Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

We need a good Rugby game.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

i wonder which game the IRFU will give the rights too ???

its annoying we cant have just one offical rugby game with all licences

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I wish EA would get back on board. They got it right with the last version they released for PS2, the ability to offload in the tackle made the game really fluid and exciting. Kicking controls had also been perfected by that stage imo.

They must have not been shifting enough copies to justify continuing the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

PTH2009 wrote: »
    i wonder which game the IRFU will give the rights too ???

its annoying we cant have just one offical rugby game with all licences

The world cup game I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

I would love rugby management game like football manager from Sports interactive, as has been pointed out above they need to put money into making it good and with licensing and promotion all costing money how much would an indie developer have to build a game or graphics engine? With a management sim you remove a lot of that cost, could be a better way to go to get a playable rugby game.

I would love rugby management game like football manager from Sports interactive, as has been pointed out above they need to put money into making it good and with licensing and promotion all costing money how much would an indie developer have to build a game or graphics engine? With a management sim you remove a lot of that cost, could be a better way to go to get a playable rugby game.

they do have 2 rugby management games out but they get boring after a while and its fairly unrealistic. you cant just manage an international team you have to get selected while your manager of a club

• Advertisement

Rugby World Cup game due out next Friday not much talk about it

Looking like it's going to unlicensed teams and one playable stadium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Rugby Challenge 3 will be the one to buy this year. Here's the trailer for RWC 2015 which looks very poor:

Rugby Challenge 3 will be the one to buy this year. Here's the trailer for RWC 2015 which looks very poor:

Stadiums look unofficial. I'll be buying both as it's the only games I really play on consoles

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

That RWC15 game looks shocking..
    What ever about a rugby game engine being tough to create, the graphics and animation look like they havn't been updated since Rugby'08..

wp_rathead wrote: »
    That RWC15 game looks shocking..
    What ever about a rugby game engine being tough to create, the graphics and animation look like they havn't been updated since Rugby'08..

They've gone backwards if anything. The rugby world cup game will be the same engine as rugby 15, which is safely the worst game I have ever played. It's a really shame our sports showpiece event will get a shoddy video game representation. Hopefully rugby challenge 3 will improve on the old games, at least there was potential there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    They've gone backwards if anything. The rugby world cup game will be the same engine as rugby 15, which is safely the worst game I have ever played. It's a really shame our sports showpiece event will get a shoddy video game representation. Hopefully rugby challenge 3 will improve on the old games, at least there was potential there.

Just to echo this, The world cup game is a re-branded Rugby 15, which is also the worst game I have ever played! Do not go near either of those games. Just a cash grab for the world cup.

Rugby Challenge on the other hand will also be technically a "****e" game, BUT Rugby Challenge 2 is one of my absolute favorite games. Just because of how hilarious some of the incidents in matches can be. Myself and a mate always play 2 player local play on the PC and it's great craic. We even came up with our own game mode. Drop goals only, meaning drop goals are the only points that count to your score, if you score a try you will get minus points etc.

It can lead to some funny situations. Making a break, down the center of the field and having to attempt a drop goal & near the end of the match trying to spill the ball on your own line so the other team dives on it :D

Basically, I can't wait for RC3

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I bought rugby 15 on psn for a tenner for a laugh. Oh boy. These people had some cheek charging full price for that POS game. Their budget was probably feck all so there's no justification for a full price. I'd nearly urge people to not buy the RWC game for that reason.

Honestly World Rugby need to partner up with a major developer to put out a quality game. Look at how important the FIFA and Madden franchises are to their respective sports. Playing Madden got me hooked on the real life NFL! An outstanding rugby game could encourage new people to play and/or follow the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭thevinylword

Nothing can top Jonah Lomu, shame developers have never gotten a decent grasp of it since

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

A Se7ens game mode could be very good - and straight forward enough to develop

The breakdown of proper 15 man game must be a nightmare for developers

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭NU8

The Rugby World Cup 2015 game was released today. Seems to be the previous Rugby 15 with a few bugs fixed and fewer teams.

IGN give it 1.5/10: http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/09/04/rugby-world-cup-2015-review

A shameless cash in it seems. I expected nothing else. I've bought every rugby game released as I'd love to see game progress but this will be left well alone. Roll on RC3 and RLL3.

Going to buy it later on. Even if the game is crap by reviewers standards I enjoy them. The one thing I hated about rugby 15 were the controls. They were so confusing and annoying. I expect controls will be the same foe this game. Going to buy rugby challenge 3 as well when it comes out

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭NU8

Going to buy it later on. Even if the game is crap by reviewers standards I enjoy them. The one thing I hated about rugby 15 were the controls. They were so confusing and annoying. I expect controls will be the same foe this game. Going to buy rugby challenge 3 as well when it comes out

Let us know how you find it. It's the first Rugby game I don't plan to buy. Holding off for RC3.

NU8 wrote: »
    Let us know how you find it. It's the first Rugby game I don't plan to buy. Holding off for RC3.
    Ireland are unlicescend so that means that might be licensend in RC3

Weird that the irfu didn't give licences for either the rugby World Cup game or rugby challenge 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Weird that the irfu didn't give licences for either the rugby World Cup game or rugby challenge 3

Maybe they were offered peanuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Has that been confirmed? I didn't think RC3 had fully announced the licenses they had. Have downloaded the demo from Steam that allows you to create players and I have to say even that works a good deal better than RC2.

Advertisement