Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

11-07-2013, 08:33   #151
CramCycle
A wholly unreasonable man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumen View Post
This thread is making me want to buy a glucometer.
I'll give you one, companies throw them at Diabetics.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-07-2013, 08:47   #152
JC 3.14159

I'm another paleo fan/cyclist. I started with a 30-day blitz, as recommended by most paleo books and websites.

It's worth a try. I found that it completely changed how I felt about food. For example, previously dinner might have been a pile of noodles or pasta or rice with some chicken and some veg. Nutritionally, the white carb stuff adds nothing to the meal. A better alternative is to double the amount of chicken and fill the plate with veggies. You might think that you'd miss the noodles, but why? They don't taste like anything, and the texture is horrible and gluey (I only noticed this when I tried them after the 30 days). You can cut way back on seasoning or sauces too because all the ingredients have a taste already. Ok, the dinner costs abit more, but if you're gonna spend on anything, food is one place that's worth it. If you accept the 'animal fat is good' argument (I do) then you can buy the cheaper cuts that other people are scared of. A slow cooker is a big help toi.

An added bonus with paleo is that you become instantly immune to all food marketing/food pyramid nonsense. Danone Actimel, piss off! You only need to visit 2 sections of the supermarket.

Last edited by JC 3.14159; 11-07-2013 at 08:55. Reason: accidentally hit thumbs down smiley thing. Stupid phone/ fat fingers incompatability.
(2) thanks from:
11-07-2013, 10:40   #153
Lumen

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacl View Post
Everything seems to either cause cancer, or is the new miracle cure for cancer. IMHO, stressing about cancer causes cancer. What causes cancer today seems to be the cure for cancer tomorrow
Today's news is that fish oils both cause and cure cancer. Brilliant!
11-07-2013, 10:53   #154
AstraMonti

Maybe I missed it, but do you eat any fruits? Any deserts?
11-07-2013, 11:56   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraMonti View Post
Maybe I missed it, but do you eat any fruits? Any deserts?
Fruits are fine - the sugar is relatively low. Unless you're trying to lose weight, then a small amount of low sugar fruits like berries would be best. You cant go wrong with plant foods as a general rule I would say, but more vegetables and less fruit would be best.

The problem with desserts is that they are mostly preprocessed, to a certain degree at least ( ice cream, pastries, etc ). Processed essentially means de-natured ( stripped of any original nutrients) high in sugar, bad fats . You could buy an ice cream maker and make ice cream from soy or almond milk though. Freshly made almond milk btw, sweetend with dates is really delicious. You could also make pancakes from rice flour and almond milk too. Although maple syrup and honey are strictly paleo/ primal ( because they are close to their original state ) small amounts is key because they still raise your blood sugar.

Edit - Strictly speaking that should be ground almond instead of Rice flour ( but Rice flour is gluten free )

Last edited by Ole Rodrigo; 11-07-2013 at 12:22.
Advertisement
11-07-2013, 12:15   #156
Seaneh
Banned

Really decent pealo pancake recipe.

2 egg, 2 bananas.

Mash up your banana until it's smooth, beat your eggs, mix them and then fry a few dollops at a time in a coconut oil.

tis yummers.

Can add ground almond or something it give more texture.
Thanks from:
11-07-2013, 12:30   #157
petethedrummer

Quote:
Today's news is that fish oils both cause and cure cancer. Brilliant!
Yeah I heard that alright. You'll eventually die of something, maybe a bit later but maybe a bit earlier depending on what you eat.

My diet change was for quality of life reasons. If that means a shorter but better life, then so be it.
11-07-2013, 13:02   #158
NamelessPhil

There's a good blog called Science-based Medicine that takes a scientific look at some of the claims made by advocates of the paleo diet. http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/...y-paleo-dream/

Some of the claims that paleolithic peoples didn't suffer from heart disease or cancer don't seem to be supported.
Thanks from:
11-07-2013, 13:05   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPhil View Post
There's a good blog called Science-based Medicine that takes a scientific look at some of the claims made by advocates of the paleo diet. http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/...y-paleo-dream/

Some of the claims that paleolithic peoples didn't suffer from heart disease or cancer don't seem to be supported.
Thats right. There is good evidence suggesting too much animal products cause problems.

Once its balanced with lots of plant foods though, paleo/primal seems to be a good bet.

Edit - its also worth pointing out the science involved with human nutrition is by no means as rigorous as, say, the science involved with establishing a new particle.

Last edited by Ole Rodrigo; 11-07-2013 at 13:27.
Advertisement
11-07-2013, 15:09   #160
Lumen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ror_74 View Post
Thats right. There is good evidence suggesting too much animal products cause problems.

Once its balanced with lots of plant foods though, paleo/primal seems to be a good bet.
If one was concerned with health, why not just go paleo-vegan or whatever it's called?
11-07-2013, 15:32   #161
petethedrummer

Quote:
why not just go paleo-vegan or whatever it's called?
This is why. She was Spurlock's GF during Supersize Me.

http://alexandrajamieson.com/im-not-vegan-anymore/

http://youtu.be/evcNPfZlrZs?t=1h35m56s
11-07-2013, 16:06   #162

Quote:
If one was concerned with health, why not just go paleo-vegan or whatever it's called?
Agreed. In fact, I suspect its the vegan/ yoga folk who might fare best in the long run.

Whats also interesting is rise of medical clinics that treat various conditions with nutrition, and they all emphasise a lot of raw vegetables, fruit, nuts and seeds, with some lightly cooked vegetables and little or no animal foods. Not that that necessarily means anything for anyone else, but as a benchmark it could be useful. Its plant foods that get the thumbs up from every side of the debate, time and time again. Vitamin B12 is the only deficiency in a varied properly executed plant only diet. The body stores up to 3 years worth when its fully nourished. But..a good vegan diet is not very convenient and takes more commitment than a paleo one.

I also suspect many paleo sites put too much emphasis on animal fat because thats what people want to hear, that its ok to eat a lot of animal foods. This is what drives traffic to their sites. You can also design a high fat plant diet for example - nuts, coconut, avocado..but we don't hear much of that. And we should, they are equally ' paleo ' food types after all. Another thing is the clear problems associated with too much protein in a diet. Its hard to design a diet high in animal fats that isn't high in protein too. Just sayin ..!
(3) thanks from:
11-07-2013, 16:19   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by petethedrummer View Post
As a criticism of her site, I suspect the market she is aiming herself at is lifestyle vegans, those who for not very well thought out reasons - say college age idealists who think they are saving the planet - decided to go vegan and ended up malnourished.
11-07-2013, 17:02   #164
Lumen

Quote:
Originally Posted by petethedrummer View Post
This is why. She was Spurlock's GF during Supersize Me.

http://alexandrajamieson.com/im-not-vegan-anymore/
At least she didn't overthink it.
11-07-2013, 17:44   #165
petethedrummer

Quote:
At least she didn't overthink it.
In interest of full disclosure. I broke my low carb diet yesterday. I had cheese cake. I'm sorry to all my supporters. I am crying as I write this.
(2) thanks from:
Thread Closed