Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,809 ✭✭✭✭muffler

trio1984 wrote: »
    <SNIP>

Mod edit: Once is enough to post this.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 termon8r

Hi,

I am building a 4400 sq foot house (including basement) at the moment and it has come to the stage that I have to decide on the method of heating the house. The roof is going on the week after next, weather permitting of course. we have a naturla stone finish on the front and the 2gables and are delighted how it turned out. I was fully intending to install geo thermal heating system and received a quote of just under 30K to supply and fit heatmiser heatpump, horizontal collector, buffer tank, UFH upstairs and downstairs and stats in every room. However after discussing this with a few people over the Christmas I am not so sure.

Somebody told me that the heat pump needs to be replaces every 6-7 years. Also that it may be the case that the collector has to be moved to different area or ground after 10 years in order to maintain efficiency. I don't know how people knows this information since there are quite new in Ireland unless they have learned this from people abroad.

My wife is set on UFH therefore geo thermal seems to be the way to go. However 30K is a lot to splash out on a system that apparaently has to be maintained every 6-7 years. Has anybody heard of this or is this just people trying to turn me off the idea?

Any information woyukd be must welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭pubpub

Hi we are at the very early stages of our self build. Its approx 3000 sq foot in the Midlands. It took us nearly three years years to get planning but at last! I have just attached some attachments of plans and house -house appears to be similar to newbuild06's house. Very excited!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Hi all..
    We finally got the block-layer out just before Christmas its taken us 1 year to get from planning application to this stage, I'm optimistically planning to be complete in June....' ish, timber is on site and roofing will start on Monday (fingers crossed)..
    Cheers...

Front view:
    frontnk6.th.jpg

Rear View:
    backvx8.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭newbuild06

Hi pubpub
    yea yours looks very like ours, where abouts in the midlands are you based there seems to be alot of 1 1/5 storey houses going up at present. good luck with it all.

bbam
    blockwork looks good you seem to be flying along there hope it all goes well for you

we finally moved in before christmas its feels great to be living in the house, still no fire or stove in but the heating seems to be doing the job very well. A few more jobs to do on the inside and then we will be finsihed inside the house. We will then move onto the great outdoors Hope we have good weather this year.

nb06

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭jleavy

Good Day All,
    I'm a newbie (to the world of houses and building and stuff).

Right now I'm looking for all suggestions based on my key requirements:

I have land, 0.833 hectares or 2.058 acres on the OSI map (not in my name YET but its Mother to Son gift so should not be a problem I hope). The land is near Kells, Co. Meath.

I'm almost certain I'll go for timber frame, even if it costs more(?) and solar/wind. I am looking to build a single storey bungalow, 3bedrooms, 1 office, maybe gym/play room and a large bathroom.

Privately (via PM) I'd like to know any recommendations on a timber frame provider who perhaps you have experience of. Do I need my own architect or is it better to go with a architect from the timber frame company?

I know I need to think about planning and all that stuff before I go to a timber frame guy, but I need to get ball park figures to see if the banks will give me the backing I need.

Is there any Timber Frame or architectural trademarks I should look?

Money spent so far: €300 to get land seperated on to new OSI map. (rip off?)

EDIT: Do people normally put CAT5/6 cabling in houses?

jleavy wrote: »
    Good Day All,
    I'm a newbie (to the world of houses and building and stuff).

Right now I'm looking for all suggestions based on my key requirements:

I have land, 0.833 hectares or 2.058 acres on the OSI map (not in my name YET but its Mother to Son gift so should not be a problem I hope). The land is near Kells, Co. Meath.

I'm almost certain I'll go for timber frame, even if it costs more(?) and solar/wind. I am looking to build a single storey bungalow, 3bedrooms, 1 office, maybe gym/play room and a large bathroom.

Privately (via PM) I'd like to know any recommendations on a timber frame provider who perhaps you have experience of. Do I need my own architect or is it better to go with a architect from the timber frame company?

I know I need to think about planning and all that stuff before I go to a timber frame guy, but I need to get ball park figures to see if the banks will give me the backing I need.

Is there any Timber Frame or architectural trademarks I should look?

Money spent so far: €300 to get land seperated on to new OSI map. (rip off?)

EDIT: Do people normally put CAT5/6 cabling in houses?

First of all welcome to the forum.

The great debate of timber frame vs blocks & mortar still rages on and all Im saying is that Im a traditionalist and stick with the heavy stuff. Why I say that is that I dont really know what way the tf companies operate when it comes to engaging an architect. I imagine that most of them will have their own technicians/draughtsmen but its doubtful if they have architects although Im open to correction on that.

You will most likely need your own architect/engineer/technician for the planning process and then at construction stage you will need someone to supervise the construction, issue stage payment certs for mortgage and finally sign off on the project. Even if you dont have a mortgage you would be strongly advised to have someone there just to cover you for the future.

Most people now will put all cabling (cat5 etc) in at construction stage together with wiring for surround sound speakers etc (piped throughout the house even). Built in vacuam systems etc etc etc

€300 for a transfer map :eek: - I must shoot the fees up a bit ;)

Thanks for asking that recommendations be sent via PM - saves me the bother of posting that.

Good luck with it all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jendavnlillie

We have just submitted plans and are currently discussing (rowing..) if we should try and project manage ourselves, get in the local tradesmen for each individual job or just hire a contractor to do the whole thing. We understand there could be alot of savings to be made by doing it ourselves but is it worth the months of stress and arguments???
    Any thoughts?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Hi jendavnlillie

There are a number of threads about project delivery methods - it's almost a religious divide between the contractor method and direct labour.

One option you might consider is to do a shell build - i.e. you have a contractor to build you a watertight shell and then you do source and 2nd fix electrics, plumbing etc. yourself. You can vary what's in or out of the scope of the contractor.

My only advice would be that if you have no experience of building or construction you'll find the coordination aspects of the direct labour route very hard - based on the experiences of friends of ours. We did a shell build BTW.

Good luck.
    SSE

• My only advice would be that if you have no experience of building or construction you'll find the coordination aspects of the direct labour route very hard - based on the experiences of friends of ours. We did a shell build BTW.

Good luck.
    SSE
    That's very true if you are time or money(rent) conscious, we had a mobile home on site so therefore under less pressure, there were frequent gaps in our build schedule, but these were more cash-flow related than sequencing issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Hello all. Compliments on all the information and experience shared here. We have full planning for a 320sq mtr modern style new home which we intend to start building in late march. We have been long time lurkers but feel it is time to put our case to the masses. All advice and comments will be appreciated and we will commit to sharing our progress to completion or the mental hospital, whichever comes first.:)

We intend to use 4" on the flat concrete block for all external and structural walls. All insulation will be external and this is our first question, what type. Phenolic board is the obvious but we are leaning towards a dry pumped wood based pulp in an external cavity formed using a type of insulating board fixed to spacing batten which will be appx 200 off the block. looking for u value .15 (hope I'm understood, pm me for details). The board will then be rendered/clad. We intend to retain a contractor for all site works, foundation and rising walls. We will not use UFH but 150mm kingspan in floor with powerfloated totally smooth finished floor (ground) before any rising walls start. We will spend appx 15k getting a kacheloven (tile oven biofire.ie type) from an austrian company as our primary space heat source and are totally at a loss what water/automatic heating to use. Want to go eco but am leaning towards oil (already have the boiler in existing house). Dont understand and cant afford Geo Therm. Investigated wind but although rural, on the side of a mountain, and really suitable (space wise) am not convinced they do what it says on the tin and worried about maintainence for moving parts. Like and believe in solar but feel i need a more on/off system on timer. Any thoughts on heat recovery ventilation systems, they seem to be the buzz word at the moment and I dont understand how they work:confused:

Roof will be built by same people as outsulation, german guys (pm for details) and to the same spec. Really trying for A2 rating but oil and love of open fire working against us. Plan is to build structure, roof it, window it ( timber framed, combnation double and triple glazed some argon some crypton filled glazed units, (I am in the business) delivering appx .9u value overall)). Objective is to achieve a seriously energy efficent house.

So would love comments especially on the single leaf outsulated structure, comon Syd I have read all your comments and so far big respeck! Elected to steer away from 215mm cavity block as worried about loadbearing for concrete first floor and confusion of using different types of block for structure. No internal wall insulation in order to maximise thermal mass,

Worries are about airtightness in block, correct selection for outsulstion, coldbridging from rising walls to foundation, heating system, steelite type lintles for big corner windows, (dont really like them and have not worked out how they will integrate with outsulation).

We are on a budget, a tight one and are trying to get structure built, sealed, plastered, cladded, insulated, and heatable (kacheloven) for about 200k. Then take a breather. Very clever and simple design, easy built easy roofed on a spectaluar site (pm for plans if interested)

It might be of note to mention that we are living on site in our existing house which will come down when we move in to the new house, so a major pressure is taken off us in the form of time and rent etc. Also elect and water on site;)

Hope not too much of a ramble but its where our heads are at,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 odonoso

Hi All

I am new to the site. I am currently building a 2800 sq foot split level house in Co Waterford. I no real problem with planning except they would allow be build a balcony. My block work should be finish in about two weeks weather permitting. I have concrete floor upstairs and I was wondering had body any
    experience in battoning the concrete slab for the plaster board or is the other alternatives. Has any body put a concrete stairs in the house

Hi odonoso

Welcome to boards.

We have a concrete first floor with a wooden battened ceiling and p'board. It's battened down about 3 3/4 inches - note that this ISN'T enough for standard GU10 spot fittings if you want those.

There are other alternatives - I think there's a metal framework which you can use and you run your services in the void above. Don't have any details, sorry.

We have a concrete poured in-situ stairs. Quite an undertaking, signed-off by engineer etc. In time this will have oak treads on it.

blackiebest - HRV is an alternative to passive ventilation (trickle vents/wall vents). Warm, moist air is extracted from bathrooms, laundries and passed through a heat exchanger which transfers a %age of the heat to the incoming, fresh air which is piped to the living areas. Things to check - boost function for after showers etc., insulated ducting, summer option (no heat exchange). We have this too and it's great - moisture control, fresh air with little heat loss. These systems work better the more airtight your house.

SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 43 kilinick

Hoping for planning Mid Feb. 2700sq ft dormer. Cavity built. Getting quotes from local builders. Definitley going solar but no price for it yet. Not sure about wood pellets or heat pump and underfloor. Mixed reports on them. Got a pcsum of 6500euro for electrical work and 4000 for a staircase. Wondering if this is realistic. Going with a builder to do the lot as the houses he does seem very good and we are 60 miles away so project managing would be difficult.... Looking forward to getting started. Builder estimates about 6months...

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Slates

Hi odonoso

Welcome to boards.

We have a concrete first floor with a wooden battened ceiling and p'board. It's battened down about 3 3/4 inches - note that this ISN'T enough for standard GU10 spot fittings if you want those.

How much room is needed for these spotlights ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭getfit

kilinick - As it's rare for me to contribute to this forum (usually getting advice) I try to help with a price on solar. I received a quote for a system with a 400ltr tank and 6m2 of panels - which is a fairly good sized system. The delivery and instilation came to €5,800 (incl VAT) for an on roof system (pretty much on top of the roof tiles/slates) and €6,000 (incl VAT) for an integrated roof system (roof tiles laid around it - fully integrated into the roof)

The quote stated that the SEI Grant of €1,500 could be deducted from both quotes.

There were optional extras (which did seem like extras - not half necessary things) like 3rd coil in the tank for a solid fuel connection for €170 (the tank had a the solar coil and a main central heating coils as standard).

All in it can be done for €4,300 min. But it seems like €4,500 would be a good ball park.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 kilinick

Thanks for the price advice Getfit.

Just got our second builders quote in which is about 20k dearer than the first....
    He has a pc sum for electrical of 9.5k as opposed to 6.5k of previous builder.

Slates - we'd have needed to batten down to 6"/150mm to give sufficient headroom. There may be others with a lower requirement.

kilinick - builders always estimate six months! Loft conversion? Six months. Extension? Six months. 4500ft2 house? Six months.......

Remember a builder will put in a profit on PC sums.

SSE

Thanks sunnysoutheast for the infomation

Does anybody else know anyting about the metal framework that can be used for suspending plaster board;)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Jollyman

odonoso wrote: »
    Thanks sunnysoutheast for the infomation

Does anybody else know anyting about the metal framework that can be used for suspending plaster board;)

This is one version of the metal framing to provide a suspended ceiling its the most common used as far as i know.

http://www.lafargeplasterboard.co.uk/products/systems/floors/con_suspended.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 BoylerMan

Odonoso,

Gypsum do a system for suspended plasterboard ceilings called Gypframe. Chadwicks sell it as do others. I recently put it in our house which has concrete hallow core slabs upstairs. It is a lot of work. Firstly a channel has to be fixed along the perimeter walls a the height you want the ceilings (using as laser level). Then you mark the centers for the cross supports and drill for the support brackets. Initially we tried using a nail gun but this proved more time consuming and wasteful. That is most of the work. Putting up the cross support channels and leveling then is the easy part. It does do a good job though and the finished ceiling is very level. I'd imagine it would be impossible to get as good a finish with timber battons.

I have attached some details on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Slates

BoylerMan wrote: »
    Odonoso,

Gypsum do a system for suspended plasterboard ceilings called Gypframe. Chadwicks sell it as do others. I recently put it in our house which has concrete hallow core slabs upstairs. It is a lot of work. Firstly a channel has to be fixed along the perimeter walls a the height you want the ceilings (using as laser level). Then you mark the centers for the cross supports and drill for the support brackets. Initially we tried using a nail gun but this proved more time consuming and wasteful. That is most of the work. Putting up the cross support channels and leveling then is the easy part. It does do a good job though and the finished ceiling is very level. I'd imagine it would be impossible to get as good a finish with timber battons.

I have attached some details on it..
    What are the costs like using this system ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

i got a price for metal framework for a suspended ceiling.
    i ended up putting in a floating timber ceiling (runner on each wall and then ran 4X2's across without it touching the hollowcore at 16inch centres).
    it worked out to be two thirds of the cost of the metal suspended ceiling.
    i have seen metal suspended ceilings and they can be very "wavey" looking as the metal is easily twisted or pushed up.

this may not be suitable for large spans but any chippie can check their load and span tables for max spans with certain sizes of timber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 BoylerMan

It cost about 900 Euro for the materials as I recall which is for about a 100m2 area of ceiling. Its not cheap but the finished job is excellent. Again, it takes time to do it correct. A good laser level is essential as each clip must be checked when screwing the clips to the channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

Added engineers drawings for the basement specification to the blog, gives detail on foundations and steel list.

http://watergate-house.blogspot.com

Would it be worth uprating the insulation to 2 x 50mm ?

baud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 roots982

i am about to start my self build, also in roscommon, does anyone know why roscommon has such high council fees compared to most countys in the rest of the country

roots982 wrote: »
    i am about to start my self build, also in roscommon, does anyone know why roscommon has such high council fees compared to most countys in the rest of the country
    Have a look here and here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mudz

hi all, am new to this so not too sure if am posting in the right place. We are starting a self build in March, block walls with outsulation, 1 1/2 storey. We plan to heat with a Kacheloven tile stove and then oil rads for backup. I am confused about ventilation issues and am wondering if you can ventilate sufficiently without having a mechanical system. I have read about passive stack ventilation. I am finding it very confusing, we are planning to use breathable insulation on our walls and roof. Any advice appreciated thanks.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,944 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

bauderline wrote: »
    Added engineers drawings for the basement specification to the blog, gives detail on foundations and steel list.

http://watergate-house.blogspot.com

Would it be worth uprating the insulation to 2 x 50mm ?

baud.

bauderline, i assume you will be insulating inside the basement walls?
    you will have a significant cold bridge where the floor slabs (?) touch both the reinforced basement wall and the outer blockwork. An idea here would be to ensure 50mm insulation along the face of the slabs.

• Advertisement

Hi All

Just got two quotes for the labour for my roof There was 6500 in the difference in the two quotes. Alot of money

Advertisement