Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-09-2016, 15:50   #31
Candie

Bump!

September!

I still love autumn and winter.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
02-09-2016, 10:40   #32

Me too! It's my favourite time of year. September feels like a new beginning for me, far more so than the official New Year.
Thanks from:
02-09-2016, 10:41   #33

Autumn ftw!
Thanks from:
02-09-2016, 11:03   #34

I love Autumn. I love the yellow quality of the light both early morning and evening. I love the slight chill in the air. I love the sense that "Winter is Coming".

Then when winter comes, I love cold crisp days, I love winter clothes, boots, hot water bottles, winter food - stews, casseroles, roasts.... I love heavier covers on the bed and listening to rain outside.

I dont like the lack of daylight during the week and I dont like snow after a few days of it - but thats minor really.

I often find myself craving winter during the summer, but I never find myself craving summer during winter.
(5) thanks from:
02-09-2016, 11:08   #35
Candie

That's exactly how I feel about it Inthecloulds, except I don't mind the shorter days (tip: Get yourself a wake-up light alarm, it makes a difference to how you feel all day and makes getting up much easier).

The very best thing about it is listening to the rain on the window when you're nodding off to sleep.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
02-09-2016, 15:18   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candie View Post
That's exactly how I feel about it Inthecloulds, except I don't mind the shorter days (tip: Get yourself a wake-up light alarm, it makes a difference to how you feel all day and makes getting up much easier).

The very best thing about it is listening to the rain on the window when you're nodding off to sleep.
Or if the wind is wild outside, the cosy feeling of being in bed.
(2) thanks from:
03-09-2016, 10:48   #37

Quote:

I don't mind the shorter days either. I do love the idea of a wake up light alarm. Must check out further.
Thanks from:
03-09-2016, 14:23   #38
Candie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnGrace View Post
I don't mind the shorter days either. I do love the idea of a wake up light alarm. Must check out further.
They're so good Lynn, they start to brighten slowly over 30 -45 minutes like a real sunrise, and apparently you release the right hormones as you would if you were waking naturally. I have so much more energy all day in the winters since I've used one, and just getting up is much easier. I'm a morning person generally, but winter mornings in the dark still used to really get to me.

They're a bit pricey, but I can't recommend them enough.
Thanks from:
03-09-2016, 14:40   #39
Widdershins

Quote:
They're so good Lynn, they start to brighten slowly over 30 -45 minutes like a real sunrise, and apparently you release the right hormones as you would if you were waking naturally. I have so much more energy all day in the winters since I've used one, and just getting up is much easier. I'm a morning person generally, but winter mornings in the dark still used to really get to me.

They're a bit pricey, but I can't recommend them enough.
Which one do you use, Candie? Do you think there'd be much difference between brands, or do they all do much the same thing? I've been feeling about 80 years old in the mornings
Thanks from:
Advertisement
03-09-2016, 15:06   #40
Candie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widdershins View Post
Which one do you use, Candie? Do you think there'd be much difference between brands, or do they all do much the same thing? I've been feeling about 80 years old in the mornings
I was the same. I have one by Lumia, I think I got it on an Amazon deal of the day, the one I had before that was a Philips one, both of them were the most basic models and the cheapest one (the Lumia) was about £45. So, pricey enough. They both do the basically same thing, gradually brighten so your body thinks it's waking naturally to a sunrise. Some models have loads of different sounds for the alarm, but I've only every used the birdsong sounds. Others have longer or more variable 'sunrises', some with more natural light changes, but I've never tried them.

Pricey as they are, the day the Philips one died I bought the Lumia within 30 minutes, because I wouldn't go back to the days of getting up in the pitch dark, all mentally foggy.

Well worth it Widders, I hope you find it as good as I do if you buy one.
(2) thanks from:
03-09-2016, 20:43   #41

Thanks for that Candie. I think it would really be a good idea for me to get one. Another reason to love Autumn and Winter coming right up.

Last edited by LynnGrace; 04-09-2016 at 08:39. Reason: Typo
Thanks from:
03-09-2016, 21:36   #42
Candie

I was talking about the light alarms to my aunt after thinking of this thread when she mentioned the dark mornings, and apparently around september/october every year they have light-up alarms on offer in Aldi, my aunt bought one last year and she thinks it's great and it seems to have all the same functions as mine. It cost her about £20 stg last year, which would be a big saving on the branded one I have!

Just thought I'd let you both know so you can check if they come up on offer over the next few weeks.
(3) thanks from:
04-09-2016, 11:53   #43
Widdershins

Quote:
I was talking about the light alarms to my aunt after thinking of this thread when she mentioned the dark mornings, and apparently around september/october every year they have light-up alarms on offer in Aldi, my aunt bought one last year and she thinks it's great and it seems to have all the same functions as mine. It cost her about £20 stg last year, which would be a big saving on the branded one I have!

Just thought I'd let you both know so you can check if they come up on offer over the next few weeks.
That's thoughtful, thanks very much
(2) thanks from:
09-09-2016, 16:06   #44
Sapphire

Mulled wine!
Big gutsy stews and casseroles!
Halloween!
Snuggling up with a blanket on the sofa!

I'm the weirdo that loves Brussels sprouts so seeing those make me smile too.
(3) thanks from:
12-09-2016, 10:02   #45
New Home

(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size