Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"eco leather", "sustainable fish" and other examples of where language lies

• 18-09-2014 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭

I was over at someone's house one day and 'xpose' comes on, they were on about "eco leather". For a minute I naively thought oh what's this, are they actually promoting non-animal products? It's not a term I've heard before, so when I heard "eco leather" I was thinking environmentally friendly faux leather. Turns out they were just on about some line of bags that uses natural dyes.

I passed a restaurant another day, on the chalkboard outside was written "sustainable fish". That's kind of baffling since scientists say at the current rate of consumption, the oceans could be empty by 2048.

I guess "humane slaughter" would be another one. Can you think of any others?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Any egg box that has a lovely picture of grass and sunshine.

The ads for some awful processed fish product that claims it makes your kids brains develop.

And on and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭sok2005

As far as I know sustainable fish is always farmed fish. It's nothing to do with a higher level of compassion, quite the opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Humane slaughter cracks me up, its a bit of a paradox no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

--LOS-- wrote: »
    I was over at someone's house one day and 'xpose' comes on, they were on about "eco leather". For a minute I naively thought oh what's this, are they actually promoting non-animal products? It's not a term I've heard before, so when I heard "eco leather" I was thinking environmentally friendly faux leather. Turns out they were just on about some line of bags that uses natural dyes.

I passed a restaurant another day, on the chalkboard outside was written "sustainable fish". That's kind of baffling since scientists say at the current rate of consumption, the oceans could be empty by 2048.

I guess "humane slaughter" would be another one. Can you think of any others?

Well eco would refer to the enviroment. Wouldnt non animal products be artifical leather?
    Humane slaughter is far less cruel than halal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

apparently this is "culture"

2w6at5e.jpg

**** off

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Potatoeman wrote: »
    Well eco would refer to the enviroment. Wouldnt non animal products be artifical leather?
    Humane slaughter is far less cruel than halal.

And what is the number one thing we do that is bad for the environment? Animal agriculture. Humane slaughter is an oxymoron, it's really not an important distinction in this case to say one thing is more cruel than another.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Juan More Time

There is a very good faux Italian leather called Lorica. It's a high end compressed microfiber and it's both hard wearing and breathable. Lorica also more expensive than leather...

Advertisement