Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential start up but need quote for leo funding

• 22-05-2020 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi, I'm writing this in the hope to reach out to developers who would have more of an idea about the cost of projects.

I currently have a wordpress site and developed it with various plugins and themes, but it is very basic and know I dont have the skills to develope to what it could be. It is a site with aim to be more sustainable and help local retailers.

I am in talks with my local enterprise office about developing the start up further but they would like to know an idea of the costs to develope the site further from what I have achieved.
    Thanks,
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Based on the info you've given us, How long is a piece of string?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I'd recommend writing an outline specification of exactly what you want the site to do and look like and get some quotations on that basis. Without this specific information you're really asking how long is a piece of string.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Jinx :)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Chacha97

Thanks haha I knew it was vague and apologise for that. I did not want to type it all out and be very specific and have no one respond, so just tried to see if someone would respond first. I'll type out some of the specifics once I finish work and if anyone can help that'll be greatly appreciated!

smacl wrote: »
    I'd recommend writing an outline specification of exactly what you want the site to do and look like and get some quotations on that basis. Without this specific information you're really asking how long is a piece of string.

Sorry yeah writing out the specifications is my next step but just wanted to see if anyone responded first to the post.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Do you even have an outline? As far as I'm aware, LEO and EI don't provide funding for so called catalogue/broucher sites. If you aim is eCommerce, then you could get funding to trade online, otherwise, you might be better off going through the New Frontiers program.

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    Do you even have an outline? As far as I'm aware, LEO and EI don't provide funding for so called catalogue/broucher sites. If you aim is eCommerce, then you could get funding to trade online, otherwise, you might be better off going through the New Frontiers program.

Yeah it's not catalogue. It's an ecommerce marketplace aiming to help local retailers first with the aim to then expand abroad but help local retailers succeed in their own markets abroad.

I feel todays huge marketplaces say they help local retailers sell to the world but I feel they have caused the opposite, local retailers are now even struggling for online sales from their own country often losing sales to foreign based sellers even though they sell the exact or similar product.

Especially with covid it is more important than ever to support Irish businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Chacha97 wrote: »
    Yeah it's not catalogue. It's an ecommerce marketplace aiming to help local retailers first with the aim to then expand abroad but help local retailers succeed in their own markets abroad.

I feel todays huge marketplaces say they help local retailers sell to the world but I feel they have caused the opposite, local retailers are now even struggling for online sales from their own country often losing sales to foreign based sellers even though they sell the exact or similar product.

Especially with covid it is more important than ever to support Irish businesses.

It's a good idea search amazon clones and you might get something similar off the shelf.

But there is a lot more to running a website than having the code e.g. hosting and scalability, security, GPDR.

davindub wrote: »
    It's a good idea search amazon clones and you might get something similar off the shelf.

But there is a lot more to running a website than having the code e.g. hosting and scalability, security, GPDR.

Yeah totally get where you are coming from. I currently have a basic site in which people can sign up, upload products and sell and it's coming along nicely, but I have a few things to tidy up like inputting the payment gateway etc.

Would love local enterprise support to bring it to an other level as I am by no means a coder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Yeah totally get where you are coming from. I currently have a basic site in which people can sign up, upload products and sell and it's coming along nicely, but I have a few things to tidy up like inputting the payment gateway etc.

Would love local enterprise support to bring it to an other level as I am by no means a coder.

Hmm, well worth a try locally to proof maybe. Once you have the website up and running try google page insights and load testing to give you an idea of how optimized your website is/ whether you need better hosting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Magento v2 is good. There's integrations available that would allow you to manage sales on Amazon, Ebay and other online market places. Since Magento is also open source and the code available, I found it was very easy to work with, developing micro services.

Advertisement