Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cold Spell Forecasts and Synoptic Forecast Discussion - 26/11/1020 onwards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    temp: -1.4c
    dewpoint: -3.0
    Wind is picking up, but still NNW, waiting for that W to change to E

Looking at raintoday its gone NNE around here. The showers were coming directly from the north all evening. Not sure if that means anything for the east coast but theres definitely been a change here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Looks to me as though the showers out in the Irish sea which have been steadily going south all evening are now starting to move closer to the East coast...

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Saganist wrote: »
    Looks to me as though the showers out in the Irish sea which have been steadily going south all evening are now starting to move closer to the East coast...

:)

Been checking the radar on The BBC met office. The showers down along the east coast of Britain have just gone North easterly....Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

96-574.GIF?26-18

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

(please remove, post sent by mistake)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Vizual Pics

Lovely heavy snow in Castlebar, Co.Mayo now....what more could you want, a nice wood fire, the Late Late toy show and it tipping down heavy snow! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Owenc is sorely missed this year . . .much less entertaining.

Dropped to 0.1 earlier, depressingly rose to 0.7 but has thnkfully started to drop again to .5 and falling . . .just in case any showers wander around here . . .:P

LOC_20101126_2100.png

lots of snow for meath in this spell as a trough moves in from the east..

fax96s.gif

• Advertisement

18GFS has a completely different setup for Sunday, with a decent low over the country at 12, which could switch action from the east to the southwest.....

42_1.gif

lots of snow for meath in this spell as a trough moves in from the east..

Only problem is it's frontolysis, so it's dissipating all the while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Winger_PL wrote: »
    I don't think there's any point in doing a night watch for us on the east cost thought, I don't think there will be any significant precip until 4-5am.

Pretty much what I was thinking. Showers will probably start moving onshore in Eastern areas about 3am, fairly light at first, but as TBC said earlier they "should" get heavier closer to dawn.

By the way, hope people are prepared for the wind chill that will come with this change in wind direction in 3 or 4 hours. Your going to feel this in your bones tomorrow morning. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Depressing rise in temps here in the last while, got down to 0.9c but its clouded over and the temp now is 1.6c with a DP 0.2c. Very marginal for later :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Duiske wrote: »
    Pretty much what I was thinking. Showers will probably start moving onshore in Eastern areas about 3am, fairly light at first, but as TBC said earlier they "should" get heavier closer to dawn.

By the way, hope people are prepared for the wind chill that will come with this change in wind direction in 3 or 4 hours. Your going to feel this in your bones tomorrow morning. :)

And i hav to cycle to work in the morning at 9!.. i dont mind the cold ONCE THERE IS SNOW!... but ye on that note, work is getting in a pallet of ther own Grit for the week , AND , ready for it?.... A SNOWPLPOUGH, for the car park! ILL TAKE A PIC when it arrives! ha :)

Su Campu wrote: »
    Only problem is it's frontolysis, so it's dissipating all the while.
    Actually,I think it originates in the north sea and could well pep up over the irish sea.

In other news,winds at valley on anglesea and aberporth have veered north east

• Registered Users Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

somebody has an itch thay can't quite scratch:p

anyway i'm not liking that setup for sunday at all. i hope it doesn't come off.

Some almighty lightning visible off the coast of Arklow at the moment and distant rumbles!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Depressing rise in temps here in the last while, got down to 0.9c but its clouded over and the temp now is 1.6c with a DP 0.2c. Very marginal for later :mad:

Don't dispair MG, any snow that falls will pull that Dewpoint right down. Often when showers approach there is a mini surge of dewpoints, the shower may begin as sleet, but very quickly turn to snow. Have seen this many times before. You are close enough to the east coast to get the showers, but far enough for them not to be modified too much by the Irish sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Some almighty lightning visible off the coast of Arklow at the moment and distant rumbles!

OHH!! ...:eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Actually,I think it originates in the north sea and could well pep up over the irish sea.

The guys in Exeter say the opposite, that's why they show it dissipating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Temp has risen to -0.4 and dewpoint to -1.8, hope this stops before they go above zero or else were in trouble!

Is starting to cloud over now aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Just looked at the IWN there, the sst in hte irish sea is a degree higher than the atlantic. Any particular reason for this???

Su Campu wrote: »
    The guys in Exeter say the opposite, that's why they show it dissipating.
    Ah they're like michael fish,if it's heading towards Ireland,it disappears.
    Besides I thought that x denotes a little low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Iancar29 wrote: »
    OHH!! ...:eek::eek::eek:

The utterance of a true storm lover!! :D

Ah they're like michael fish,if it's heading towards Ireland,it disappears.
    Besides I thought that x denotes a little low.

No, it's frontolysis, ie. a decaying front.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Seen that myself out for a walk about 10 minutes ago and i'm on the west side of wexford town and i could see it clearly. Winds have shifted somewhat NE and you can see on the met radar the showers creeping closer to the east coast. I've a feeling it could be alot more active tonight than some people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

Bo***cks, was it not for a pint I've just had I'd be jumping into my car at this moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Temp is now risen to +0.2 dewpoint to -1.3.

Is this a tempory rise or will it keep rising as the showers make landfall?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Vizual Pics

Some of the heaviest snow I've seen in Castlebar in years....has being snowing constantly now for the past 2 hours! Heavy, then light grainy stuff and now very heavy again, a few inches here already and the night is young!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement