Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,811 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Yea the wall goes along the front of the site and then down each side as far as level with the back of the house - we'll fence the rest.

All that stone came from the original wall and out of the site when we dug the foundations. There's probably all that again lying out the back. :)
    Just a quick question. How much approximately per metre did your wall cost to make?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Quazzie wrote: »
    Just a quick question. How much approximately per metre did your wall cost to make?

The quote we got was 20 quid per metre. I also had to supply sand and cement for the pillars and parts of the wall that were up against a bit of a bank. They hid the cement in the middle though so it still looks like a dry-stone wall from the outside.

All in all there's 120 metres there. 70m across the front and the other 50 were each side of the house combined.

The stone I already had from a mix of the existing dry wall that was there and the stone that came up from the foundations.

Two 7ft lengths of box section were needed for each pillar too for load-bearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,811 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The quote we got was 20 quid per metre. I also had to supply sand and cement for the pillars and parts of the wall that were up against a bit of a bank. They hid the cement in the middle though so it still looks like a dry-stone wall from the outside.

All in all there's 120 metres there. 70m across the front and the other 50 were each side of the house combined.

The stone I already had from a mix of the existing dry wall that was there and the stone that came up from the foundations.

Two 7ft lengths of box section were needed for each pillar too for load-bearing.

That's a great price for a wall that looks so beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Thats an unbelievable price for a super well built wall, i asked a local mason/ dry waller to give me a price to put a stone face around a small block built house that i have which houses the hydro turbine using field stones and ones from old wallsteads on the farm. the house is 10ft long at the sides x 8 ft high and the two ends are 8ft wide. He wanted £3000 cash - think i'll do it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭New build in sight

July 7th 2012 start date,

Havent had a minute to post recently, but we are now in the process of painting, after a few weeks of stopage time as we were getting married :)

So after a few weeks away were back on track, the stairs is in and looks beautiful. Kitchen en route, we expect it fitted this weekend, kitchen appliances picked and hoepfully delivered next week.

Site has been levelled and looks really well.

Were also on budget which is amazing, we still have our last cheque to draw down on, they held 10% as expected. But were doing OK but still will need that last amount for final furnishings etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭about2build

new build in sight- make sure your stairs is well covered/protected as trademen have been known to drop hammers etc and not to be the most graceful of individuals:D

Getting there now. Should be spending our first night in the place week after next. Most joinery done - all doors hung but some have to come off and be replaced thanks to some weird staining on them. Bit of a mare with the builder over it but I'm not accepting them and that's that.

Floor tiles are done. Bathrooms getting done now. Laminate floors laid in 3 rooms today.

HRV installed and looks like something out of star trek. Delighted with the job. All seams and pipe work seems very tidily done:

Kitchen is mostly in bar the island, Utility is fully in. Waiting on tiler before I get the plumber back to install the heat pump and sanitary ware. Stone fireplace surround is being built.

Site works started proper yesterday. Treatment system and septic tank installed today and finishing tomorrow or monday.

Alarm installed too so I can sleep at night.

I'm handing out cheques like skittles. Scary how quickly it can go out when you have 7 vans parked in and around the site. Everyone's been available when I've needed them to be too so got lucky there. Plumber and spark worked into the night for me on Tuesday to get their two ends tied together which was brilliant.

In the end game now. 3 and a half years since we were offered the site over dinner by her parents - hard to believe it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Paudi04

Getting there now. Should be spending our first night in the place week after next. Most joinery done - all doors hung but some have to come off and be replaced thanks to some weird staining on them. Bit of a mare with the builder over it but I'm not accepting them and that's that.

Floor tiles are done. Bathrooms getting done now. Laminate floors laid in 3 rooms today.

HRV installed and looks like something out of star trek. Delighted with the job. All seams and pipe work seems very tidily done:

Kitchen is mostly in bar the island, Utility is fully in. Waiting on tiler before I get the plumber back to install the heat pump and sanitary ware. Stone fireplace surround is being built.

Site works started proper yesterday. Treatment system and septic tank installed today and finishing tomorrow or monday.

Alarm installed too so I can sleep at night.

I'm handing out cheques like skittles. Scary how quickly it can go out when you have 7 vans parked in and around the site. Everyone's been available when I've needed them to be too so got lucky there. Plumber and spark worked into the night for me on Tuesday to get their two ends tied together which was brilliant.

In the end game now. 3 and a half years since we were offered the site over dinner by her parents - hard to believe it really.

looking good, just one question... did you hook up the extractor fan over the cooker with the MHRV in the kitchen or take the hit on the air tightness and pipe it outside. i cant decide which to do... hearing so many pros n cons for both..

Paudi04 wrote: »
    looking good, just one question... did you hook up the extractor fan over the cooker with the MHRV in the kitchen or take the hit on the air tightness and pipe it outside. i cant decide which to do... hearing so many pros n cons for both..

Bought an island hood with recirculation kit - uses charcoal I believe. Bosch kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Paudi04

Bought an island hood with recirculation kit - uses charcoal I believe. Bosch kit.

thanks, arch is telling me to use that kit and kitchen man said his experience is that when you use these that the MHRV ends up sending the "chippy-like" smell throughout the whole house. Thanks for the reply. I think ill use charcoal filters too.:D

• Advertisement

thanks, arch is telling me to use that kit and kitchen man said his experience is that when you use these that the MHRV ends up sending the "chippy-like" smell throughout the whole house. Thanks for the reply. I think ill use charcoal filters too.:D

If it does then your HRV isn't doing its job. The exhaust air should never mix with the fresh air. Only the heat should be exchanged.

Also the charcoal should take care of most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Nicely sized kitchen

• Subscribers Posts: 40,981 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

as has been said, if this happens it a serious fault with the system.

the intake and exhaust pipes should be located at a remove from each other so that this doesnt happen.

it cannot happen internally as the fresh incoming air never mixes with the stale outward air.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yoloc

nealger wrote: »
    Plasterers finished outside, and first floor almost completely skimmed inside. Insulated slabs will be finished today, just the kitchen left to complete downstairs. Stone masons getting on well considering the weather over the last few days. Pricing the kitchen and stairs at the moment. Buget getting tight me thinks! Watste water system and rainwater system in just working on the pipework around the house the last couple of days. Busy busy busy!

Does the stone come pre cut like that on the wall ?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

yoloc wrote: »
    Does the stone come pre cut like that on the wall ?
    Yes, it can come either way depending on the look you are going for and how much you wish to spend on the stone.

Build start date 7th July 2012

We're finally in, we've been in. Now 2 weeks! I can't believe we did it, I still can't believe it's ours.

A few things left to do;

Internal doors and skirting. We're finding it hard to find a stockist of the door we want in stock.
    One room is not yet complete which is the office. That's going to be a project.
    Garage to be fully kitted out.
    Landscaping, it has been levelled and sprayed so we probably won't do this until next spring.
    Alarm going in on Saturday, sky coming Thursday and we got broadband yday.
    So it's all starting to feel like home now;)

Good luck to everyone starting out!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Congrats and well done. I'm sure you're delighted at having crossed the finishing line. :)

You'll have to change your user name now ;)

muffler wrote: »
    Congrats and well done. I'm sure you're delighted at having crossed the finishing line. :)

You'll have to change your user name now ;)

If only that was a possibility! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Congrats and best of luck with the new house. If nothing else I'd advise sprinkling grass seed where you're sprayed off. Other wise you'll have a nice growth of anything and everything by next Spring ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yoloc

think its best to sow grass seed in sept anyway but have you already killled of all the unwanted growth

• Advertisement

Is spraying an absolute necessity? Was just going to throw lots of seed down.

Moved in today. That feeling of hot water out of the tap in our lovely new kitchen was hard to beat until our first cup of tea.

Still plenty to be done but we're in. 10 months since we broke soil.

Moved in today. That feeling of hot water out of the tap in our lovely new kitchen was hard to beat until our first cup of tea.

Still plenty to be done but we're in. 10 months since we broke soil.
    Delighted to hear you got over the threshold. Congrats and well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

muffler wrote: »
    Delighted to hear you got over the threshold. Congrats and well done :)
    +1, and many more enjoyable cuppas to come :D

Cleaned out the house as much as we could over the weekend to get rid of dust. Centralised vacuum has already paid for itself as far as I'm concerned.

We have some exposed concrete floors awaiting carpet a little bit down the line when the internal work is finished. Considering sealing these floors in the mean time but not sure where to start. Most of the info I try to find on google seems to apply to driveways etc. Anyone able to recommend a internal sealant. Should have done it yonks ago throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sterling10

Someone told me to paint the cement floors to stop the dust. Said cheap paint will do. I didn't, and even with carpets, tiles and floors down, i still get dust! Not sure if anyone will agree?

A few years ago after building a small shed I was tortured with the dust as the kids would be out playing in it and would return a ghostly grey colour......their clothes anyhow ;)

I threw some Thompsons water seal on the floor and just spread it with a mop and never looked back. But that stuff is too expensive though.

There are a few products on the market and if you go to your local builders providers or paint/DIY shop they will sort you

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭manufan16

Cleaned out the house as much as we could over the weekend to get rid of dust. Centralised vacuum has already paid for itself as far as I'm concerned.

We have some exposed concrete floors awaiting carpet a little bit down the line when the internal work is finished. Considering sealing these floors in the mean time but not sure where to start. Most of the info I try to find on google seems to apply to driveways etc. Anyone able to recommend a internal sealant. Should have done it yonks ago throughout.

I used SMET universal floor primer- my floors are made of the hemi hydrate screed but I would say this would work the same on concrete floors.
    I found a mop best to apply it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 vfitzpatrick

Our house is almost ready to move in.. We went with a timber framed house and we have finished putting down flooring downstairs on the concrete.

However I see a lot of dust upstairs even though the floor is wooden (from the frame). We were going to just leave it this way on the landing until we can afford to finish everything.

Don't think that is an option now.. it's pretty bad!

Would that primer work on the wood??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well it's almost 2 months now since I moved into our home, we are still finishing it and will be many years, we have only completed the downstairs bedrooms as the master bedroom upstairs is very large and will require funds to finish it.

Every morning I open the door to the kitchen/living/dining space below I get a smile at we have built, I love the light!
    9714050359_acee349505_b.jpg

As we move from Summer into Autumn and temps begin to drop I'm very interested in how the building will perform, I spent as much time and money as I could on insulation and air tightness and also have PIV Ventilation system.

As a weather nut I have a lot of interest in temperature and I already have some stats in place with more on the way and so far performance is better than I thought.

Last Friday night the outside Min temp was 7.2c and Saturday the outside Max temp was 11c. The room above dropped to a low of19.7c at 08:30 and then climbed to 21c with very little if any clear sunshine meaning no heating was required.

Today for example the min temp in the room was 18.7c while it got down to 7.6c last night and it has already climbed to 21.1c today which is pretty dull.

I will monitor performance over the coming months and update in a separate thread

Advertisement