Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recipes for fresh beetroot and mint please!

• 18-07-2013 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭

I'm home at the minute and the garden is full of nice fresh veg. Among everything is some beetroot and tons of fresh mint. I'm looking for some nice ideas or recipes for using these, I've been eating the beetroot raw in salads and I'm making a beetroot risotto at the minute, any other suggestions? There is so much mint, there's only so much of it you can add to a glass of water, so any ideas how to use it up besides water or mojitos?!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Roast some of the beetroot, peel it, then throw it into a blender with some feta, and handful of mint and if you have a little horseradish. Blend until you've got a textrue similar to houmous, then add salt and white pepper.

You can use that as a dip for bread or fresh vegetables, it's very nice and fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Beetroot chocolate cake is surprisingly nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Thanks guys, anyone have any ideas for using mint in bulk, anything I look up on the web only calls for a very small amount of it, hate to see it go to waste.

I made lovely beetroot burgers the other day, mashed some chickpeas and kidney beans, added in some cumin, salt pepper, and stirred in chunks of cooked beetroot, formed into patties and coated in a bit of flour and fried. It made for really tasty burgers and my family also loved them so I will definitely be making those again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭bullpost

Look for a recipe for Balsamic-roasted beetroot. Dennis Cotter from Cafe Patradiso does one. Very simple - just add balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm not a vegetarian so don't normally post in this forum, but I remembered someone making mint pesto once and thought you might be interested: http://www.marthastewart.com/339267/mint-pesto

Edit: Please ignore the bit about serving it with meat! I'd say it would be lovely with pasta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Tabbouleh, mint tea, chop it up and freeze in water for later, mint chermoula, mint ice cream...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Some good ideas for mint here: http://www.happysimpleliving.com/2011/09/06/11-things-to-do-with-fresh-mint/

I'm very boring when it comes to beetroot, I usually just make bucket loads of borscht.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emclau

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

A staple in our house is beetroot, boiled. When it's still warm, add garlic, natural yoghurt and chopped mint. We eat that a LOT!

We also griddle fry a selection of veg (usually potatoes, courgettes, aubergines, peppers etc) and then lash a load of yoghurt on top with mint in. Eat with crusty bread. Yummm!

Advertisement