Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-09-2014, 20:37   #1
--LOS--
=^.^=

"eco leather", "sustainable fish" and other examples of where language lies

I was over at someone's house one day and 'xpose' comes on, they were on about "eco leather". For a minute I naively thought oh what's this, are they actually promoting non-animal products? It's not a term I've heard before, so when I heard "eco leather" I was thinking environmentally friendly faux leather. Turns out they were just on about some line of bags that uses natural dyes.

I passed a restaurant another day, on the chalkboard outside was written "sustainable fish". That's kind of baffling since scientists say at the current rate of consumption, the oceans could be empty by 2048.

I guess "humane slaughter" would be another one. Can you think of any others?
Advertisement
18-09-2014, 23:54   #2
BMJD

Any egg box that has a lovely picture of grass and sunshine.

The ads for some awful processed fish product that claims it makes your kids brains develop.

And on and on.
19-09-2014, 09:55   #3
sok2005

As far as I know sustainable fish is always farmed fish. It's nothing to do with a higher level of compassion, quite the opposite.
19-09-2014, 13:19   #4

Humane slaughter cracks me up, its a bit of a paradox no?
19-09-2014, 13:28   #5
Potatoeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by --LOS-- View Post
I was over at someone's house one day and 'xpose' comes on, they were on about "eco leather". For a minute I naively thought oh what's this, are they actually promoting non-animal products? It's not a term I've heard before, so when I heard "eco leather" I was thinking environmentally friendly faux leather. Turns out they were just on about some line of bags that uses natural dyes.

I passed a restaurant another day, on the chalkboard outside was written "sustainable fish". That's kind of baffling since scientists say at the current rate of consumption, the oceans could be empty by 2048.

I guess "humane slaughter" would be another one. Can you think of any others?
Well eco would refer to the enviroment. Wouldnt non animal products be artifical leather?
Humane slaughter is far less cruel than halal.
Advertisement
19-09-2014, 17:30   #6
BMJD

apparently this is "culture"

**** off
20-09-2014, 21:22   #7
Tar.Aldarion
/flails limbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoeman View Post
Well eco would refer to the enviroment. Wouldnt non animal products be artifical leather?
Humane slaughter is far less cruel than halal.
And what is the number one thing we do that is bad for the environment? Animal agriculture. Humane slaughter is an oxymoron, it's really not an important distinction in this case to say one thing is more cruel than another.
04-10-2014, 03:26   #8
Juan More Time

There is a very good faux Italian leather called Lorica. It's a high end compressed microfiber and it's both hard wearing and breathable. Lorica also more expensive than leather...

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion