Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-09-2011, 16:34   #61

I never answer them. If it's important they can leave a message and I'll call them back. If you can't be bothered to display your number, I can't be bothered to answer it.
Advertisement
15-09-2011, 16:34   #62
unitedrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Kenny- View Post
Worst is when you get a call of Private Number and all they say is .. "Well Ring me back will ya? " and hang up
Their loss but then they probably have the cheek to call us ignorant when we dont ring them back
15-09-2011, 16:36   #63
melekalikimaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wertz View Post
...and you'll know who it is you'll be talking to when they say "Hi this is X".

It's a wonder some of you set foot outside the door of a morning, for fear of the unknown...
I'm ain't paranoid, I just don't answer them, reasons have been given. Why do people block them, have they something to hide?
Thanks from:
15-09-2011, 16:37   #64

pansies afraid to answer because the number doesn't come up,

i guess you never had a phone back in the days when there was no caller ID, quick to the panic room the phone is ringing, ha haha,
(3) thanks from:
15-09-2011, 16:37   #65
Snakeblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_furry View Post
I don't get people that won't answer private numbers. It's not like you're going to get mugged over the phone.
I answer private numbers, but it feels a bit crap that someone is holding information back from me. They know who they are ringing but I don't know who I'm answering. It's a tiny shift in the balance of power that bothers people. Like if a car is stopped at a traffic light, and another car comes to a halt 4 cm in front of it, the stopped car will often roll forward to make up the lost ground. God forbid they lose their advantage.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-09-2011, 16:43   #66
Feisar

The people who piss me of are those that won't answer private numbers and have their own set to private as well.

I don't have mine set to private and I'll answer anything.

My gran aunt has her phone on private, one time she rang me looking for a lift. I missed the call and didn't know who rang - no lift.
When it came up in conversation the next day she said: oh I have MY phone set to private. The way she said it was like she was above the rest of us great unwashed. Weird.
Plus I've a mate who won't answer private numbers, so I sometimes switch my phone to private to call him. Pisses him right off. Like just answer the bloody thing!
Thanks from:
15-09-2011, 16:45   #67
sbsquarepants

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherLen View Post
i know loads of people that wont answer private numbers. it pisses me off because my house phone is not listed so comes up as private no. just answer your phone, whats the worst that could happen?
I can see the point if you're a drug dealer, or having multiple affairs or dodging something you should have done in work, or something like that, but "ordinary decent" people not answering them is just ridiculous.
People forget that it's not so long ago that all numbers were private numbers - but they still fúcking answered their phones!
15-09-2011, 16:45   #68
seamus
Dental Plan!

Send a message via MSN to seamus
Quote:
Originally Posted by super_furry View Post
I don't get people that won't answer private numbers. It's not like you're going to get mugged over the phone.
9 times out of ten, it's somebody selling something and they don't want you to be able to screen their call.

The only person I know with a private number is my mother in law.

And she leaves a message.
15-09-2011, 16:47   #69

We had to have our house phone number taken out of the phone book (so we now appear as a private number) because we are 1 of 2 houses in the area with the same name. The other house was always ex-directory so we ended up with a lot of people just hanging up whenever I answered the phone normally at the most inconvenient times, could get up to 5 in one day. Other people would ask me why am I answering this phone. A lot of the time it would be elderly people who just did'nt understand.

Anyway, I agree with people who do not answer to a private number, if I have to ring someone from the house phone I simply leave a message, I can't see why people have such a problem with leaving messages.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
15-09-2011, 16:49   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gophur View Post
@ Anyone who refuses to answer a private number call

Not answering a ringing phone is the height of ignorance.

Someone is trying to speak to you and you refuse to answer?

If knowing who's on the line is in any way important you'll answer the call.

If a strange number (one you don't recognise) show, do you answer it?
Yes! How dare you not cater to them as soon as they call you!

Know your place, non-phone-answerers!

Stephen Fry is right about phones. They are rude, rude things. And I will refuse to answer whenever I please. Which is most of the time.
(2) thanks from:
15-09-2011, 16:50   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by py2006 View Post
I don't answer them myself. I seem to get a few and they never leave a voicemail.

Either the bank or some chick I don't want to talk to.
So just the bank then

I don't answer private numbers, never good news
Thanks from:
15-09-2011, 16:52   #72

If you're on UPC pick up your phone and dial *90.

From that point on, the nice UPC robot lady will tell any annoymous to politely feck off.

#90 turns the service off again.
15-09-2011, 16:53   #73
Biggins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsquarepants View Post
I can see the point if you're a drug dealer, or having multiple affairs or dodging something you should have done in work, or something like that, but "ordinary decent" people not answering them is just ridiculous.
I will just say the following, maybe you work in a job that deals with a lot of cash, maybe you work in an area that security has to be tight for reasons I can't go into.
Answering the phone on rare occasions to an unknown person at home can lead to that person knowing your there, if they are seeking you out ('Tiger Kidnappings', etc).
If you answer a phone that mobile, you can be tracked and found.

The above is the one in a hundred scenario but suffice to say without further details, sometimes there is very valid reason why not to answer unknown calls - all within complete legit reason. You don't have to be a law breaker.

Last edited by Biggins; 15-09-2011 at 17:06.
(2) thanks from:
15-09-2011, 16:59   #74
true-or-false

I answer private numbers but I hate them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGreenthumb View Post
pansies afraid to answer because the number doesn't come up,

i guess you never had a phone back in the days when there was no caller ID, quick to the panic room the phone is ringing, ha haha,
It's not fear at all, I've no idea why someone would be scared to answer a private number. It being rude and annoying is what the problem is for me. Anyone I've ever known to have their number on private basically did it because A: they could and B: it wasn't going to inconvenience them, it would only inconvenience other people. I can understand the novelty of it when you're 10 years old with your first phone but at this stage in the game people need to get over themselves. Why bother setting it to private for no reason other than they're a bit of a tool?
15-09-2011, 17:00   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by melekalikimaka View Post
I'm ain't paranoid, I just don't answer them, reasons have been given. Why do people block them, have they something to hide?
Fair enough and fair enough for Biggins as well. None of my business.

I'm the type that turns the voicemail off and doesn't leave recorded messages either (unless it's bonafide emergency), which some people might find strange too.

As for people blocking them, many landlines here are ex-directory or with some older or less tech aware people they may not even understand the concept of caller ID or would know how to turn it on or off on a mobile or house phone...doesn't mean they're stupid or any the less worth your time...

Marketing like I said I'm happy to f*ck them off and abuse them...hey, I didn't call them. If you don't answer they probably just keep calling at random anyhow.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion