Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

We need a good Rugby game.

• 02-04-2015 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭ Joziah Future Scorer

I'm sure you will agree with me when I say that Rugby is a fun sport to watch and play. When we watch the 6 Nations or European Cup, we see people like scoring amazing tries by running the length of the field, multiple passes, chipping the ball etc. and we want to then relive that in a game because it's far easier than real life.

For the last few years, the sport has been unfortunate enough to have no good game with Rugby '08 being the last good game in my eyes. After this we had RWC 2011 which had the exact same gameplay, Rugby Challenge 1 & 2 which have poor gameplay and very outdated squads and of course the absolutely abysmal Rugby 15 which has the lowest score on Metacritic for Xbox One games.

If Cricket and Baseball can have a game then surely Rugby deserves one. This is more of a statement than a question but feel free to discuss it, I'd love to hear your opinions.

P.S: I wasn't sure whether this should be in Rugby or Games as I've done my research and seen rugby game related threads in both. Feel free to move it if you think it deserves to be in Games.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Rugby challenge 2 is decent enough to play especially against your friends.

Rugby league live 2 is by a mile the best rugby game I have played so I would recommend that even if it's league. Only on last generation consoles though. They are bringing out a third game soon which should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

For me, the greatest rugby game to play with friends was Jonah Lomu Rugby on the PS1.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,973 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

You'd imagine the Madden engine could be somehow tweaked to make a fairly decent game, but there just wouldn't be the market to justify the expense.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

I'd buy it and I don't buy games. I get hand me downs of old games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I haven't played a rugby game since Jonah Lomu. An updated version with similar game play would be great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

At this stage I'd settle for a "remastered" Jonah Lomu for the new consoles.
    On my old PS3 I had that Sega Mega Drive Classics, would love if they did something similar again.

So yeah, just give us Jonah Lomu.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Isn't this the gap in the market that's filled by tag rugby?:pac:
    I'm sure you will agree with me when I say that Rugby is a fun sport to watch and play. When we watch the 6 Nations or European Cup, we see people like scoring amazing tries by running the length of the field, multiple passes, chipping the ball etc. and we want to then relive that in a game because it's far easier than real life.

For the last few years, the sport has been unfortunate enough to have no good game with Rugby '08 being the last good game in my eyes. After this we had RWC 2011 which had the exact same gameplay, Rugby Challenge 1 & 2 which have poor gameplay and very outdated squads and of course the absolutely abysmal Rugby 15 which has the lowest score on Metacritic for Xbox One games.

If Cricket and Baseball can have a game then surely Rugby deserves one. This is more of a statement than a question but feel free to discuss it, I'd love to hear your opinions.

P.S: I wasn't sure whether this should be in Rugby or Games as I've done my research and seen rugby game related threads in both. Feel free to move it if you think it deserves to be in Games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Not exactly the most realistic depiction of rugby in a video game but the recently announced Mario & Sonic at the 2016 Olympics will include a rugby 7's mode!

Jamie George will be delighted they got his likeness bang on , they even have him scoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Looks at least as good as the Rugby 08 game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭ Joziah Future Scorer

Rugby World Cup 2015 game confirmed for September release, developed by bigben.

http://www.gamershell.com/companies/bigben_interactive/1434807.html

• Registered Users Posts: 37,715 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

hopefully they get all the licences and have all offfical stadiums including Aviva, Cardiff etc

It should include Six Nations and Rugby championship modes too

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

They released Rugby 15 which was universally panned so will this fare any better?

They released Rugby 15 which was universally panned so will this fare any better?

The hope is they rush released 15 and will have put way more time and resources into this. Although the fact that their press release suggests 15 was a success is a concern alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    The hope is they rush released 15 and will have put way more time and resources into this. Although the fact that their press release suggests 15 was a success is a concern alright.

Maybe it was a success considering the resources put into it?

Maybe it was a success considering the resources put into it?

It was an embarrassment. Had they pre-released rugby 08 it would have fared better. I cant see any way it could be considered a success, unless it sold a shed load

Here's a video of some guy talking about it, he's a terrible commentator and I don't know where he gets his sources from but f*ck it! He's got other videos on the game as well so here's his channel
    www.youtube.com/user/TheScottishcannon
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=53eYf-KnHO4

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    It was an embarrassment. Had they pre-released rugby 08 it would have fared better. I cant see any way it could be considered a success, unless it sold a shed load

Rugby 08 was a cracker to be fair, release it as an arcade game for a couple of quid would be nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Here's a video of some guy talking about it, he's a terrible commentator and I don't know where he gets his sources from but f*ck it! He's got other videos on the game as well so here's his channel
    www.youtube.com/user/TheScottishcannon
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=53eYf-KnHO4

The scorer at 1:56 is Chris Patterson...
    Parks is at 10, Ansbro at 13. That is footage from an old game (edit, it says Rugby 2011 in the top right corner)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,373 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Rugby 15 was an abomination

There'll never be a good rugby game unless a really good indie crowd look into a kickstarter campaign. As it is, no publisher is going to put big bucks behind them because there isn't a big fan base.

The dynamics of a rugby game need to be re-imagined too. They try and base it too much off a football game where the controls are based around the ball carrier. But rugby is enjoyable to watch because of the 15 v 15 dynamic, the set pieces, the moves etc., You don't get that with the games currently.

Personally I think they should look towards the american football format where you pause the play and determine the set piece before it happens, then it should change into a 'running' move after the first phase

• Registered Users Posts: 12,373 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

That would be easier to do but it wouldn't flow well at all, the biggest issue in making the game is the repositioning of players after phases, yet Rugby 15 couldn't even accomplish basics like passing and kicking. I'm pretty confident a much better job could be done on a similar budget. I'm sure if they were allowed to use the Madden engine they could have a shot at making a decent game. Could make a quality rugby league game on that engine. They shouldn't even attempt to make a game with the side on view either, doesn't work and baffles me that people even use it.

Haven't they tried that before with set moves off lineouts & scrums? It worked pretty well and was realistic in the sense it would get you through a gap but you wouldn't necessarily coast in for a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

New version of Rugby Challenge announced:

http://www.hes.net/newsite/generic.php?pagerequest=rc3pressrelease

Have both games in the series so far and they can be OK for a while but not a patch on the old Jonah Lomu Rugby is terms of fun.

Tbh they have a shelflife of about an hour... They'll need to dramatically improve the gameplay, and with such a short turn around I doubt they have.

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Rugby Challenge 2 was just so slow to play. Too much latency between pressing a button on the controller and it actually doing anything in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

New version of Rugby Challenge announced:

http://www.hes.net/newsite/generic.php?pagerequest=rc3pressrelease

Have both games in the series so far and they can be OK for a while but not a patch on the old Jonah Lomu Rugby is terms of fun.

Not developed by Sidhe though. They were always open about RC not being the finished product and we're looking to continually build on it with each iteration. Getting the financial backing to do it right first time out is just too difficult for smaller developers. I thought they were heading in the right direction though. It's a pity it just wasn't financially viable for them to continue with it. Another release or two and I think they'd have had a very solid game going. Hopefully this new crowd build on what's there rather than try and build it from scratch themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Sever Tomorrow

Rugby Challenge 2 is much improved when you tinker with the gameplay settings and reduce the unrealistic amount of break tackles and offloads. There's a few good videos on youtube with settings you can copy.

A benefit of having the PC version is that there is a good mod available. It corrects the player names as some of the international teams are unlicensed.

I've sunk a lot of hours into the RC games, they do have their issues though, mainly with the rules of the game. A ball can be kicked out into touch and an opposition team player will catch it after it's dead, resulting in a lineout for the team that kicked it out. Also stuff like the ball being knocked on before a TMO decision and the attacking team getting the 5 meter scrum when the try isn't give. Probably a few other issues I can't think of now.

Advertisement