commentor on a current affairs story?

Honestly, no. And I usually don't bother reading them anymore anyway.

We should ban that add if it upsets you?

This just seems like a group of random words put together, it has no relationship to my post you're replying to.

Honestly, no. And I usually don't bother reading them.

Ah, you're missing out.
    Ps. hope you read this.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Too many want to shut down debate, rather than debate.
    There is plenty of stuff we all don't like, but that is life and debating it is better than deleting/hiding it - an attitude that can lead to negative consequences.

How do you debate with Neo-Nazis? You can't.

There was a good link of Reddit this morning where an Irish holocaust survivor wrote a letter to the Irish Times in 1988 making just that point.

http://imgur.com/a/wy8qM

Ah, you're missing out.
    Ps. hope you read this.

I am missing out, but what I'm missing out on is 99.9% things I don't want to be reading anyway. It's like saying you should jump in front of this bus because you're missing out on a world of pain and hospital food. That's 100% true, but would I be saddened to miss out on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

LOL at all the edgelords on here thinking that a newspaper trying to moderate what is published on their site is an attack on free speech.

The day that you can't set up your own website is the day your free speech is being attacked.

I am missing out, but what I'm missing out on is 99.9% things I don't want to be reading anyway. It's like saying you should jump in front of this bus because you're missing out on a world of pain and hospital food. That's 100% true, but would I be saddened to miss out on it?

Would you like others to miss out on a link to an interesting associated video or article posted by a commentor on a current affairs story?
    If there was a vote to ban comments, would you vote to ban them?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Same paper gave her a platform to respond to those views. That is usually how the free press works. TBH I hadn't heard of the alt-right article until somebody posted about it in here yesterday so I was unaware there was a "storm" created by it. I had a read of it and it comes across as hateful garbage and the terminology was pure cringe factor amped to 11.

The alt-right article was put out by the IT and I'm sure the Irish public that read it are well able to call a spade a spade when it comes to the ideology behind it. The only people who would fall in line behind it would be those who were already on the far right side of the Irish political spectrum. Thankfully, we don't have too many of those.

Regarding comments in articles, moderation would be a good idea but would require our cash starved media organisations to hire a good few people to deal with it. With the trend edging towards more and more cutbacks, I don't see them bothering to spend cash on moderation. Even Vice have now taken away comment sections from their articles. It will be interesting to see who follow suit in the coming years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement