Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Automatic and electric lawnmowers?

• 19-04-2020 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

What are the best battery lawn mowers available? Was looking into Ego. Lawn is less than 200sq.m. Front and back. Would like to go for an automatic lawnmower like Worx Landroid but how do you set it for a front separated from the back? Do have to install a second base unit and create two separate boundaries?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Perfect timing! I bought a Makita DLM460Z last week and have been using it the last couple of days.

I really struugled to find reviews I could trust, most of the online reviews are implausibly positive, but this is a good place to start, even though it's US-based so the models won't all be available.

The Ego mowers come out well, but I haven't managed to work out the model codes for the ones they are reviewing.

Quick summary of thoughts on the Makita:

- The steel deck is reassuringly durable, fairly unusual for an electric mower at that price point.
    - The grass collection is terrible. It's best used in mulching mode.
    - When mulching, I get around 15 mins off 2 x 5AH batteries.
    - I have a dual-battery charger, but for continuous mowing you would need at least 6 x 5AH batteries, and a quad battery charger. Maybe even the 6AH batteries, although they are disproportionately expensive.
    - The performance on the 4AH batteries is noticably worse. I would avoid smaller capacity batteries.
    - I had the batteries already, so it was a bit of a no-brainer.

I have quite a lot of grass, at least half an acre.

I did look at the "professional" Husqvarna mowers, which have (I think) double the power output at 3kW, but they're not cheap to buy and the batteries are INSANELY expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Lumen wrote: »
    Perfect timing! I bought a Makita DLM460Z last week and have been using it the last couple of days.

I really struugled to find reviews I could trust, most of the online reviews are implausibly positive, but this is a good place to start, even though it's US-based so the models won't all be available.

The Ego mowers come out well, but I haven't managed to work out the model codes for the ones they are reviewing.

- The steel deck is reassuringly durable, fairly unusual for an electric mower at that price point.
    - I have a dual-battery charger, but for continuous mowing you would need at least 6 x 5AH batteries, and a quad battery charger. Maybe even the 6AH batteries, although they are disproportionately expensive.
    - The performance on the 4AH batteries is noticably worse. I would avoid smaller capacity batteries.

I did look at the "professional" Husqvarna mowers, which have (I think) double the power output at 3kW, but they're not cheap to buy and the batteries are INSANELY expensive.
    Thanks for that, comprehensive to say the least. If I choose a lawnmower I think it will go for an Ego, model based on what the dealer recommends. I would consider the Worx Landroid as well though, so I would like to hear from users. I don’t get a lot of time to cut and dispose grass so the Worx would suit

Still looking into this. Does anyone out there use a Worx Landroid automatic lawnmower? It would better for us if it suits our situation. How would it work with a front and back garden separated by a fence. Might not have any impact but located close to the sea?

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Still looking into this. Does anyone out there use a Worx Landroid automatic lawnmower? It would better for us if it suits our situation. How would it work with a front and back garden separated by a fence. Might not have any impact but located close to the sea?

Exactly the question I have :) But I have sent off an email to a supplier - will post when/if I get an answer

I sent an email to Worx, they never got back. I assume that you require two separate base stations either side of the fence, or an opening in the bottom of the fence with the guide wire running along either side of the fence and either side of the ope effectively making it one garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

For me it is basically 2 kerbed areas with gravel between it- no response to my email. I think it is a matter of moving the yoke manually form one area to the next.

How are you getting on with the ego? It's a big outlay for a lawnmower. Where is offering the best price?

Went with the EGO 56v 19 Inch Battery Cordless Lawnmower LM1903E-SP in the end. Yet to come out of the though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I have two gardens and now have my landroid navigate the 30 meters from back to front. It goes through a hole in the fence, down a ramp I built to a gravel drive and then up another ramp to the the other garden perimeter. I followed the support documentation for a walkway and it works great. Basically you set the perimeter wire 15 cms apart along the route. I had to set up zones and set the 2nd lawn for 10%, this way it only cuts the small lawn 1 in 10 sessions. One pain in the backside is when it goes home to charge it will often route via the 2nd garden depending where it finds the perimeter. I could overcome this if I change the placement of the home.

https://support.worx-europe.com/how-to-set-up-multi-zone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Holly Mosses, didn't realise battery mowers were that hard on juice.

I've only a small patch of lawn but would love to get a Swardman Electra cylinder mower but boy are they expensive. This one reviewed is nearly 3k with the smaller 45cm machine over €2,600.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Fingallion

I have the Worx Landroid WR143 and it performs really well. I bought another one on Adverts las week as I have separate gardens... an Landroid S300 that had little use... so the entry level model.

What I can tell you is that the only difference (apart from the cut to edge design) is the battery size...

When I swapped the batteries out of curiosity, the S300 performed EXACTY the same as the more up market WR143. The motor, the blade deck and even the mower speed over the ground... all exactly the same. The body casing quality is identical (maybe even better in the S300 with the blade deck in the center making it more compact).

The larger battery is 20V 4Ah and is 65 Stg on Amazon.... but batteries are not allowed in the post so this is proving hard to source in Ireland. Still looking for an Irish retailer if anyone knows.

My advice (based on my experience)....if you can figure out a way of getting the larger battery (they are plug and play interchangeable) ... don't bother getting the more expensive Worx Landoids... the only other thing you would need is more wire which is cheap at screwfix...

Post edited by Fingallion on

I have been looking Worx on My Robot Centre again over the past few days. I have a garden with no boundary fence to the front. I would need some security. Not sure if Worx have this. Has anyone bought from My Robot Centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 restartagain

Has anyone got a battery riding mower? How effective is it? Is there any issues in mowing wet/damp or lon grass. I've got about half an acre & have been looking at Weibang Battery Ride on. Its not a zero turn

Advertisement