Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lead ban

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Need to be talking more to the EU organ grinders than the national monkeys on this lads.Brussels is where this legislation is being drawn up and decided ,not in the Dail.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭oldgit1897

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Need to be talking more to the EU organ grinders than the national monkeys on this lads.Brussels is where this legislation is being drawn up and decided ,not in the Dail.

The eu is a borderline dictatorship, if they want something, then thats what they get. Anyway the irish are not going to pee-off the place that the free money and cushy jobs come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Mississippi.

Yeah, you're right, I wonder if Matt Carthy brought it up much at his work over there or is he just making press releases here about it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Shinners have become a bit of a rudderless bunch and that's been well reflected in their last electoral outings.

oldgit1897 wrote: »
    The eu is a borderline dictatorship, if they want something, then thats what they get. Anyway the irish are not going to pee-off the place that the free money and cushy jobs come from.

Not that our lot could change anything ,even if they voted with both hands up. But thats not to say you cant lobby all the other EU MEPS out there,many of them are pro gun,amd we do have two shooting lobby groups in the EU FACE and FUN.
    It's not over until the calorie challenged person who identifies as a female gender vocalises some harmonics.:)
    We CAN dilute alot of this and in Irelands case we seriously do need to,as otherwise over 80% of the country could be declared a SAC and wetland.Other countries have introduced "barrier areas" prohibiting lead shot on their major water ways prohibiting lead shot.Somthing we should have done years ago,as we are THE only country without any sort of lead policy in shooting in our legislation in the EU.Again,we are going to pay the price of leaving everything on the long finger,and not doing anything.Now others will decide for us.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Not that our lot could change anything ,even if they voted with both hands up. But thats not to say you cant lobby all the other EU MEPS out there,many of them are pro gun,amd we do have two shooting lobby groups in the EU FACE and FUN.
    It's not over until the calorie challenged person who identifies as a female gender vocalises some harmonics.:)
    We CAN dilute alot of this and in Irelands case we seriously do need to,as otherwise over 80% of the country could be declared a SAC and wetland.Other countries have introduced "barrier areas" prohibiting lead shot on their major water ways prohibiting lead shot.Somthing we should have done years ago,as we are THE only country without any sort of lead policy in shooting in our legislation in the EU.Again,we are going to pay the price of leaving everything on the long finger,and not doing anything.Now others will decide for us.

Or we could copy the frogs and learn the gallic shrug. "I am sorry sir, you cannot shoot those lead cartridges here, its wetland", reply with a gallic shrug and a "Meh" and tip on regardless. Its what the french do and it works for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

When it comes in and I am very pessimistic that it wont you wont be able to buy lead shot it's a ban on supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

I honestly don't get the stance people have against SF on this. Would people rather SF were like the rest of the party's, who are in favour of the ban? How would that be beneficial? At least Sinn Fein are making some noise. Without that, this would be kept very quiet, and then, hey presto!! Ban in, no feathers ruffled, and once again the fieldsports community, farmers etc get a kick between the legs, and all we can do is curl up in a pathetic ball.

Easily answerd...
    Involvement despite their denials with an armed terrorist organisation for 35 years of conflict in NI.Sorry some of us just cant forget that likkle point.
    Nor can many others,and having SF repersent shooting is like having Jimmy Saville babysit your kids in PR terms.:eek:

Plus,we have had many SF Td's councillors,etc calling for gun bans in NI and here,we well as ending fieldsports in Ireland.Yet some of their people are involved heavily in coursing and fish and hunt and shoot themselves.

It is a GREAT pity,for them.That not ONE of their MEPs responded to any letters,emails and phone calls,from Firearms United,and thousands of other EU citizens ,when the EU gun ban was going down two years ago!! We were blatantly ignored So now all of a sudden Irish shooters are all important in Brussels because we have suddenly woken up to the fact that the hour is coming of an almighty **** storm is about to descend on the Irish farmer, in his guise as the biggest body of gun owners in Ireland?

Forgive me if I,and many others are a tad skepitcal at their sudden concern for the Irish gunowner.:rolleyes:

Easily answerd...
    Involvement despite their denials with an armed terrorist organisation for 35 years of conflict in NI.Sorry some of us just cant forget that likkle point.
    Nor can many others,and having SF repersent shooting is like having Jimmy Saville babysit your kids in PR terms.:eek:

Plus,we have had many SF Td's councillors,etc calling for gun bans in NI and here,we well as ending fieldsports in Ireland.Yet some of their people are involved heavily in coursing and fish and hunt and shoot themselves.

It is a GREAT pity,for them.That not ONE of their MEPs responded to any letters,emails and phone calls,from Firearms United,and thousands of other EU citizens ,when the EU gun ban was going down two years ago!! We were blatantly ignored So now all of a sudden Irish shooters are all important in Brussels because we have suddenly woken up to the fact that the hour is coming of an almighty **** storm is about to descend on the Irish farmer, in his guise as the biggest body of gun owners in Ireland?

Forgive me if I,and many others are a tad skepitcal at their sudden concern for the Irish gunowner.:rolleyes:

Yes I get what your saying, but something tells me we wouldn't be so sceptical if it came to ANY other party, knowing well they all have similar agendas. Are we really in a position to be so choosy, as to whom represents us? Yea we'd probably all like to pick ANYONE else, but something tells me we'll be waiting a long time to get that line up.

• Advertisement

It's a very brave Pllitician who takes a pro gun stand in any way. Fine Gael and Fianna Fail dont want to now.

Eddie B wrote: »
    Yes I get what your saying, but something tells me we wouldn't be so sceptical if it came to ANY other party, knowing well they all have similar agendas. Are we really in a position to be so choosy, as to whom represents us? Yea we'd probably all like to pick ANYONE else, but something tells me we'll be waiting a long time to get that line up.

Remember one thing about politicans.They are there for themselves,not you,and they are all pigs wanting to get their snouts of the political trough of tax payers money.So use them and give no loyalty to them,and try and figure out whats their angle?By rights we should be now playing any of the mainstreams off SFs action here to get a better deal and more movement.

Eddie B wrote: »
    I honestly don't get the stance people have against SF on this. Would people rather SF were like the rest of the party's, who are in favour of the ban? How would that be beneficial? At least Sinn Fein are making some noise. Without that, this would be kept very quiet, and then, hey presto!! Ban in, no feathers ruffled, and once again the fieldsports community, farmers etc get a kick between the legs, and all we can do is curl up in a pathetic ball.

I wouldn't touch anything with that lots (sf/ira) name on it. It was them turning the country into a warzone that led to us not having our firearms for three decades. It was only a few years ago O'Snodaigh TD or whatever his name is, was actively seeking that our firearms were to be kept in Garda stations and only let out at specified times. Also he wanted pistols and nearly everything else banned.

Sinn fein making noise, great, but so what ? The irish shooting community has zero pull and no one is interested in our plights. The only hope is the farming community, but the likes of FG are no longer interested in them either. I said in an earlier post that no one in power here will do anything, rebel against or even put up token resistance to anything from the eu. The political classes do too well out of it.

Easily answerd...

Yes, i have to agree, i have heard them on about "bloodsports", their concern for Animals, cruelty and all that before. But i am old enough to remember as a kid the horrific pictures of the aftermath of the Hyde park bombings in 1982. Unfortunate horses in a bloody heap after being nail-bombed. Also the people blown to bits too, dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

Is there research anywhere saying that levels of lead from shooting in any water anywhere in europe is at a level to effect the health of any animals in those ares?

Lead water pipes still exist.

There's no mention of a ban on lead use in fishing?

And they exempted lead in military ammunition

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

BryanL wrote: »
    Is there research anywhere saying that levels of lead from shooting in any water anywhere in europe is at a level to effect the health of any animals in those ares?

There are quite a few mentions of banning lead use in fishing there.

BryanL wrote: »

And surely the lead flashing on the roof of every house in the country being constantly eroded by the weather would be a bigger source of lead contaminants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Wanxxers. Ffs we were drinking out of lead pipes of hundreds of years with no measurable effect. and some are still drinking out of them.
    Lead is essential to certain chamberings and no suitable substitute has been found.

I think that they might find that holidays are more dangerous to ones health so perhaps they might actually save a few people if they ban those. , Banning of wind turbines would actually save thousands of birds..perhaps we should remove the modern blades that kill birds from caveatting pressue cells that trail the high speed aerofoil- ye let's stick up Mat the millers clothe sails and go back to throwing rocks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Jake5991

Hi guys iv a browning shotgun . Iv not got the time anymore to be a member of my gun club due to other commitments. Just wondering how can i go about selling my gun ?

Article on the proposed lead ban,and who else is affected. Looking at you.22 rifle owners,and CF rifle owners.YOU are included in this as well!!! But on the positive side,if they did introduce a lead ban on rifle ammo,they are allowing us armour piercing rounds,as thats what a all stell bullet actually is.:D

https://www.gunsweek.com/en/ammunition/articles/eu-goes-again-all-out-lead-ammunition-ban?fbclid=IwAR0vGDWqf4trdiqEoNpYGi0raY5M_aINNPX4Ba70VAyEL2ffVmE8TGP5-WU

Article on the proposed lead ban,and who else is affected. Looking at you.22 rifle owners,and CF rifle owners.YOU are included in this as well!!! But on the positive side,if they did introduce a lead ban on rifle ammo,they are allowing us armour piercing rounds,as thats what a all stell bullet actually is.:D

https://www.gunsweek.com/en/ammunition/articles/eu-goes-again-all-out-lead-ammunition-ban?fbclid=IwAR0vGDWqf4trdiqEoNpYGi0raY5M_aINNPX4Ba70VAyEL2ffVmE8TGP5-WU

Do you think they are pushing for an all out ban but will then settle for a perceived compromise at just shotties or wet lands? not that I want it to get that far even

From the above links the EU Comission have decided t ban all lead used in shooting and fishing.

That decision has been made, they then asked the chemicals agency to give them reasons for it. Backwards way of working, if they'd an interest in evidence for or benefits of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

It simply a way of making a large portion of firearms in Europe useless, it has nothing to do with the environment. All antiques will be useless, anything not steel proofed will be useless, most barrels will be usless because of the twist rate etc..
    It is also ridiculous in terms of safety, non-lead bullets are far more likely to ricochet given the fact that there harder and they dont usually break apart on impact. What theyre doing is very dangerous. It also makes no sense lead produces a hard oxide layer that protects it from leaching into the environment. Copper is actually more soluble and toxic.

We need to keep pressure on our orgs and MEP'S on this issue.We have nothing in legislation on lead in fishing or shooting in Ireland. So it would be better if we decided some legislation on this rather than the EU deciding for us and declaring the entire country a wetland with a total ban on shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Baker.22

Is this not all based on ‘wetland’ ? That the ban is for no shooting in a wetland. I thought that the EU had reclassify all of Ireland as a Wetland.

If this is the case then no Farmer can spread slurry in Ireland.

No home owner (in countryside) May have a septic tank or grey water run off .

Maybe I have been misinformed, can someone clarify ?

Baker.22 wrote: »
    Is this not all based on ‘wetland’ ? That the ban is for no shooting in a wetland. I thought that the EU had reclassify all of Ireland as a Wetland.

Pretty much.We dont have barrier areas around our wetland where all this would be prohibited. Somthing most of the EU countries has to deal with somthing like this.

In a reduced carbon world, Lead in batteries will have a big parts to play.

Big money and Lobby groups involved here https://ila-reach.org/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Baker.22 wrote: »

I understand this is a total ban on lead ammo in the EU.
    This is not to be confused with a ban of lead shot over wetlands.
    Stuff like this led to Brexit

Advertisement