Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread IV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I've never seen such harmony and optimism ever in the Ireland thread

The optimism will remain but as for harmony, well wait until the team is selected...there is time yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Wolfhounds team to be announced on Thursday according to RTE news.

A potential Wolfhounds back row of Henderson, O'Brien and Conan would be fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

bilston wrote: »
    A potential Wolfhounds back row of Henderson, O'Brien and Conan would be fun!

I think I'd play Henderson at lock given Foley is now out.

I'd go for a pack of

1 McGrath
    2 Strauss
    3 White
    4 McCarthy
    5 Henderson
    6 Ryan
    7 TOD/Murphy
    8 Conan

16 Herring
    17 Healy
    18 Ross
    19 Diack
    20 SOB

I've never seen such harmony and optimism ever in the Ireland thread

You've obviously not been in the Connacht thread all season. Happiest bunch of lads I've ever met. Online.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

You've obviously not been in the Connacht thread all season. Happiest bunch of lads I've ever met. Online.

He said in the Ireland thead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭MattD

Feeling the love guys, feeling the love!

We have until the Wolfhounds announcement, before it all goes to hell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

errlloyd wrote: »
    Whatever happened to the glory days of teams being named on Monday.

Monday ?
    What happened to the week before of yore?
    And the practise of players getting their first cap skipping their club game that weekend ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Monday ?
    What happened to the week before of yore?
    And the practise of players getting their first cap skipping their club game that weekend ?

What happened to kidney naming the team once....ever

I think I'd play Henderson at lock given Foley is now out.

I'd go for a pack of

1 McGrath
    2 Strauss
    3 White
    4 McCarthy
    5 Henderson
    6 Ryan
    7 TOD/Murphy
    8 Conan

16 Herring
    17 Healy
    18 Ross
    19 Diack
    20 SOB

Add a backline of

9 Marmion
    10 Keatley
    11 Earls
    12 McFadden
    13 Cave
    14 Gilroy
    15 Payne

21 Boss
    22 ????
    23 Jones

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Add a backline of

9 Marmion
    10 Keatley
    11 Earls
    12 McFadden
    13 Cave
    14 Gilroy
    15 Payne

21 Boss
    22 ????
    23 Jones

???? = Noel Reid

D'Arcy will start at 12 I'd say, McFadden to be rested.

???? = Noel Reid

D'Arcy will start at 12 I'd say, McFadden to be rested.

Forgot about Reid and D'Arcy.

You're probably right with those two.

Strongest Wolfhounds XV we've ever had??? That lot could probably nick a couple of wins in the 6Ns.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

We are possibly (definitely) going to see the strongest A team ever put out? No wonder considering some posters on here have listed 3 full decent teams from our current crop of players. Irish rugby is alive and kicking!

Edit: Bilston beat me to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Forgot about Reid and D'Arcy.

You're probably right with those two.

Strongest Wolfhounds XV we've ever had??? That lot could probably nick a couple of wins in the 6Ns.

Should be a good match on Friday......and it's on TV :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

D'Arcy starting for the "A" side would be depressing.

D'Arcy starting for the "A" side would be depressing.

Why? It's called the "A" not the "pick your youngest and most inexperienced side". Darcy can still do a job for us and needs to prove that, Friday is a good a day as any.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think D'arcy himself would be pretty depressed to be in the A side.

The thing is though he'd be very good for the A's as he knows the systems where whoever is picked at 10 won't be that familiar, or nowhere near as familiar as him, nor will whoever is picked at 13.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

andymx11 wrote: »
    Why? It's called the "A" not the "pick your youngest and most inexperienced side". Darcy can still do a job for us and needs to prove that, Friday is a good a day as any.

D'arcy also hasnt played in the last few weeks and like several others in the extended squad ho havent played will need some game time ahead of the italy game. It also means as many players as possible have played in the 2 weeks prior to the opener which will give JS headaches and also creates many options

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I think D'arcy himself would be pretty depressed to be in the A side.

It depends on why he's in the A side. If Joe says to him (like he will do with Ross, I'd imagine), that he wants guys in the senior side who are match sharp and D'Arcy needs to get game time to be up to speed for Rome, then he'll be chomping at the bit.

If it's just to fill the jersey while the likes of Fitzgerald, Henshaw and Payne are kept fresh, then that would be depressing for him alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Why? It's called the "A" not the "pick your youngest and most inexperienced side".

It isnt, but no one gives a rashers who wins. Its only interest is in the future development of the non-"A" side. So while picking a more or less has-been can have merit if it has a developmental effect on those around him, it has non as far as 'doing a job' to have the best shot a winning the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

It isnt, but no one gives a rashers who wins.

I do. I'm sure some other fans do as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭UnitedWeStand

Wolfhounds game will be a great appetizer for the 6N. At least this time we have a team that looks like it could be the favourites for once.

Speaking of warm ups, not to derail the thread, Toulon Sharks is coming up on 5th of Feb which I haven't seen talked up anywhere despite all the talk of "clash of the hemispheres".

It isnt, but no one gives a rashers who wins. Its only interest is in the future development of the non-"A" side. So while picking a more or less has-been can have merit if it has a developmental effect on those around him, it has non as far as 'doing a job' to have the best shot a winning the game.

Sorry don't agree- firstly I am really looking for a good performance and a win. Picking Darcy won't hinder the development of anyone, actually it will do the opposite. As it stands whether people like it or not Darcy is our second, maybe even first choice 12. He hasn't played a lot of minutes so we need him match fit if we are to call on him. The other prospect 12s are injured at the moment so it really doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Mcgrath,Strauss, Ross. All short on gametime so I recon they'll start with Henderson and Mccarthy in the row.

Conan Def 8 I recon. 6/7 could be anyone other than pom. O brien 7 if fit.

Backs are more difficult.

I'd say d'arcy and payne centres with Earls and gilroy on the wings with Jones fb.

half backs either Madigan's or Keatly.

Boss scrum half.

Should be a cracking game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭MattD

What i would like to see, though i expect Jones will play instead of Payne. Maybe too early for Healy?

McGrath
    Strauss
    Ross
    McCarthy
    Henderson
    Ryan
    Murphy
    Conan
    Marmion
    Keatley
    Earls
    Darcy
    Cave
    Gilroy
    Payne

Herring
    Cronin
    White
    Toner
    O'Brien
    Boss
    Reid
    McFadden

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

MattD wrote: »
    What i would like to see, though i expect Jones will play instead of Payne. Maybe too early for Healy?

McGrath
    Strauss
    Ross
    McCarthy
    Henderson
    Ryan
    Murphy
    Conan
    Marmion
    Keatley
    Earls
    Darcy
    Cave
    Gilroy
    Payne

Herring
    Cronin
    White
    Toner
    O'Brien
    Boss
    Reid
    McFadden

Yeah heard this morning Healy won't be fit for the Wolfhounds or Italy games. I don't think we'll see him back until the Dragons game for Leinster and then maybe the England game.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Yeah heard this morning Healy won't be fit for the Wolfhounds or Italy games. I don't think we'll see him back until the Dragons game for Leinster and then maybe the England game.

Step forward Michael Bent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

MattD wrote: »

McGrath
    Strauss
    Ross
    McCarthy
    Henderson
    Ryan
    Murphy
    Conan
    Marmion
    Keatley
    Earls
    Darcy
    Cave
    Gilroy
    Payne

Herring
    Cronin
    White
    Toner
    O'Brien
    Boss
    Reid
    McFadden

Read somewhere yesterday the suggestion is Madigan to start at 10 to give him some time playing 10....

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Read somewhere yesterday the suggestion is Madigan to start at 10 to give him some time playing 10....

I heard that too- to big of a risk if you ask me!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,969 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I heard that too- to big of a risk if you ask me!

why?

he most likely will start at 10 against italy an he could do with the game time here to iron out his creases....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement