Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My WEBSDr Is Now Online.

Comments

thanks for that if I get a chance I’ll check it out tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,441 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Saudi is there now on 1440 kHz, subject to fading. Probably as far away as Canada but they have massive power. Region 2 stations are limited to 50 KW generally, and 5 or 10 is common.

Channels like 540, 630 and 1440 which are divisible by both 9 and 10 will be useless for any Region 2 reception. But any 10 kHz channel which is 2 kHz or more away from a 9 kHz channel is worth checking.

- IARU Region 1: Europe, Africa, the Middle East and Northern Asia

- IARU Region 2: The Americas

- IARU Region 3: Asia-Pacific

Unfortunately the satellite receiver is on and the PSU is causing a lot of noise on MW. As soon as herself goes to bed I'll switch it off.

I'll order a clean linear supply from the same chap in china in the next couple of weeks. I'm still amazed as to how far it is away from the SDR and it still creates such noise !!!

Have you any links for those power supplies?

Just had a thought. Would you not be able to hear the same as me on your own online receiver. No interference here, none there?

Just had a thought. Would you not be able to hear the same as me on your own online receiver. No interference here, none there?

I thought you were listening to mine ? :D

• Advertisement

CBG Gander Newfoundland can be heard on your receiver even this early. 1400 kHz with only 4 KW power listed. Stay on the frequency for a while to allow for fading. It will get stronger overnight. It was carrying the same CBC programme as the station on 750 kHz I think last night. AMN is the best mode at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭thelordgod

I had a brief listen this evening - nice job.

Satellite Receiver is off a while now which will get rid of most of the noise on MW. The EV is plugged in so this will cause some noise until I plug it out.

Here's the person on Ebay I got the power supplies from. ( sep_store168 )

Just email him with what you're looking for , for instance I asked for quote for 2 Linear power supplies 1x 12v 2 amp for the broadband modem and 1 x 5v 3 amp for the SDR.

Of course you need to find out what other dirty switch mode power supplies you have and replace them also. I'm fortunate that the power supply for the satellite receiver is external so I can easily replace it, it needs 12v 3.5 amp supply.

Also be aware that he uses DHL and DHL pay the customs which can be a lot, I don't know how they base these figures on but anyway try to get him to use a different courier and if customs catch it at the Airport then they will contact you and you have a better chance to deal with them directly but DHL could couldn't care less.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/15W-Regulated-PSU-DC-Linear-power-supply-LPS-5V-6V-7V-9V-12V-15V-18V-24V-L165-83-/112007718135

This is his store.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/sepstore168/

I didn't hear any U.S/Canadian stations but I did see carriers on 1380, 1390 Khz but they were too weak.

There's a huge amount of very strong Spanish stations causing a lot of interference to British stations. I never remember Spanish stations being that strong before.

• Advertisement

If you get the chance again concentrate on 590, 750 and 1400. They were all very weak last night and like I said earlier there will be nights with no reception. You need to stay on the frequency for 10 minutes or so. They can go from nothing to very clear due to fading.

Cheers, I'm working the next 4 nights starting tonight so I'll get plenty of opportunity to check it out.

All the noise on MW now and some other bands is the electric car plugged in, the charge point is the clear issue hear and I will not be able to replace it until I get the new EV next February and maybe a bit after.

Cheers, I'm working the next 4 nights starting tonight so I'll get plenty of opportunity to check it out.

Since about 20 years ago the MW band in the US and some other countries was extended to 1700 kHz, the so called X Band. Worth checking out the 10 kHz channels there. They tend to be lower power but are free from European QRM except for the occasional pirates. I could only hear a couple of very faint signals over the last few nights.

I always use headphones for this type of listening.

I hear a station on 15030 Khz, very strong at times but as usual an interfering station. I don't know what station, seems to be talk radio in the USA, amazing.

Conditions were bad this last couple of nights. The only reception was on 1400 kHz, very weak. A lot stronger this evening. If you keep listening there you will hear Canada at some stage.

I am getting used to the controls. Increase the Manual Gain for weak signals but there is a compromise between signal and noise. It will overload the receiver if the same setting is used for a strong signal. Adjust the Waterfall (WF) controls to show clear evidence of carriers at 10 kHz intervals.

1530 is a European as well as an Americas channel, divides by 9 and 10.

Yep I've heard some stations, on 1530 I think it was I heard a strong signal the other night , seemed like an American talk radio station.

Best signal for a while tonight on 1400 kHz from Canada. But the signal can fade out and back in again.

1400 is strong again and the same programme is running on 750 weaker. There is a station also on 1390. It could be worth checking other 10 kHz channels as well. Everything subject to fading.

Yep hear them now and again.

• Advertisement

12V 3.5 amp linear ordered for the satellite receiver to eliminate some interference to the LW/MW band, should be one of the quietest SDR receivers available on line then , apart from when I've the car plugged in but that's not nearly as bad as a filthy switch mode PSU !

Your receiver gets a brief mention in the lastest DX Listening Digest.

http://www.w4uvh.net/dxld1740.txt

Ctrl F and search for Ireland.

Your receiver gets a brief mention in the lastest DX Listening Digest.

http://www.w4uvh.net/dxld1740.txt

Ctrl F and search for Ireland.

Savage, cheers for that. :D

Hopefully the linear arrives soon for the Satellite receiver, should make MW a lot quieter especially during the day when MW stations are weaker.

There is another receiver in Castlebar, I don't know if it is new. The Spanish stations are not as strong there and I got some good reception of Canada on medium wave. I just heard a Brazilian station on 760 kHz which has been reported in Europe regularly.

http://kiwisdr.home.minish.org:8073/

ZYH588 Rádio Uirapurú 760 kHz, Fortaleza, Brazil

Yep it's new, heard it and it does seem to be a lot noisier ?

sometimes stronger signals but that's signal + noise. I've heard signals in mine that are buried in noise on the Castlebar one having said that, maybe he changed his antenna ? people do tend to do a lot of tinkering with antennas. I don't have the time lol.

I must give it a listen again later tonight.

Not on-line now, perhaps he turns it off at night to save power !

Ok he's online via the link.

Definitely noisier on 80 meters, Noise S5 and under 3 on mine, signal higher but so is noise.

No stir on top band.

Noise on both sdr's is under 3 on 40 meters S 7 on mine and S 9

His is pulling in an U.S amateur on 7188 and 7182 clearer than mine. 7182 is hardly audible on mine. So he's doing good on 40 meters, nice one !

On 49 meters broadcast , Radio Havana Cuba , their English Broadcast on 6 Mhz, both SDR's are pulling it in at + 9 +10.

Strangely enough on 41 meters broadcast, Radio Romania International, English Broadcast comes in at + 9 + 10 on his and + 10 - + 20 on mine which leads me to believe that he may have his antenna cut exactly to resonate on the 40 meter amateur band.

31 meters not much difference.

On 25 meters , `12025 VO Islamic Rep , Iran S 7 on his +9 on mine.

On LW, no comparison , BBC R4 , 198 Khz+ 7 his over +40 mine.

French station on 216 + over 20 mine under 7 his. It's the same throughout the LW band. Much higher signal on mine.

However , his is much quieter noise wise but the signals are so strong on LW on mine it doesn't seem to matter, the noise is probably more down to the preamp on mine, I can turn it down to medium and see what happens, I've done it before and almost immediately you can see the noise drop but so too the signal, might be worth a try.

ON MW mine seems to have higher signal and seems a lot quieter especially noticeable from 1600 Khz.

So yeah, his antenna is good , sometimes better, sometimes worse but My antenna is only 10 meters in length in sort of a loop in a tree. I'd like to know what antenna he is using ? Perhaps he has a contact email. I might email him later.

I must connect the 40 M Loop again to the SDR and see what happens. It won't be matched as I can't use the Bonito preamp as it will overload it. Though for receiving , matching and tuning isn't so important and not very practical for a WEBSdr.

My Bonito Loop seems to be much more resistant to static from lightning. I have the two SDR's open on two different monitors listening on top band and you can clearly see the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 ancl

Was curious to see if I could hear myself on 40M with a test CW signal inter-EI.

S7 on your SDR with 5W to a dipole in Trim.

Advertisement