Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consent - did I take the right approach???

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

The real trouble will start when she inevitably withdraws consent having been coached by some blue haired loon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭burnsey1987

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Not all heroes wear capes.

Sorry you've lost me

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

That's why I don't leave home without my Jimmy Savile mask op, you need to suit up for hugs, be prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Are you talking literal hug OP, or is it a euphemism.
    For example...when two people love each other very much, they hug in a special way.

That kinda hug?
    Because, then yes you were right to ask if she was sure.
    And did ye hug in the bathroom stalls or just right there in the middle of the bar, with everyone watching ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

So a girl asked you for a hug, you asked her was she sure, she said yes and then you hugged her anyway?

You are disgusting. I hope you apologized.

:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

You're great for just hugging her and not trying to sleep with her

• Registered Users Posts: 22,220 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I have a feeling that this is the closest the OP has ever been to a non maternal pair of boobs

Thanks for sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Is this really the sh!t people are worrying about these days? Did I handle that hug situation correctly...? It's a f**king hug! She didn't ask you to drop to your knees in the middle of the pub and eat her out. But just so we're clear OP, that's a situation where you should probably check if she's serious before jumping straight in!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

"And in the end, there was much taboo about nothing."

- Not an actual quote, I just felt like putting it in quotation marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

"No, I'm eating my breakfast Kate."

That's what a true gentleman would have said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

Jaysus, it'd put me off if a lad was constantly asking me if I was consenting, especially for a hug. Can you imagine the ride? ''Is this ok?'' ''yes''.....30 seconds later ''are you still comfortable consenting?'' ''yes''.........''is this still ok?''. Good lord, this is a result of these consent campaigns. Use your common sense and don't put it in her bum as a greeting but a hug is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Jaysus, it'd put me off if a lad was constantly asking me if I was consenting, especially for a hug. Can you imagine the ride? ''Is this ok?'' ''yes''.....30 seconds later ''are you still comfortable consenting?'' ''yes''.........''is this still ok?''. Good lord, this is a result of these consent campaigns. Use your common sense and don't put it in her bum as a greeting but a hug is grand.

Sadly that's what some in the feminist movement are saying should happen. And plenty of men terrified of being accused of assault are going to follow that line. Common sense served the vast majority of us well for generations. This new hysteria is way over the top.

I've found CCTV footage of the OP's encounter

q48bJ.gif

Jaysus, it'd put me off if a lad was constantly asking me if I was consenting, especially for a hug.

It was she who asked me for a hug. If she hadn't asked I would have just assumed she didn't want one and nothing at all would have happened.
    Can you imagine the ride? ''Is this ok?'' ''yes''.....30 seconds later ''are you still comfortable consenting?'' ''yes''.........''is this still ok?''. Good lord, this is a result of these consent campaigns. Use your common sense and don't put it in her bum as a greeting but a hug is grand.

No, not really. Wouldn't be my type of thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

endacl wrote: »
    e3efbe832b6d49e3fa41ff3e76a0721a---problems-totally-me.jpg

It had 99 thanks until I thanked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭893bet

What pub?

*Sounds like it would be easy pull if you sit alone drinking pints....win win....*

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pithythefool

"I've been told that I need to get consent to give a hug, am I doing it wrong?" I'd say jokingly as I gave her a hug.

Then it gets her thinking, maybe, about the craziness going on and she might actually talk about it afterwards with other people, helping to nip this crap in the bud before it takes hold.

What you did just makes you come across as a shell of a person, taking the blame instead of the nuts that are propagating this type of horrible society.

They need to be laughed away, not let seep into your consciousness.

893bet wrote: »
    *Sounds like it would be easy pull if you sit alone drinking pints....win win....*

I had absolutely zero intentions of doing anything of the sort

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

... and therein lies the problem with the concent movement: how does a guy know whether you're the girl who'll get pissed off if you ask every 30 seconds or the girl who will very publicly accuse you of sexual molestation if you don't?

I lot of guys are naturally shy or a bit awkward and this doesn't really help.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

"I've been told that I need to get consent to give a hug, am I doing it wrong?" I'd say jokingly as I gave her a hug.

Then it gets her thinking, maybe, about the craziness going on and she might actually talk about it afterwards with other people, helping to nip this crap in the bud before it takes hold.

What you did just makes you come across as a shell of a person, taking the blame instead of the nuts that are propagating this type of horrible society.

They need to be laughed away, not let seep into your consciousness.

Hugs are easy because they're not sexual. "C'mere, you wanna hug? No? That's okay, we're cool."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭robinwing

" A drum ! a drum ! Macbeth doth come !!"

robinwing wrote: »
    " A drum ! a drum ! Macbeth doth come !!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

This would be funny if there wasn't a grain of truth to it. Look at Lena Dunham, a well known feminist and Clinton campaigner, who is now worse than the antichrist for saying she is standing behind a male colleague she says has been falsely accused of sexual assault.

Falsely accused ... Not falsely convicted. You are guilty until proven innocent. Maybe, just maybe, she knows 100% that this never happened?

OP you are screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

This whole thread is completely pointless. It's a hug. Nobody with a brain is going to lose the head over a hug, especially when they've asked you. If they've ask you to do ANYTHING to them, at that point saying 'are you sure' is just politeness. Anyone who says differently should probably never ask anyone for anything.

Advertisement