Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

We've come of age. We have a second thread!

New day and all that...

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

bilston wrote: »
    We've come of age. We have a second thread!

New day and all that...

It's part of my attempt to move on from last night. Still not over it.

World Cup 23 for next season then.

15 Ludik
    14 Trimble/Gilroy
    13 Cave/McCloskey
    12 McCloskey/Marshall
    11 Gilroy/Scholes
    10 Humphreys
    9 Marshall
    1 Black
    2 Herring???
    3 Herbst
    4 Van Der Merwe
    5 Tuohy/Stevenson
    6 Diack
    7 Faloon
    8 Wilson

16 Andrew
    17 Warwick
    18 Lutton
    19 Stevenson/O'Connor
    20 Williams
    21 Rowley
    22 Windsor
    23 Marshall/Scholes/Arnold

That's based on current info on next season's squad. Guys like Trimble, Cave and Tuohy are borderline WC squad members. I think Best, Henderson, Henry, Jackson, Payne and Bowe are nailed on though.

I'd worry about that team against the likes of Leinster, Munster, Glasgow and Ospreys, although they will all be weakened too. Crucial we hit the ground running next season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Olding injury to last through the start of next season? Also what is windsor like at 10?

Olding injury to last through the start of next season? Also what is windsor like at 10?

Olding is out until 2016.

I have no idea about Windsor except that I think he has been injured for a lot of this season.

Peter Browne could be an interesting signing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

awec wrote: »
    It's part of my attempt to move on from last night. Still not over it.

Group hug? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Scythica

Zzippy wrote: »
    Group hug? ;)

If the FB group is anything to go by I think a group making Voodoo Doll session of Mata would be more appropriate. It's embarrassingly cringy there.

Scythica wrote: »
    If the FB group is anything to go by I think a group making Voodoo Doll session of Mata would be more appropriate. It's embarrassingly cringy there.

The supporters club facebook is always cringeworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ulster_Beef

The supporters club facebook is always cringeworthy.

Is the game on tv? What channel... Sky. Sky? Since when have sky started showing Ulster games? That's so unfair.

2 minutes later... Is the game on tv?

Don't get me started about that page haha

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

With Paddy Jackson likely to be included in the World Cup squad i was wondering if anyone heard a more to the rumours of
    Sean O'Hagan returning to England.

• Advertisement

Ulster are looking at Andrew Beerwinkel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Beerwinkel

Fantastic name to be fair.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Charles Piutau has certainly made things interesting for Kirwan in NZ today!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Charles Piutau has certainly made things interesting for Kirwan in NZ today!

Ooh, that's absolutely brutal...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The silence was deafening!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Ulster are looking at Andrew Beerwinkel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Beerwinkel

Fantastic name to be fair.

I'd be worried when it says he can play loosehead and Tighthead. ... so can Micheal bent and Dave Ryan. .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

blackdog1 wrote: »
    I'd be worried when it says he can play loosehead and Tighthead. ... so can Micheal bent and Dave Ryan. .

23 appearances this season on both sides of the scrum, including 4 starts in Europe.

He's one of the most useful players Leinster have ever signed!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

blackdog1 wrote: »

Except that Michael Bent can. He started 4 games in the ECC this season, 2 at each position. There were no real scrum problems at all in the Leinster scrum aside from the two games that Bent didn't start against Quins.

Players that can play both sides are getting rarer but still exist. I'd be dubious about someone being able to do it that's so inexperienced, though. Memories of Jack McGrath being able to pack down on either side and getting completely pretzeled against the Ospreys.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Buer wrote: »
    Players that can play both sides are getting rarer but still exist. I'd be dubious about someone being able to do it that's so inexperienced, though. Memories of Jack McGrath being able to pack down on either side and getting completely pretzeled against the Ospreys.

No one really considered Jack McGrath a TH (except for a couple of idiots in the media). Leinster had two injuries at TH and would have had to play a man short and go to uncontested if Jack didn't try. Depending on how the injuries healed they could have had to play a man short the following weak if McGrath wasn't deemed to have senior experience at TH to be able to go onto the bench. It was a young player being thrown in out of position in an emergency. Not someone able to play both sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

No one really considered Jack McGrath a TH (except for a couple of idiots in the media). Leinster had two injuries at TH and would have had to play a man short and go to uncontested if Jack didn't try. Depending on how the injuries healed they could have had to play a man short the following weak if McGrath wasn't deemed to have senior experience at TH to be able to go onto the bench. It was a young player being thrown in out of position in an emergency. Not someone able to play both sides.

Joe Schmidt played him at TH for ten minutes in Argentina, rather than risk Rodney Ah You disgracing himself again...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

emmet02 wrote: »
    23 appearances this season on both sides of the scrum, including 4 starts in Europe.

He's one of the most useful players Leinster have ever signed!

Bent is a very decent loosehead now and it took him a few seasons to get there. TH he's only average. He binds on the arm a lot to survive. People forget how bad bent was when he came here. Feek turned him into a decent prop but not a th. Ulster are looking for a Heineken cup standard prop like Herbst. No real international prop plays both sides for a reason.

• Advertisement

Average TH props are worth having in reserve! Bent is a good LH and more than a passable TH. That's an incredibly useful squad player to have.

If Beerwinkel is similar, that's a very very good signing for Ulster!

I don't think you'll be able to sign another TH like Herbst. I doubt it's even in consideration tbh!

Also; surely Ulster's quota of foreigners is full at this stage??

Herbst
    van der Merwe
    Williams
    Pienaar
    Ludik

There isn't room for him.

Also; surely Ulster's quota of foreigners is full at this stage??

We'll need to sign someone because of the premature retirement of Deccie Fitz.

We'll need to sign someone because of the premature retirement of Deccie Fitz.

It'll need to be an IQ player though, zero chance you get special dispensation for 2 NIQs above the limit!

Jamie Hagan?

emmet02 wrote: »
    It'll need to be an IQ player though, zero chance you get special dispensation for 2 NIQs above the limit!

Jamie Hagan?

Think it'll depend on who we can get more than anything. We need decent rather than squad filler, we already have enough useless props.

Yeah, if the story about the reduced NIQ quota is to be believed and if Ulster have been given a dispensation to exceed it, then they definitely won't be allowed sign yet another one.

Jamie Hagan is useless, he's not remotely an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

we need backrows also....!

without new players there, next season will be a repeat of this year.

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    we need backrows also....!

without new players there, next season will be a repeat of this year.

Ulster always need back rows.

It's a bit of a baffling one, to be honest. The one area of the team where they've been screaming out for a top class signing for years and have never made one. They've signed front rows, second rows, scrum halves, all sorts of backs but Nick Williams is the only significant back row signing I can recall in recent years and, lets be honest, he's pretty low profile relative to the others.

One big mean back row player and it would be a massive boost to them. Josh Strauss would be Irish qualified now if Ulster had convinced him to join the Belfast Boks.

There was Pedrie Wannenburg but he decided not to stick it out. Nick Williams looked like a man reborn when he arrived but wasn't able to sustain it. They would have hoped Wilson would have more of an impact too.

• Advertisement

Forgot about PW who, in fairness, was pretty high profile if a bit of a rogue.

Roger Wilson was never much more than an adequate team player, to my mind, but never someone that was going to particularly improve the side. He's the sort of player they've been bringing in when they need someone much better who could sit alongside the likes of Henry and Ferris.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement