Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What in the actual f**k?

Options
  • 20-02-2018 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/dad-tells-of-being-forced-to-leave-dead-son-on-roadside-467372.html

Collins, who had a previous drink drive conviction from 2006, pleaded guilty to driving a car with excess alcohol — 140 mgs of alcohol per 100 mls of blood at a time when the limit was 50 mgs.

The 70 year-old, of The Bungalow, Threegneeves, Leap, Co Cork, also pleaded guilty to charges of driving without due care and attention causing Stefan’s death.

Yesterday, he was given a one year suspended jail term, a €500 fine, and was banned from driving for five years.

So this guy was driving above the limit, hit and killed an 18 year old kid and he gets a 1 year suspended sentence, 500 euro fine and banned from driving...
    Surely to God this will be appealed?
    Absolute disgrace to be given, what in my eyes, such a lenient sentence.
    500e fine just adds insult to injury.
    When will there be a full review of the idiotc sentences handed down in this country?
    This dead 18 year old's life in the eyes of this particular judge/law was a slap on the wrist it seems.
    Disgusting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

For the sake of balance.

This was from the The Irish Sun:
    "He sentenced him to 12 months’ jail — suspended — and disqualified him from driving for five years.

The judge said the case “deserves” a custodial sentence but he had to be mindful of Collins’ elderly housebound wife.

The judge said there was a “wealth of factors” at play, including the fact it would have been difficult to see Stefan as he had no lights on his bike, no fluorescent jacket or markings on his clothes."

This is a horrible situation for the family and their loss shouldn't be used as cheap outrage fodder.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Your Face wrote: »
    For the sake of balance.

"He sentenced him to 12 months’ jail — suspended — and disqualified him from driving for five years.

The judge said the case “deserves” a custodial sentence but he had to be mindful of Collins’ elderly housebound wife.

The judge said there was a “wealth of factors” at play, including the fact it would have been difficult to see Stefan as he had no lights on his bike, no fluorescent jacket or markings on his clothes."

This is a horrible situation for the family and their loss shouldn't be used as cheap outrage fodder.

That's quite nonsensical, if anyone got off cheaply it was the driver.
    Regardless of the fact the rider didn't have the appropriate clothing or lights but being impaired (this would have made it even harder to see Stefan) behind the wheel is a massive factor.
    If the driver was stone cold sober and still hit the rider then ok I'd have sympathy on both sides.
    But this bastard willingly drank and then drove home and in the meantime killed a kid.
    He was the main factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Collins should have been mindful of his elderly housebound wife before he got into his car over the limit.
    Just because he has responsibilities, doesn't mean he deserves any less a sentence IMO.
    A sentence should punish not just the person, but those that rely on them. That gives further pressure on those not to take such stupid courses of action to put them in such positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

For the sake of balance.

"balance"...he was not thinking about his wife before getting locked behind a wheel..he has a previous drink driving conviction,so he did not learn his lesson then..nothing but a selfish boll*x that caused the death of a young person with there whole life ahead,id lock him up and throw away the key.he deserves nothing better...

I saw this awful story. The full report includes
    Judge Sean O'Donnabhain at Cork Circuit Criminal Court was told that Mr Cooper was riding his bicycle without a light and while wearing dark clothing.

A number of other drivers reported being concerned about the young man on the road.

The cyclist had apparently been weaving on the road with several drivers saying they found it difficult to pass him.

One motorist was so concerned he turned around on the roadway and was driving back to meet Mr Cooper and offer him a lift home for his own safety.

The motorist was all kinds of wrong, but it sounds like even a sober one could have hit the cyclist

• Advertisement

I saw this awful story. The full report includes

The motorist was all kinds of wrong, but it sounds like even a sober one could have hit the cyclist

It also stands to reason that all those drivers were sober and didn't knock him down.
    If it were that the driver was indeed sober then neglect would fall on the rider (not too clued on on law terms for that) but death by dangerous driving seems to be the punishment for this individual.
    500e year and a trip home is a shambles.
    There is nothing to stop this man from getting another car and drink driving again.
    He has a history of it.

Yet somehow didn't.

If it were my family I'd be glad to see him walking straight out of court.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Collins should have been mindful of his elderly housebound wife before he got into his car over the limit.
    Just because he has responsibilities, doesn't mean he deserves any less a sentence IMO.
    A sentence should punish not just the person, but those that rely on them. That gives further pressure on those not to take such stupid courses of action to put them in such positions.

I'm not so sure about that one tbh, I agree the drunk driver should be jailed, I'm just not advocating punishing someone for the wrongs of their father

bear1 wrote: »
    That's quite nonsensical, if anyone got off cheaply it was the driver.
    Regardless of the fact the rider didn't have the appropriate clothing or lights but being impaired (this would have made it even harder to see Stefan) behind the wheel is a massive factor.
    If the driver was stone cold sober and still hit the rider then ok I'd have sympathy on both sides.
    But this bastard willingly drank and then drove home and in the meantime killed a kid.
    He was the main factor.

Typical angry man post - ignore the facts to have a good pub rant.
    Using this story to grandstand is a cheap exercise.

I cant believe people would stoop so low as to use this horrible situation to vent their ill-informed opinions.

There are no winners here.

Typical angry man post - ignore the facts to have a good pub rant.
    Using this story to grandstand is a cheap exercise.

I cant believe people would stoop so low as to use this horrible situation to vent their ill-informed opinions.

There are no winners here.

Ah, I see you're one of those types of posters. :rolleyes:
    I'm hardly ignoring the facts, I'm saying that being drunk behind the wheel should be considered the main factor here.
    All the other sober drivers saw the person on the bike and didn't hit him yet this driver did.
    But go ahead, call me low or an angry man but as far as I'm concerned the driver was the winner here.
    Freedom, 500e less in his pocket and he can freely go to the pub tonight with 0 consequences.

• Advertisement

Ah, I see you're one of those types of posters. :rolleyes:

The 'angry man' typically lacks discussion skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

The actual **** is wrong with this place. He killed somebody while driving 3 times above the legal limit. I can only see one person at fault here.
    Cyclists without lights drive me mad, but the double standards in court is a disgrace. If that was a young male driving the car hed be doing a fairly lengthy stretch.

The 'angry man' typically lacks discussion skills.

Nope, I have actually edited my post.
    Feel free to act like you're appalled at the anger being thrown around.

Nope, I have actually edited my post.
    Feel free to act like you're appalled at the anger being thrown around.

The complexity of the situation is confusing to this type of poster.
    I'm sure they could find a simpler news story to satisfy their anger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm sorry, but even if the teenager that died was wearing a cloak of invisibility, the fact that this guy was caught drink driving, already having previous conviction for it, should be an automatic jail sentence.

Sure we had the case recently where a lad was well over the limit, killed one person, left one Garda with life changing injuries and severely hurt another.....and also received a suspended sentence and 5 year ban.

The Government on one hand trying to drill into us how unacceptable drink driving is, while the courts on the other treat it like like a minor offence....even when innocent peoples lives are destroyed or ended.

Why are you posting nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,520 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I'm sorry, but even if the teenager that died was wearing a cloak of invisibility, the fact that this guy was caught drink driving, already having previous conviction for it, should be an automatic jail sentence.

Sure we had the case recently where a lad was well over the limit, killed one person, left one Garda with life changing injuries and severely hurt another.....and also received a suspended sentence and 5 year ban.

The Government on one hand trying to drill into us how unacceptable drink driving is, while the courts on the other treat it like like a minor offence....even when innocent peoples lives are destroyed or ended.
    I have to say the government may as well fu*k there anti drink driving campaigns out the window,
    The judge should be ashamed, Honestly its horse sh*t about his sick wife, does that matter to the poor lad's family, what state is he in to look after her if he's 3 times over the limit, Seems the anti drink driving ad's should read only if your male between 17 and 50

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭shafty100

the family must be furious,considering this man had a previous conviction for dd and gets off so lightly ,and their son gone forever ,what an insult to the family

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"There are no winners here" ...

Id call walking out of court after killing someone while drunk in control of a car is a win !!!!
    Sober drivers saw that lad on his bike, while a drunk driver didn't . It is cut and dry really.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

i lost a brother because fo a drink driver,and the same as that sentace was laughable,and i can not even describe how much that hurts,as far as no winners here ya can be sure that greedy,ignorant excuse of a human that was driving is a winner,hes sitting at home with his wife.end off... as we have all stated second offence for drink driving.a pile of dirt is all he is..and nothing more.d.that family have the rest of there lives ruined,and a poor soul that lost there lives because of his pure greed....would make ya sick...theres only one side losing out here,and it aint that scumbag..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

It was a very bad night and the driver got hammered and took to the road (for at least the second time in his life) and knocked down an innocent kid killing him. He should have got jail regardless of the family's wishes. If he really cared about his wife he shouldn't have made a habit of drink driving. Leap is on a major thoroughfare, it ain't a little crossroads in the middle of nowhere. He's a menace and so is the judge now.

lolokeogh wrote: »
    i lost a brother because fo a drink driver

I'm so sorry to hear this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

I can see the logic in a suspended sentence if they don't want to punish the person he is caring for, but one year? One year for killing an 18 year old and previous drink driving convictions.
    If your going to hand down a suspended sentence make it count for something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

whiskeyman wrote: »

I totally disagree with the bolded. Would you be okay with suffering because of someone else’s crime?

He should have been jailed but that his wife would then suffer would be really awful.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Would you be okay with suffering because of someone else’s crime?

In theory, this should be a mitigating factor but in this case it seems he's hit the jackpot. If this man was jailed, it would have meant discomfort and not "suffering"

It's a terrible precedent that great responsibility can mean cart blanche for all kinds of scumbaggery.

Why are you posting nonsense?

Why are you making this story out to be something its not?

Its such a lowbrow thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Why are you making this story out to be something its not?

Its such a lowbrow thing to do.

Motorist disregards his dependants, and three times the limit kills young male cyclist. Motorist has previous DUI. Motorist gets very light sentence because of said dependents.

Whats not to be outraged about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

I have to say the government may as well fu*k there anti drink driving campaigns out the window,
    The judge should be ashamed, Honestly its horse sh*t about his sick wife, does that matter to the poor lad's family, what state is he in to look after her if he's 3 times over the limit, Seems the anti drink driving ad's should read only if your male between 17 and 50

True.

If she is being used, quite literally , as his get out of jail free card, Why was he down the pub and not at home with her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I totally disagree with the bolded. Would you be okay with suffering because of someone else’s crime?

He should have been jailed but that his wife would then suffer would be really awful.

If you are using a person who is ill as a mitigating factor to get off a sentence, what would happen if the same person had a load of scumbags criminals as family members? If this man had a wife who was a jailbird would we use it as an excuse to jail him? I very much doubt it.

It should be a reason for him to behave responsibly not as carte blanche to kill teenagers on his way home from the pub.

• Advertisement

Motorist disregards his dependants, and three times the limit kills young male cyclist. Motorist has previous DUI. Motorist gets very light sentence because of said dependents.

Whats not to be outraged about?

Don't bother, poster is obviously just trying to stir the ****

Advertisement