Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank League 2015-2016 Talk/Gossip/Rumours

• 23-05-2015 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭

Big changes to the league this season with there now being five divisions of ten clubs from this season where there was two divisions of ten and two of sixteen. Referee panels for next season have been made but I don't know exact numbers from each province.... There is more than likely other coaching changes but theyre just the ones listed so far.

Divisions for next season:
    Division 1A
    Lansdowne, Terenure, Clontarf, Young Munster, Old Belvedere, UCD, Ballynahinch, Cork Constitution, Galwegians, Garryowen

Division 1B
    St Marys, Dolphin, Dublin University, Ballymena, Belfast Harlequins, Shannon, Buccaneers, UL Bohemians, Old Wesley, Blackrock College

Division 2A
    Malone, Corinthians, Skerries, Banbridge, Cashel, Queen's University, Naas, Thomond, Nenagh Ormond, UCC

Division 2B
    NUIM Barnhall, City of Derry, Rainey Old Boys, Dungannon, Seapoint, Bective Rangers, Highfield, Armagh, Greystones, Sunday's Well

Division 2C
    Tullamore, Midleton, Bruff, Sligo, Wanderers, Old Crescent, Navan, Kanturk, Boyne, Dundalk

Coaching changes
    DLSP - Phil Werahiko new Director of Rugby

Shannon - Marcus Horan new Head Coach, Ian Sherwin is Backs Coach

Ballynahinch - looking for Head/Backs Coach

Rainey Old Boys - Luke Marshall is the new Assistant Coach to Head Coach
    John Andrews who is taking over from current Head Coach Richard Boyd

Armagh - Alex McCloy new Head Coach with Willie Faloon new assistant coach

Dungannon - Andrew Hughes new Head Coach. Current Head Coach Nigel Brady stepping down to concentrate on pro rugby duties.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭turtleshead

Believe John S couldn't commit and had to step down, very happy with his replacement though has coached Queensland and Australia at under 20 level as well as coaching at Premier level in Queensland.

Referee panels for next season announced.
    Connacht up to 6 referees now in AIL panels and Helen O’Reilly has been promoted to the A Panel which is AIL Div1 and assistant referee in Pro12.

With UBL fixtures not usually released until the end of July the pre season comps are often drawn around this time. Any news on any of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Stainalert

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I love seeing AIL players make the step up to professionalism, as a club man and not someone that went to a rugby playing school I love to see it. Gives a huge percentage of rugby players a hope at attaining a career without going through the 'usual' school channels.

However, the only downside to it is, Clontarf are being plundered! Hard to see them competing if they keep dropping players to the provinces... Only a good thing as it'll give a few of the lads a chance, but it's not like we have a conveyor belt churning out players...

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    I love seeing AIL players make the step up to professionalism, as a club man and not someone that went to a rugby playing school I love to see it. Gives a huge percentage of rugby players a hope at attaining a career without going through the 'usual' school channels.

However, the only downside to it is, Clontarf are being plundered! Hard to see them competing if they keep dropping players to the provinces... Only a good thing as it'll give a few of the lads a chance, but it's not like we have a conveyor belt churning out players...

Reckon Clontarf will be alright. Believe recruitment is going well.

The "non traditional" route is getting used more and more. Clontarf will be fine. They've a good underage set up and its ever expanding and attract good numbers of school leavers each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

The "non traditional" route is getting used more and more. Clontarf will be fine. They've a good underage set up and its ever expanding and attract good numbers of school leavers each year.

Clontarfs 20s were dreadful this year not sure on the talent coming thru below that but they will not be developing to many to play AIL thru the youth route expect a flood of new established senior players. All the top 1a clubs tend to have to rebuild every 2/3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭bradders90

Are AIL coaches paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Clontarfs 20s were dreadful this year not sure on the talent coming thru below that but they will not be developing to many to play AIL thru the youth route expect a flood of new established senior players. All the top 1a clubs tend to have to rebuild every 2/3 years

Below standard but I definitely wouldn't say they were dreadful. Few lads made the step up to senior this year while playing with the 20s, Ivan Soroka, Rory Litchfield and Conor O'Brien to name a few who made a decent impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I agree, but am not aware of too many AIL players making it as pro's - I know Matt Healy went from lansdowne and is doing great for Connacht - thought it was rare with so many coming through the academies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

thebaz wrote: »
    I agree, but am not aware of too many AIL players making it as pro's - I know Matt Healy went from lansdowne and is doing great for Connacht - thought it was rare with so many coming through the academies

In last few years
    Danny kenny ucd to Doncaster
    Willie ryan con to Rotherham
    Mick McGrath Clontarf to Leinster
    Royce Burke flynn & Iain hurst Clontarf to Leinster
    Daragh fanning Mary's to Leinster
    Healy & ronaldson lansdowne to connacht
    Nick A. Dufc to connacht
    American flanker dufc to stade Francis
    Peter Lydon seapoint to state francais
    Aaron dundon Clontarf to Leinster
    Barry o'mahony Clontarf to Munster
    Fiftita & Barry murphy Sligo & Glaswegians to connacht
    CHristy condon dolphin to Munster
    Diarmuid McCarthy YM to Munster??
    Matt Darcy Clontarf to connacht/Munster
    Donnellan lansdowne to Biarritz
    Neilus Keogh lansdowne/ucc to Nottingham

There are more lads over in England doing really well for themselves who I'm sure others can think of

Clive Ross Lansdowne to Ulster

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Nialler15

bradders90 wrote: »
    Are AIL coaches paid?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

bamboozle wrote: »
    American flanker Scott LaValla dufc to stade Francis

to add

Martin Kelly - DUFC -> Munster
    Niyi Adeolokun - DUFC ->Connacht

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Are AIL coaches paid?

The word Peanuts does come to mind though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭GavMan

Charlie Butterworth is at Ulster from Lansdowne

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    I think they can and will produce AIL standard through their age grade players. They need to and will do it. Not in a huge huge number but there will always be a number who'll play senior with them who come though that route

Shame the system of irish rugby is like that that 1A sides have to go through such rebuilding process
    Are AIL coaches paid?
    Varies club to club and level of club etc. Universities like TCD, UCD have full time coaches. Trinity coach Tony Smeeth is full time director of rugby and has been for 20 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Are they still using 1A, 1B, 1C etc?

I don't understand why it's not just 1,2,3,4 etc. It's easier to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah, for those not involved in grass roots rugby that's a common complaint. They don't make it appealing to the casual fan the way its setup.

Although really the only thing most people are interested in is the UBL (1A)

• Advertisement

Yes they are. Dont see them changing. I thought it wasn't too bad with 1A/B and 2A/B but having the 2C is silly. Having 1A/B and then divisions 2 with division 3 split into North/South should be the way to name the divisons if they keep 5 but that wont happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

RobbieRuns wrote: »

ruddock on a lot more than peanuts

Maybe In some clubs but there is plenty of guys earning a good wage from coaching AIL sides...

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭bradders90

aha alright. Just thought they must be if an aussie is relocating that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

aha alright. Just thought they must be if an aussie is relocating that far.

It is a stepping stone though, a way to get into serious rugby coaching. I always point out that the last Lions coach Mr Gatland started his coaching career up here in Galwegians !

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Braken

It is a stepping stone though, a way to get into serious rugby coaching. I always point out that the last Lions coach Mr Gatland started his coaching career up here in Galwegians !
    A certain Mr Schmidt started out with
    Mullingar rfc many moons ago

All coaches start somewhere and usually in club rugby before getting the opportunity to progress further up the ranks, In 1a & 1b I would say that there are approx 6/7 full time coaches who make their living from rugby thru coaching and other activities based around that such as summer camps, combination of school & club etc. A tough career to make it a full time gig but a few hardy souls make it work for them

Leinster senior league cup and shield fixtures have been made
    Havent seen any groups other than one of the Shield groups which is
    Dundalk, Seapoint, Tullamore and Wanderers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭turtleshead

I would imagine clubs would be starting pre-season this week, anyone know of any player movement? will be interesting to see if the points system causes less movement of players this season as opposed to previous years.

• Advertisement

Heard from a few people now that 2 clubs are being investigated by IRFU for player inducements specifically accommodation from last season. Will be pretty interesting to see if anything is done about it or if the regulations will be enforced.
    PPS I am hearing will be a thing of the past within 3 years New head man is not a fan of the system at all and has privately ridiculed it and publicly wary of it.

Advertisement