Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

PinkChick wrote: »
    Hi m'lady, yeah I thought the same. I love having a hot chocolate in the evening, for me it's nicer than a bar of chocolate. I really think that skimmed milk is gone up. Its a small enough cup. And it's working out 3 points for the milk. I used to drink a lot of milk and don't remember it being that high at all. For me it's worth it but know some people would rather use the points other ways. They are my treats :-)

The Aldi hot chocolate is so so so so nice, and its made with boiling water its only 1 pro point. sometimes i get a really big mug and put two sachets in....it is SOOOOO nice (usually the ones made with water are nasty)

double sachet mug = 2 pro points! I'd be the same i'd rather a nice big mug of coco or skinny mocha than bar of choccy...tho in an ideal world i'd have both LMAO HAHAHAHA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

How much do u think two handfuls of stuffing from a deli would be?

I have to start getting up earlier in the
    Morning and making my own lunch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Jewelsmousey

astra2000 wrote: »
    Firstly dont panic! Its possible it is 21 points depending on the portion size and ingredients, there is a lot of cheese in homemade lasagne.
    Take it as it is 21pp and use some points from the 49pp that every member is allowed each week. If you eat wisely snack on 0pp fruit have lots of salad/veg and use 10 or so of these pp on your evening meal you will be grand. Dont throw the towel in and say you will start tomo see this as your first hiccup, one you will get over and keep going. It will get easier especially when you get all the info at your finger tips on fri:)

Ok I didn't know that we have 49 pp's so that lessens some of the panic. Yep I'm thinking fruit salad for dinner as I am still very full. I was a little disheartened there for a minute but you're absolutely right. Thanks so much. Roll on Friday:D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭kashmir

I thought more people would have been questioning the leaders as to what was wrong with the old system -if it was worth changing obviously something was wrong (I think they realised their mistake in being so irrationally biased against saturated fat), they should tell what the problem was as you may have been (and continue) avoiding foods which are now far lower in points (e.g. I know coconut is now far lower in propoints).

[/QUOTE]

The week before Christmas there were only 3 people in our class and we had a great discussion about the new system. Unfortunately the class was jammed packed the first week back after Christmas so there wasn't enough time to go into detail (it was a lunchtime class).

From what I understand, Weight Watchers have been researching this new programme for 7 years and drawing on new food science info and new technologies have come up with a plan that not only takes into account the amount of energy supplied by a food but also the additional energy used by the body to digest such food. I think most people are becoming aware that not all foods of equal calorific value are equal in nutrition and the great affect of protein in weight loss etc so they are using all this to try and get people to make better choices whilst counting calories. Lets wait and see if it works on a long term basis. I'll be back on Wednesday lunchtime for my first weigh in (I am on maintenance but had a couple of pounds from Christmas to lose) so I'll let you know, I have stuck rigidly to it.

I do agree with you re: the bias against alcohol, it seems like a hugh increase. It does put you off though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

kildareash wrote: »
    How much do u think two handfuls of stuffing from a deli would be?

I have to start getting up earlier in the
    Morning and making my own lunch!

I'd say 6 or more. Given that each handful is at least a slice of breads worth. Plus any fat they add to it.

• Advertisement

I'd say 6 or more. Given that each handful is at least a slice of breads worth. Plus any fat they add to it.

I had allowed 5. Not the end of the world as still have enough left for dinner.

It's surprising how much further u xan stretch ur points by being organised and not relying on quick fixes.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Hi everyone :) I'm glad I found this thread, just rejoined ww after a 5 week absence and 7 & 1/2 lb gain !
    I'm loving propoints so far .I'm a little worried as I seem to be eating more than I had been on my previous points , I was on 19. I had a big dinner out at the weekend so only have 11 weekly points left , hope I lose weight this week !
    Does anyone have any idea what the 29 points allowance equates to in oldpoints ?My leader said somewhere between 18- 20 , but I read on the forum on ww online that it was about 16 :confused:

Hi everyone :) I'm glad I found this thread, just rejoined ww after a 5 week absence and 7 & 1/2 lb gain !
    I'm loving propoints so far .I'm a little worried as I seem to be eating more than I had been on my previous points , I was on 19. I had a big dinner out at the weekend so only have 11 weekly points left , hope I lose weight this week !
    Does anyone have any idea what the 29 points allowance equates to in oldpoints ?My leader said somewhere between 18- 20 , but I read on the forum on ww online that it was about 16 :confused:

I think the thing to us is just to completely forget the old system (easier said than done I know) it's a different system taking into account different things so it is not like for like. However, I do know how difficult it is, I was on 18 on old system (on maintenance for 4 weeks) and when I pointed my days food yesterday (I used daily propoints of 29 & 2 weekly points) on the old basis it came out at 19. So there you go, there is definitely a method to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

kashmir wrote: »
    I think the thing to us is just to completely forget the old system (easier said than done I know) it's a different system taking into account different things so it is not like for like. However, I do know how difficult it is, I was on 18 on old system (on maintenance for 4 weeks) and when I pointed my days food yesterday (I used daily propoints of 29 & 2 weekly points) on the old basis it came out at 19. So there you go, there is definitely a method to it.

Thanks kashmir, weigh in day will tell whether I can get away with the extra weekly points I guess!
    I think if they were to equate to the old system I'd be over my points , but as you say I have to try and forget that and see how I get on on thurs, I'm a little skeptical that I'll be able to get away with the full 49 points though:rolleyes:

Thanks kashmir, weigh in day will tell whether I can get away with the extra weekly points I guess!
    I think if they were to equate to the old system I'd be over my points , but as you say I have to try and forget that and see how I get on on thurs, I'm a little skeptical that I'll be able to get away with the full 49 points though:rolleyes:

Oh, I know exactly where you are coming from, weigh in for me is Wednesday lunchtime, so the proof of the pudding will be then!! I am skeptical too but I've completely embraced it for the first week at least and am really delighted with it so I do really hope it works but it may be a few weeks before we really see the full picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

tantipie wrote: »
    our leader told us before Christmas that if we knew any gold members to get them in first week back as they'd get the materials for free but after that they'd be charged for it:(

Just had a great chat with the marketing director, lovely lady, who assured me that I wouldn't be asked for money tomorrow at class, they had a conference at the weekend and it came up and the decision was that no gold member within goal should pay for class or materials.

Interestingly (or disappointingly maybe) the programme consists of the folder in week 1 and another pamphlet in week 2 and that's it.

You'll be glad to hear that they are working on building a new much improved Irish website too.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eimear1

Interestingly (or disappointingly maybe) the programme consists of the folder in week 1 and another pamphlet in week 2 and that's it.

You'll be glad to hear that they are working on building a new much improved Irish website too.

Glad to hear about the website - but i wonder why does it take so long, surely the template is there on the UK one, they just have to tweak it for Ireland?

And only one more pamphlet, thats hardly helpful, when i look back at all the info that we got over the first few months on the old system - when things were much easier to calculate.
    So many times i found something difficult, like eating out, and just presumed we'd have a booklet on it in a couple weeks so didn't worry too much - just wondering if we are now going to have to buy the equivalent information/books for the new points?

Having a good day so far, always easier on days off, work is a nightmare!
    Just made a big pot of 0 point soup, delish, hope that makes work easier tomorrow!
    Re fresh herbs, Aldi have the following on special from thurs €2.99 per plant - Thyme (Common or Gold), Oregano, Sage, Parsley, Mint (Spearmint, Gingermint or Marjoram)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Lads could a piece of homemade lasagne really have 21 points? I had a portion from home at lunchtime but input nutrition I found on the net
    Have you got the info you entered so we can double check it. A big mac is 13pp, and is about 450kcal, most microwave single size lasagnes around also about 450kcal and probably have the similar nutritional makeup. -although I would have 2 big macs no problem!

It does all seem to have been introduced a bit hap-hazardly (SP) here, which is very disappointing and frustrating.
    When you consider all the material available to online members, as a class member I do feel hard done by.
    I know the people here who are following the online version have been doing it a bit longer, but they do seem to know a lot more than people attending classes.

Someone posted the price of joining online in one of the threads over the weekend and I seriously considered changing. But I know I wouldn't do aswell, I need the motivation of stepping on the scales in front of someone every week.

kildareash wrote: »
    It does all seem to have been introduced a bit hap-hazardly (SP) here, which is very disappointing and frustrating.
    When you consider all the material available to online members, as a class member I do feel hard done by.
    I know the people here who are following the online version have been doing it a bit longer, but they do seem to know a lot more than people attending classes.

Someone posted the price of joining online in one of the threads over the weekend and I seriously considered changing. But I know I wouldn't do aswell, I need the motivation of stepping on the scales in front of someone every week.

it is very easy to fall off the wagon with the online one! cos its the same price weather you track or not. so its easy to say ah feck it i'll skip the weight in this week! or to change your weight in so it looks like you've lost loads in a week...when really its been over 10 days. that kinda thing.

The shame factor is a great motivator tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Sallyanne2

Be aware that WW Fruities now have 2 Pro Points per box not 1/2 point.
    Also Butterscotch Drops have 4 pro points per box and not 1.
    I was sold these last week at my WW meeting and told they were the same in pro points as points but when I did my calculations there was a big difference. I reckon they were just trying to sell their old stock, at my expense.

I found this article online, I'm doing it as an experiment for the week just to see how it goes

This morning I woke and was wide awake at 6am, my alarm was due to go off at 6.30. So I decided to get up and do 20 mins or so on the treadmill before breakfast.

And you know what...I have felt fantastic all day....doing 20 mins of walking kinda woke my system up. Like warming up the engine before a long journey.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Walking-First-Thing-in-the-Morning-Boosts-Your-Metabolism

I been doing some reading online about the benefits of morning cardio. I found this article really interesting because it explained exactly how and why the morning exercise yields the best results.

So anyone wanna make an educated guess as to how many propoints would be in a slice of Cheese & Ham Quiche from the deli in a spar?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jackmax

can anyone tell me the weight of a cooked bag of boil in the bag rice? i know 150g is 6pp but forgot to weigh the portion i used so am thinking if i knew the weight of the full bag then i would be able to work it out roughly? before being cooked the bag weighed 125g

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

jackmax wrote: »
    can anyone tell me the weight of a cooked bag of boil in the bag rice? i know 150g is 6pp but forgot to weigh the portion i used so am thinking if i knew the weight of the full bag then i would be able to work it out roughly? before being cooked the bag weighed 125g
    for the smaller bags of rice think they62/64g before cooking they are 6pp

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jackmax

tantipie wrote: »
    for the smaller bags of rice think they62/64g before cooking they are 6pp

Thanks for your reply :) I just found the weight on the side of the box :o clearly didnt look properly the first time :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Going to try that carbonara tomorrow.

For dinner today I had. -
    200g frozen tiger prawns - 4pp
    2 teaspoons olive oil - 3pp
    1 chopped red chilli
    2 cloves of garlic

Fry them all together (the water from the frozen prawns will melt off and mix with the oil to make a little bit of a sauce). Serve with rocket and baby leaf salad. YUM. Its a light dinner though so if hungry add some pasta.

A twirl (both sticks) is 6pp.
    Well worth it - they are unbelievably chocolatey.

PinkChick wrote: »
    Hi m'lady, yeah I thought the same. I love having a hot chocolate in the evening, for me it's nicer than a bar of chocolate. I really think that skimmed milk is gone up. Its a small enough cup.

I use the options belgian hot chocolate of which a serving is 1pp. I make it with water and a bit of milk (like the same amount you'd add to coffee). It is really nice - try it! You can get a container of it or else in individual portions which are really handy to keep in your bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Vickysg24

ok So I started weight watchers today and was unaware of the new pro points system. Does anyone know how many points would be in my homemade soup. I made a big batch of it today and used four potatoes, three carrots, broccoli, cabbage, onions, celery and three stock pots. So for each bowl how much will i value the pro points at?? I'd say it will make about ten bowls all together. :D

Also just calculated Ryvita using the online calculator and it says there is no points per slice... is this correct??

• Registered Users Posts: 22 pracky2k10

A twirl (both sticks) is 6pp.
    Well worth it - they are unbelievably chocolatey.

Littlefriend thanks so much for this- I love twirls!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 pracky2k10

Sallyanne2 wrote: »
    Be aware that WW Fruities now have 2 Pro Points per box not 1/2 point.
    Also Butterscotch Drops have 4 pro points per box and not 1.
    I was sold these last week at my WW meeting and told they were the same in pro points as points but when I did my calculations there was a big difference. I reckon they were just trying to sell their old stock, at my expense.

Oh-oh, I've been eating shedloads of these :eek:
    Our leader said fruities were gone up to 1pp per box! :confused:
    Oh well..think it might take me a while to get used to this pro points malarkey. Really great to have this support though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eimear1

Vickysg24 wrote: »
    ok So I started weight watchers today and was unaware of the new pro points system. Does anyone know how many points would be in my homemade soup. I made a big batch of it today and used four potatoes, three carrots, broccoli, cabbage, onions, celery and three stock pots. So for each bowl how much will i value the pro points at?? I'd say it will make about ten bowls all together. :D

Also just calculated Ryvita using the online calculator and it says there is no points per slice... is this correct??

Point the potatoes per weight, they are 3 points per 150g, and the stock pots at one each. So if the spuds - for example - come to 7 points and 3 for the stock, makes ten points so a point per bowl. Depends how much the potatoes weigh really, but even with them in it, its a great way of filling up really!
    With the ryvita, try calculating for 2 or 3 and see how they add up, you'll prob find they have points once you go past having just one. So if you have more at different times of the day you may as well point them together.

I don't know about the soup but Ryvita have 1 point each. Extra slim Ryvita have 1 point for 2. Ordinary Ryvita have 1 point each.

Just double checked and a 10g Ryvita has Protein 0.9, Carb. 6.7, Fat 0.2 and Fibre 1.7 All adds up to 1 propoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

aldi's own brand crispbreads are 1pp for 2 ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement