Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Putting a dog down during Covid

• 23-09-2020 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Hi has anyone been in the unfortunate position of having to put a pet down during Covid times, were you allowed in the room? My vet doesnt allow you in for consults and we might be in the position of having to do this in the next few days and I forgot to ask.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

lashes34 wrote: »
    Hi has anyone been in the unfortunate position of having to put a pet down during Covid times, were you allowed in the room? My vet doesnt allow you in for consults and we might be in the position of having to do this in the next few days and I forgot to ask.

Thanks

I had to put my girl down in may. We were in an outside shed at vets an myself and wife were allowed to be there. Wish you the best at this very difficult time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Thanks

What about asking your vet to carry out a home visit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

We had to have our dear little cat put down after a car accident in May, for are initial meeting they wouldn't let us in the clinic, but to say goodbye we were brought into a room and allowed some time to say goodbye, we were allowed stay until after he had passed. This was in the UCD Veterinary Clinic.

It was really important for us to say goodbye, my heart would have broken if we weren't able to be there for him :(

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

Yes thought of a home visit too but I don't know what's allowed or what they will do. Thanks for the replies

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It might also be possible for it to be done outside the clinic in your car op, if that's a place your pet is happy.
    Sorry to hear you're in this dreaded situation. Good luck :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Sorry about your pet OP :( I’m thankful that this wasn’t all happening last year when my girl was sick. I’m in Dublin and our vets have scaled back their services again (so no home visits).. however I was brought in after a checkup yesterday for a chat with the vet - and was in an actual examination room(!). So i assume they have exceptions?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

lashes34 wrote:

Well that's just sh1t, I'm really sorry, poor doggie

• Registered Users Posts: 21,417 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Two vets here in Bray that I'm aware of prefer if you don't enter the surgery, and do the whole handover in the car park thing, but if you want to they allow only one person (18+) in wth the pet, face masks and hand sanitization required, asked not to hold the pet unless asked etc.

Thanks everyone, if it comes to it and our vet wont allow us in (and to hold him) I will find someone who will. I wont let him go on his own after 10 years with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I had to have one of mine put to sleep a couple of weeks ago. Two vet nurses carried him in, they got him settled then I was allowed in. He went to sleep after eating roast beef and with me holding him.

My vet isn't allowing people in for normal consultations, had to take Riley in on Tuesday, handed him over at the door and then collected him.

So even if your vet isn't allowing you in for normal consultations, hopefully they will for the last one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Not sure where you're based OP but I use a wonderful vet near the Dublin/Meath border, on the Meath side. They are currently letting people in with their pets. Feel free to PM if you want the name. Thinking of you and your dog at this tough time :(

Thanks everyone, if it comes to it and our vet wont allow us in (and to hold him) I will find someone who will. I wont let him go on his own after 10 years with us.

If you feel that the end is near, get a vet sorted sooner than later as you won’t be able for the added stress. Speak to your own vet first and go through all options with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I was at my vets a back in late April or early May and saw a couple on the lawn area to the side of the vets with their dog, they had set up a blanket on the sunshine and they vet came out to put him to sleep outside. It's out at a country vets, not easily visible to people, I thought it was a nice way to say goodbye.
    That was during the lockdown, and things have eased a little since then, so worth calling to find out options asap so you are prepared.

Thanks everyone, things have improved slightly and we are back at the end of the week for more tests so hopefully it wont come to it. Will ask the question though so I know for again.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

i had the vet yesterday to my house wear a mask and a decent vet will come to your house. They are out doing their calls everywhere in the country they have to to see to farm animals so a call out is possible. Explain the sensitivity and they will understand.

i had the vet yesterday to my house wear a mask and a decent vet will come to your house. They are out doing their calls everywhere in the country they have to to see to farm animals so a call out is possible. Explain the sensitivity and they will understand.

Not every vet in the county treats farm animals though - some of us are city slickers! My practice in Dublin has stopped a number of services including home visits due to us being at level 3

tk123 wrote: »
    Not every vet in the county treats farm animals though - some of us are city slickers! My practice in Dublin has stopped a number of services including home visits due to us being at level 3

surely some vet would do a visit on this occasion even if it was to put the dog down on the owners lawn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

We had to let our beautiful boy sleep at the start of the lockdown. Bit late to this thread I know, but wanted to share our experience.

Our lovely vet allowed the two of us into the room at the practice to say goodbye. We were there as the injections were administered. We were there to kiss him goodnight as he passed.

Vet let us spend as much time as we wanted with our boy. I think we stayed about 30 minutes as we couldn't bear to leave him (especially me!).

Collected his ashes, and got a lovely surprise when the nurses gave us a card with his paw print, dates and a glass bottle of his hair as well. That's now framed and hanging above our bed. I cannot thank the practice enough for their kindness and sensitivity. We have a new puppy now, and continue to use that vet. He's looked after our cat and dog and we've always had the best of treatment and care.

Hope this might help someone.

So the tests werent good but he is ok for the short-term. It will come to this sometime in the next few weeks or months. I asked the vet and he said we can absolutely come in when the time comes no matter what level of restrictions are in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

So the tests werent good but he is ok for the short-term. It will come to this sometime in the next few weeks or months. I asked the vet and he said we can absolutely come in when the time comes no matter what level of restrictions are in place.

So sorry to hear about the tests, but at least you know you can be there for him, xxxx

• Advertisement

so sorry to hear the news its alway heart breaking with our furry friends enjoy the time you have and take nice photos!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭scilover

i need to put my cat down as every single member of the house already left and afraidthat the cats will be left out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭con747

scilover wrote: »
    i need to put my cat down as every single member of the house already left and afraidthat the cats will be left out.

What do you mean?

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jandm

surely some vet would do a visit on this occasion even if it was to put the dog down on the owners lawn

Our own vets simply wouldn’t have the time, always busy with patients at the vet hospital. Sorry op to read about your dog, hoping that last injection won’t be necessary. One of ours was in a similar position last Christmas and still here thanks to the tablets to make her last week more comfortable. If anything happens, one person will be allowed to be with her as she goes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

We weren’t there because he deteriorated so quickly in the last few hours we just didn’t make it in time. That was something at the time I regretted hugely after 15 years of him being with us but the vet said after that it was better having my last memory as him being asleep in my arms rather than being as sick as he got.

Looking back he was su very correct

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

scilover wrote: »

I’d also like to know what this means. I certainly hope it’s not an attempt at ‘comedy’ in this serious thread.

OP sorry to hear about the tests. I’m relieved for you though that you have one less thing to worry about. We had the dilemma with Lucy that our vets was closed for 2 days over Christmas when she deteriorated. I had overheard that staff would be going in to check on borders and patients so left a note in the door. I ended up making an appointment with the vet around the corner which I haven’t gone to for years as they were open - was sooo worried that she’d be afraid if I didn’t take Bailey / that Bailey would be afraid setting foot in the place.. Luckily the owner of our vets saw my note and called me telling me to bring her in so we went there instead. Both walked in happy to be there. It was all very peaceful - the vet and nurse were just fantastic. I found when she was gone I didn’t want to see her like that so didn’t spend a long time? My one small regret was not cutting some of her fur to use for a keepsake like a bead etc. I did get paw prints from the vets though which are lovely to have. I ended up taking her fleece coat one day and sat plucking every hair off I could see and ended up with a little bag. With covid madness I never got around to getting something but have been looking and plan to get a bead each of hers and Baileys fur to have as a necklace.

Advertisement