Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chopped

• 19-03-2017 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

Hi,

These Chopped salad places are popping up everywhere now - which is great! I note that their calories are all displayed on the menu and all "exclude the dressing".

I can't seem to find their dressing calories anywhere but suspect that its not quite as low calorie once you add that in! I'd say you could easily add another 150-200 cals for some of these dressings..

Anyone have any info on them?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

You'd be right in thinking that.

Lemon juice 8 calories.
    BBQ zesty 70 calories
    Low fat sweet chilli 96 calories
    Cajun lemon/ fitzwillam 177 calories
    Spiced herb or piri piri 180
    Low fat mayo 188 calories
    Ceasar 192
    Chopped house 196
    Honey mustard 225
    Balsamic vinaigrette 227
    Lemon herb vinaigrette 407
    Olive oil 504

Think I left out a couple, Mexican, Greek and Thai are around 182 calories

This is all for 60g dressings in the salads, they put 35,g into the wraps

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The portions are enormous. I got 2 days of lunch out of one, and they were still really big. Sure the food is all healthy, but there's too much of it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

anewme wrote: »
    You'd be right in thinking that.

Lemon juice 8 calories.
    BBQ zesty 70 calories
    Low fat sweet chilli 96 calories
    Cajun lemon/ fitzwillam 177 calories
    Spiced herb or piri piri 180
    Low fat mayo 188 calories
    Ceasar 192
    Chopped house 196
    Honey mustard 225
    Balsamic vinaigrette 227
    Lemon herb vinaigrette 407
    Olive oil 504

Think I left out a couple, Mexican, Greek and Thai are around 182 calories

This is all for 60g dressings in the salads, they out 35,into the wraps

Excellent thanks!! Where did you find this?

Excellent thanks!! Where did you find this?

I got it from chopped. We were getting a salad and my friend got Mexican i twigged the dressing would be high so I only got Lemon juice . Sent them a mail when I noticed no dressing details available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

Bloody hell! I'll be using half portions of dressing from now on! :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The salad bowls are ridiculously large - might be OK if you're going for a mostly veg one, but you're conning yourself if you think multiple rashers, rather a lot of cheese and a tub of caeser on top of a bucket of veg is a light lunch.

This is the advice from chopped, which came with the dressing details

A few tips - if you’re calorie conscious we always suggest:
    (1) lemon juice - it’s almost cal free, healthy and delicious;
    (2) staying away from our olive oil based dressings - although full of healthy natural fats, they are very high in calorie count;
    (3) asking for your chosen dressing on-the-side in a ramekin - you can then manage your dressing amount yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

From a purely calorie counting perspective...There's less calories in a big mac than in what i was getting from chopped according to this! No comparison in terms of nutrients of course.

Lemon juice today it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emo72

One opened up beside me. Was looking at all the beautiful ingredients under the glass. They would make your mouth water. But then they only give a tiny amount of ingredients and smother it in green leaves. I'm not so keen then.

L1011 wrote: »
    The salad bowls are ridiculously large - might be OK if you're going for a mostly veg one, but you're conning yourself if you think multiple rashers, rather a lot of cheese and a tub of caeser on top of a bucket of veg is a light lunch.

There's a lot of leaves and not as much filling!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

anewme wrote: »
    There's a lot of leaves and not as much filling!!

They may have got stingier (or they gave more to frequent customers) but I was getting them 3-4 times a week via downthesofa in a previous job. Would be virtual doorsteps of ham or half a pack of rashers in a bowl.

L1011 wrote: »
    They may have got stingier (or they gave more to frequent customers) but I was getting them 3-4 times a week via downthesofa in a previous job. Would be virtual doorsteps of ham or half a pack of rashers in a bowl.

I got the Quinoa one and remember I would not be getting fat on the amount of fillings apart from lettuce!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,374 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

emo72 wrote:
    One opened up beside me. Was looking at all the beautiful ingredients under the glass. They would make your mouth water. But then they only give a tiny amount of ingredients and smother it in green leaves. I'm not so keen then.

Isn't that kind of the entire point of a salad?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

pinkypinky wrote: »
    The portions are enormous. I got 2 days of lunch out of one, and they were still really big. Sure the food is all healthy, but there's too much of it.

I have never, ever, ever had this problem in Chopped. I would be utterly shocked if there are any males around who consider the salad bowls to be too big. I usually get the salmon/chicken and the portion is fairly meagre - they pile the kale in alright but that wouldn't fill you up at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emo72

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Isn't that kind of the entire point of a salad?

no hassle with greens, i love salads. just the one i did order was a massive amount of leaves and not enough protein. hey now its just my opinion, they seem really popular when they opened up near me, but in fairness they do seem quieter after the initial flurry after opening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

From a purely calorie counting perspective...There's less calories in a big mac than in what i was getting from chopped according to this! No comparison in terms of nutrients of course.

Lemon juice today it is!

Hate to say it but they have a store beside HillyBillys Chicken in Fairview, I went in. Looked at the menu, looked closely seen for example, 700kcals beside a salad, swiftly left and went into HillyBillys lol.

Thankfully, I have come on a bit in nutrional education since then, but the portion sizes and pricing is to high priced, small portions and smaller prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,010 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Are people really surprised that a 60g served of olive oil or mayo based dressing is high in cals?

Mellor wrote: »
    Are people really surprised that a 60g served of olive oil or mayo based dressing is high in cals?

They don't tell you in advance that the amount is 60g
    You don't realise it's 60g when it's all "chopped" up.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,010 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

But surely you can somewhat see the amount, assume you seen/made a salad before. I love my peri peri mayo, but I'm under no illusions when I order chicken and salad covered in the stuff. :D

Getting the sauce on the side is a good solution and I'm glad they encourage that.
    Salads aren't just for weigt loss, so 60g of dressing could be fine for a lot of people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

Mellor wrote: »
    But surely you can somewhat see the amount, assume you seen/made a salad before. I love my peri peri mayo, but I'm under no illusions when I order chicken and salad covered in the stuff. :D

Getting the sauce on the side is a good solution and I'm glad they encourage that.
    Salads aren't just for weigt loss, so 60g of dressing could be fine for a lot of people

It's pretty hard to know what 60g of dressing looks like when the person is squirting it out behind a counter. You're not always watching them, you mightn't have a good view and you might be paying for it as they're adding it in.

I would've guessed 100kcal for what they add and a lot more if you get it on the side, which I since have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

Wrong forum

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Lunaarli

Does anyone know where you can buy the large mezzaluna knife that they use to chop up the ingredients?!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dubguy2017

Was not impressed. Got a sald bowel here one day and Id say twas 98% leaves! Wont be going again. Way over rated and not worth the money

• Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Lunaarli wrote: »
    Does anyone know where you can buy the large mezzaluna knife that they use to chop up the ingredients?!

Not large but you can get them on Littlewoods.

Don't seem to have large ones on Amazon either. Maybe some place that sells to trade might have them.

Stock, up by the Gaeity, might have them as well.

Someone else got a similar knife, a bit smaller, in Meadows and Byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

I find chopped great once you watch what you get...I get my own made up rather than off the set menu ..spinach with a couple of turkey portions and loads of fresh veg,salad and maybe goats cheese and walnuts,I always get dressing on side..normally calories wise it's around 500 and protein is about 30 grams and good fats...the portions are huge and definitely does me as a main dinner.
    For lunch the spinach wraps are lower again for calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

I love salads but I am always left feeling underwhelmed with Chopped. I know its ironic but I think they chop-up their salads way too much. Its usually a soggy mess halfway through. I'm not mad on their combos either so usually get my own made up.

Sprout and Co on Dawson Street is unbelievably good. Their salads are unreal - probably high on calories but my god are they tasty. In a different league to chopped. Hopefully they open one on the Northside!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

I recently started using my food processor again and forgot how useful it is. You can throw in a massive pile of chicken/turkey and whatever vegetables you want and just press a button for a few seconds and it chops it all up into something similar to what you get in Chopped. Then you can throw on whatever low calorie dressings you want.

Sometimes though you're just out in town and don't have time to prepare anything and in that case, there's not many better options than Chopped. Some Tescos and Spars have delis where you can take your own mix of salads but you usually have to buy the meat separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

Has anyone a link to the menu with calories, can't find it anywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 topanga

I found this - m3mulhuddartservices.ie/custom/public/files/chopped-screen-menus.pdf - but they don't seem to have the calories listed on their main website any more.

Advertisement